Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's Dinner

When we were at some grocery store the other day, Angela spotted some Sloppy
Joe mix in a can. She wanted to try it. She does this every now and then,
totally forgetting that she has ever had this food and of course totally
forgetting that she didn't like said food. However, I happened to remember
the can of Sloppy Joe mix that I had in the house already, purchased for
fifty cents at Big Lots some time ago. So I told her I would make them.

I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years ago
at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large section,
carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in another.
Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband but the
section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.

So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating. I'll
have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/02/2011 11:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> When we were at some grocery store the other day, Angela spotted some Sloppy
> Joe mix in a can. She wanted to try it. She does this every now and then,
> totally forgetting that she has ever had this food and of course totally
> forgetting that she didn't like said food. However, I happened to remember
> the can of Sloppy Joe mix that I had in the house already, purchased for
> fifty cents at Big Lots some time ago. So I told her I would make them.
>
> I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years ago
> at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large section,
> carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in another.
> Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband but the
> section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.
>
> So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating. I'll
> have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its thing.

For those of us who only eat real food what the hell is a sloppy joe
with wavy lays ?

Is this some new kinky stuff ?

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia-

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS > wrote:
: On 6/02/2011 11:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > When we were at some grocery store the other day, Angela spotted some Sloppy
: > Joe mix in a can. She wanted to try it. She does this every now and then,
: > totally forgetting that she has ever had this food and of course totally
: > forgetting that she didn't like said food. However, I happened to remember
: > the can of Sloppy Joe mix that I had in the house already, purchased for
: > fifty cents at Big Lots some time ago. So I told her I would make them.
: >
: > I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years ago
: > at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large section,
: > carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in another.
: > Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband but the
: > section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.
: >
: > So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating. I'll
: > have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its thing.
: >
: >

: For those of us who only eat real food what the hell is a sloppy joe
: with wavy lays ?

: Is this some new kinky stuff ?

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia-

Waavy lays are a kind of potato chip(crisp?) wfrom the Lay's potto chip
company. sloppy Joes are a kind os wet beef stuff, made with ground beef
, tomatoes, and other vegetables that usually are served on hamburger buns
adn kind of run off the bun, hench the sloppy in the ame. iI didn't know
they came in cans, however, as the one time I made them for my kids I just
followed a recipe from scratch. My kinds preferred regular hamburgers so
I didn't bothe with them again.

I hope that helps you. We do, occsionally get oz foods listed by people
with names we don't know here in the US and sometimes ask for
explainations of them too.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 6/02/2011 11:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> When we were at some grocery store the other day, Angela spotted some
>> Sloppy
>> Joe mix in a can. She wanted to try it. She does this every now and
>> then,
>> totally forgetting that she has ever had this food and of course totally
>> forgetting that she didn't like said food. However, I happened to
>> remember
>> the can of Sloppy Joe mix that I had in the house already, purchased for
>> fifty cents at Big Lots some time ago. So I told her I would make them.
>>
>> I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years
>> ago
>> at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large
>> section,
>> carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in another.
>> Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband but
>> the
>> section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.
>>
>> So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating. I'll
>> have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its thing.
>>

> For those of us who only eat real food what the hell is a sloppy joe with
> wavy lays ?
>
> Is this some new kinky stuff ?

They must be American foods. Sloppy Joes are ground beef cooked crumbled
and then mixed into a tomato sauce. It is more sweet than a spaghetti sauce
but not the same as a BBQ sauce either. Usually served on a hamburger bun.
But the meat can just be eaten with a fork. I think it got the name
"sloppy" because if you try to pick up the bun, the meat just goes all over.
I eat it with a fork.

Wavy Lays are a type of ripple potato chip. Different than Ruffles but I
can't remember how. One of them has larger ripples and one has smaller
ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> RodS > wrote:
> : On 6/02/2011 11:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : > When we were at some grocery store the other day, Angela spotted some
> Sloppy
> : > Joe mix in a can. She wanted to try it. She does this every now and
> then,
> : > totally forgetting that she has ever had this food and of course
> totally
> : > forgetting that she didn't like said food. However, I happened to
> remember
> : > the can of Sloppy Joe mix that I had in the house already, purchased
> for
> : > fifty cents at Big Lots some time ago. So I told her I would make
> them.
> : >
> : > I served these on some cute little divided trays that I got many years
> ago
> : > at Walmart in their summer section. The Sloppy Joe is in the large
> section,
> : > carrots in one section, black olives in another and Wavy Lays in
> another.
> : > Actually, Angela declined the Wavy Lays. I gave some to my husband
> but the
> : > section is so small it only holds less than a handful of them.
> : >
> : > So far no complaints from them. All is quiet and they are eating.
> I'll
> : > have to eat mine later. Takes a while for that Carafate to do its
> thing.
> : >
> : >
>

> : For those of us who only eat real food what the hell is a sloppy joe
> : with wavy lays ?
>
> : Is this some new kinky stuff ?
>
> : (- -)
> : =m=(_)=m=
> : RodS T2
> : Australia-
>
> Waavy lays are a kind of potato chip(crisp?) wfrom the Lay's potto chip
> company. sloppy Joes are a kind os wet beef stuff, made with ground beef
> , tomatoes, and other vegetables that usually are served on hamburger buns
> adn kind of run off the bun, hench the sloppy in the ame. iI didn't know
> they came in cans, however, as the one time I made them for my kids I just
> followed a recipe from scratch. My kinds preferred regular hamburgers so
> I didn't bothe with them again.
>
> I hope that helps you. We do, occsionally get oz foods listed by people
> with names we don't know here in the US and sometimes ask for
> explainations of them too.

You can buy the sauce premade in cans. I know it is very easy to make from
scratch. I used to do it when I was a kid. However it is not something
that any of us like all that well. Just once a year or so, one of us will
decide that we want it. And then that one meal is enough for us to know
that we don't want it again for a long time. Heh. I only bought the stuff
in the can because it was 50 cents and I couldn't make it from scratch for
that price! You do have to add your own meat to it. Would be better if you
could buy it all the way pre-made in can like chili and then you could just
heat it through.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds similar to our savoury mince (which is in a brown gravy rather
than tomato sauce). Something we used to eat a lot of back in the day,
served on toast - eaten with knife and fork. Similar to the meat part of
a shepherd's pie.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> They must be American foods. Sloppy Joes are ground beef cooked
> crumbled and then mixed into a tomato sauce. It is more sweet than a
> spaghetti sauce but not the same as a BBQ sauce either. Usually
> served on a hamburger bun. But the meat can just be eaten with a fork.
> I think it got the name "sloppy" because if you try to pick up the
> bun, the meat just goes all over. I eat it with a fork.
>
> Wavy Lays are a type of ripple potato chip. Different than Ruffles
> but I can't remember how. One of them has larger ripples and one has
> smaller ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Sounds similar to our savoury mince (which is in a brown gravy rather than
> tomato sauce). Something we used to eat a lot of back in the day, served
> on toast - eaten with knife and fork. Similar to the meat part of a
> shepherd's pie.

I looked up the recipe. It has been years since I made it from scratch. I
used to use tomato paste. Most recipes also have onion and red or green
bell pepper. Some use ketchup instead of tomato paste. There is usually a
bit of mustard added and maybe brown sugar. I saw one recipe that used BBQ
sauce.

I make the meat in gravy all the time. We usually eat it over mashed
potatoes but sometimes rice or pasta if I have no potatoes. Would be good
on toast too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 7/02/2011 3:33 AM, Susan wrote:
>> sloppy joe

> Basically a secrete ground meat sandwich
> the secrete being the gound meant commercially is made from all the
> animal bits left over
> lips arseholes etc

No it's not! It's ground beef in a tomato sauce with some added veggies.