Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's Dinner

When we were at some grocery store the other day, Angela spotted some Sloppy
Joe mix in a can. She wanted to try it. She does this every now and then,
totally forgetting that she has ever had this food and of course totally
forgetting that she didn't like said food. However, I happened to remember
the can of Sloppy Joe mix that I had in the house already, purchased for
fifty cents at Big Lots some time ago. So I told her I would make them.

I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years ago
at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large section,
carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in another.
Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband but the
section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.

So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating. I'll
have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its thing.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/02/2011 11:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

For those of us who only eat real food what the hell is a sloppy joe
with wavy lays ?

Is this some new kinky stuff ?

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia-

Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years ago
: at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large section,
: carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in another.
: Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband but the
: section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.
:
: So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating. I'll
: have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its thing.
:
:

: For those of us who only eat real food what the hell is a sloppy joe
: with wavy lays ?

: Is this some new kinky stuff ?

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia-

Waavy lays are a kind of potato chip(crisp?) wfrom the Lay's potto chip
company. sloppy Joes are a kind os wet beef stuff, made with ground beef
, tomatoes, and other vegetables that usually are served on hamburger buns
adn kind of run off the bun, hench the sloppy in the ame. iI didn't know
they came in cans, however, as the one time I made them for my kids I just
followed a recipe from scratch. My kinds preferred regular hamburgers so
I didn't bothe with them again.

I hope that helps you. We do, occsionally get oz foods listed by people
with names we don't know here in the US and sometimes ask for
explainations of them too.

Wendy
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
[...]

They must be American foods. Sloppy Joes are ground beef cooked crumbled
and then mixed into a tomato sauce. It is more sweet than a spaghetti sauce
but not the same as a BBQ sauce either. Usually served on a hamburger bun.
But the meat can just be eaten with a fork. I think it got the name
"sloppy" because if you try to pick up the bun, the meat just goes all over.
I eat it with a fork.

Wavy Lays are a type of ripple potato chip. Different than Ruffles but I
can't remember how. One of them has larger ripples and one has smaller
ones.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
RodS wrote:
[...]

You can buy the sauce premade in cans. I know it is very easy to make from
scratch. I used to do it when I was a kid. However it is not something
that any of us like all that well. Just once a year or so, one of us will
decide that we want it. And then that one meal is enough for us to know
that we don't want it again for a long time. Heh. I only bought the stuff
in the can because it was 50 cents and I couldn't make it from scratch for
that price! You do have to add your own meat to it. Would be better if you
could buy it all the way pre-made in can like chili and then you could just
heat it through.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds similar to our savoury mince (which is in a brown gravy rather
than tomato sauce). Something we used to eat a lot of back in the day,
served on toast - eaten with knife and fork. Similar to the meat part of
a shepherd's pie.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Sounds similar to our savoury mince (which is in a brown gravy rather than
tomato sauce). Something we used to eat a lot of back in the day, served
on toast - eaten with knife and fork. Similar to the meat part of a
shepherd's pie.

I looked up the recipe. It has been years since I made it from scratch. I
used to use tomato paste. Most recipes also have onion and red or green
bell pepper. Some use ketchup instead of tomato paste. There is usually a
bit of mustard added and maybe brown sugar. I saw one recipe that used BBQ
sauce.

I make the meat in gravy all the time. We usually eat it over mashed
potatoes but sometimes rice or pasta if I have no potatoes. Would be good
on toast too.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" wrote in message
On 7/02/2011 3:33 AM, Susan wrote:
sloppy joe

Basically a secrete ground meat sandwich
the secrete being the gound meant commercially is made from all the
animal bits left over
lips arseholes etc

No it's not! It's ground beef in a tomato sauce with some added veggies.