Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Soup for dinner!

Seeing as how my refrigerator is packed, I have to use up some food. We've
just been eating dinner out far too often lately.

I'm doing sort of a minestrone but no pasta in it. There are potatoes.
Why? Because I need to use them up. The remaining red potatoes I got from
Costco were starting to go bad. Not really sprouting but about half of them
were beginning to go soft and were slightly wrinkled. I would have
preferred kidney beans but the first thing I pulled out of the cupboard were
small red beans. I do need to use those up. A couple of years ago, my
husband determined that those were the best beans for nutrition so was
eating a can a day. Then of course after I stocked up, he quit eating them.
Bah! I think I'm down to 2 or 3 cans of them now.

Angela and my husband are having roasted chicken and American cheese
sandwiches along with it. Why? She found some football picks at Target and
wanted to put them in a sandwich for her dad. We also had part of a loaf of
bread that expires today. So that worked.

Now if we just hadn't spilled that salad all over the floor, things would be
good! We ate last night at Wendy's. Not my favorite place by a long shot
but it was cheap and we can get stuff free of allergens. I was too full to
eat my salad so brought it home. The lid never did want to fit tightly and
Angela accidentally knocked it out. It spilled all inside the fridge and on
the floor. At least there was no dressing on it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Seeing as how my refrigerator is packed, I have to use up some food.
> We've just been eating dinner out far too often lately.
>
> I'm doing sort of a minestrone but no pasta in it. There are potatoes.
> Why? Because I need to use them up. The remaining red potatoes I got
> from Costco were starting to go bad. Not really sprouting but about half
> of them were beginning to go soft and were slightly wrinkled. I would
> have preferred kidney beans but the first thing I pulled out of the
> cupboard were small red beans. I do need to use those up. A couple of
> years ago, my husband determined that those were the best beans for
> nutrition so was eating a can a day. Then of course after I stocked up,
> he quit eating them. Bah! I think I'm down to 2 or 3 cans of them now.
>
> Angela and my husband are having roasted chicken and American cheese
> sandwiches along with it. Why? She found some football picks at Target
> and wanted to put them in a sandwich for her dad. We also had part of a
> loaf of bread that expires today. So that worked.
>
> Now if we just hadn't spilled that salad all over the floor, things would
> be good! We ate last night at Wendy's. Not my favorite place by a long
> shot but it was cheap and we can get stuff free of allergens. I was too
> full to eat my salad so brought it home. The lid never did want to fit
> tightly and Angela accidentally knocked it out. It spilled all inside the
> fridge and on the floor. At least there was no dressing on it.

I have a small piece of prime rib, and a whole container of au-jus left. I
am going to cut the prime rib into smallish pieces, trimming off all the
fatty parts, and I will make a beef vegetable barley soup out of it today.
I will use the container of au-jus and add some more water and a couple of
beef bouillion cubes to that to get some liquid going. I will add some
barley and a can of tomatoes to that. Then I will put some chopped
carrots, celery, onion, parsnip, chopped mushrooms and potatoes into it. I
think it will probably be pretty tasty. Perhaps I will add some of the
leftover green beans from the other nights dinner, and a can of kidney beans
too.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: I have a small piece of prime rib, and a whole container of au-jus left. I
: am going to cut the prime rib into smallish pieces, trimming off all the
: fatty parts, and I will make a beef vegetable barley soup out of it today.
: I will use the container of au-jus and add some more water and a couple of
: beef bouillion cubes to that to get some liquid going. I will add some
: barley and a can of tomatoes to that. Then I will put some chopped
: carrots, celery, onion, parsnip, chopped mushrooms and potatoes into it. I
: think it will probably be pretty tasty. Perhaps I will add some of the
: leftover green beans from the other nights dinner, and a can of kidney beans
: too.

: --

: Evelyn

How aboaut lots of sliced or chumked mushrooms for taste and texture
rather than chopping them? I also woudl add the green beans only at the
end to keep then green:-) Sounds yumy.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : I have a small piece of prime rib, and a whole container of au-jus left.
> : am going to cut the prime rib into smallish pieces, trimming off all the
> : fatty parts, and I will make a beef vegetable barley soup out of it
> today.
> : I will use the container of au-jus and add some more water and a couple
> of
> : beef bouillion cubes to that to get some liquid going. I will add some
> : barley and a can of tomatoes to that. Then I will put some chopped
> : carrots, celery, onion, parsnip, chopped mushrooms and potatoes into it.
> : think it will probably be pretty tasty. Perhaps I will add some of the
> : leftover green beans from the other nights dinner, and a can of kidney
> beans
> : too.
>
> : --
>
> : Evelyn
>
> How aboaut lots of sliced or chumked mushrooms for taste and texture
> rather than chopping them? I also woudl add the green beans only at the
> end to keep then green:-) Sounds yumy.
>
> Wendy

Yes, that is exactly how I would do it. I wanted to get around to it
today, but got so busy with running around and shopping etc. It was great,
the stores were not mobbed like last week!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had cleared
the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to conserve funds for
the trip south. We stayed with daughter and grandkids so no accommodation
costs but we still needed fuel, a motel on the way down and Xmas...

We drove for 12 hours yesterday, normally I could do the trip in 10 (over
two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all she does too
much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and it also rained almost
the entire way including several times where visibility was down to almost
nothing because of torrential rain. We also took a different route to avoid
the main highway and its problems, thought it would be better for son, lol.
He certainly learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while aqua planing,
how to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains while there is
cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across the road. That
route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things considered. Once we
hit our state he was able to drive to the local speed limits, no limits here
(sadly IMO). I had been driving in front of him most of the way to make sure
his speed stayed right - the police presence was enormous and one fine, no
matter how small is the end of his licence.

Yesterday being a public holiday meant no shops open at 8.30 last night when
we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and some salsa and
crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast for brekky with PB, no
tea (out of tea and milk).

I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a pretty
filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got frozen mash, frozen
corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy, lol. Some carrots also
lasted the last 17 days in the fridge vegetable crisper. Two more days
before I can shop properly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> How aboaut lots of sliced or chumked mushrooms for taste and texture
> rather than chopping them? I also woudl add the green beans only at the
> end to keep then green:-) Sounds yumy.

I love green beans and would happily put them in anything. They used to be
Angela's favorite vegetable but all of a sudden she went off of them.
Now her favorite vegetable (and I know it's a grain and not really a veg) is
corn. She will eat raw baby carrots and most of the time I can get her to
eat a salad. Also I tend to put onions in everything she she is also
getting those.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had cleared
> the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to conserve funds for
> the trip south. We stayed with daughter and grandkids so no accommodation
> costs but we still needed fuel, a motel on the way down and Xmas...
>
> We drove for 12 hours yesterday, normally I could do the trip in 10 (over
> two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all she does too
> much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and it also rained almost
> the entire way including several times where visibility was down to almost
> nothing because of torrential rain. We also took a different route to
> avoid the main highway and its problems, thought it would be better for
> son, lol. He certainly learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while
> aqua planing, how to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains
> while there is cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across
> the road. That route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things
> considered. Once we hit our state he was able to drive to the local speed
> limits, no limits here (sadly IMO). I had been driving in front of him
> most of the way to make sure his speed stayed right - the police presence
> was enormous and one fine, no matter how small is the end of his licence.
>
> Yesterday being a public holiday meant no shops open at 8.30 last night
> when we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and some salsa
> and crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast for brekky with
> PB, no tea (out of tea and milk).
>
> I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a pretty
> filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got frozen mash,
> frozen corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy, lol. Some carrots
> also lasted the last 17 days in the fridge vegetable crisper. Two more
> days before I can shop properly.

This is why I always keep plenty of fresh and dried things in the house. In
my garage, I have cases of canned chicken, turkey, beef and tuna. There is
a case of corn, green beans, refried beans, a couple of cases of black
olives, two large jars of green olives, pasta sauce, olive oil, plain tomato
sauce, canned chili and soup, rice milk, broth. juices and perhaps a few
other things I've forgotten. Also extra loaves of Angela's bread in a
plastic bin with lid. No other stuff that the rats might get into. *Knock
wood* I do try to get a couple of single serve shelf stable milks, but
don't have any at the moment.

In the kitchen I have freeze dried onion, bell peppers, carrots and dried
celery, in addition to all sorts of canned foods. I only buy extra of the
stuff we use a lot of. We also have plenty of rice both pre-cooked and
uncooked and special pasta. I also buy shelf stable (until it's opened)
bacon.

I figure we can't possibly get snowed in this year, with all that food. And
at least a dozen pairs of gloves, several scarves and new coats and boots
for all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
[...]

Jan,

Sounds like quite a trip! Delighted to hear tht there was rain, even if
it was a severe learning experience for your son. I well remember my
first 2 trips alone in the car. Trip one was not that far, but I had to
drive home in a blinding snowstorm. the second was 40 miles on
unfamiliar back roads at night in dense fog. I think I was going at 2 MPH
for a good part of that trip. I was absolutely shaking when I got home.
this was over 50 years ago and is still fresh in my mind.

Hope you get some decent food soon. and Happy New Year!

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got frozen mash,
> frozen
> : corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy, lol. Some carrots also
> : lasted the last 17 days in the fridge vegetable crisper. Two more days
> : before I can shop properly.
>
> Jan,
>
> Sounds like quite a trip! Delighted to hear tht there was rain, even if
> it was a severe learning experience for your son. I well remember my
> first 2 trips alone in the car. Trip one was not that far, but I had to
> drive home in a blinding snowstorm. the second was 40 miles on
> unfamiliar back roads at night in dense fog. I think I was going at 2 MPH
> for a good part of that trip. I was absolutely shaking when I got home.
> this was over 50 years ago and is still fresh in my mind.
>
> Hope you get some decent food soon. and Happy New Year!

I second that Jan, and welcome back.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had cleared
> the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to conserve funds for
> the trip south. We stayed with daughter and grandkids so no accommodation
> costs but we still needed fuel, a motel on the way down and Xmas...
>
> We drove for 12 hours yesterday, normally I could do the trip in 10 (over
> two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all she does too
> much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and it also rained almost
> the entire way including several times where visibility was down to almost
> nothing because of torrential rain. We also took a different route to
> avoid the main highway and its problems, thought it would be better for
> son, lol. He certainly learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while
> aqua planing, how to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains
> while there is cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across
> the road. That route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things
> considered. Once we hit our state he was able to drive to the local speed
> limits, no limits here (sadly IMO). I had been driving in front of him
> most of the way to make sure his speed stayed right - the police presence
> was enormous and one fine, no matter how small is the end of his licence.
>
> Yesterday being a public holiday meant no shops open at 8.30 last night
> when we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and some salsa
> and crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast for brekky with
> PB, no tea (out of tea and milk).
>
> I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a pretty
> filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got frozen mash,
> frozen corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy, lol. Some carrots
> also lasted the last 17 days in the fridge vegetable crisper. Two more
> days before I can shop properly.

Hope you had a chance to catch up by today! Sounds like it was a good
time!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Sounds like quite a trip! Delighted to hear tht there was rain, even
> if it was a severe learning experience for your son. I well remember
> my first 2 trips alone in the car. Trip one was not that far, but I
> had to drive home in a blinding snowstorm. the second was 40 miles
> on unfamiliar back roads at night in dense fog. I think I was going
> at 2 MPH for a good part of that trip. I was absolutely shaking when
> I got home. this was over 50 years ago and is still fresh in my mind.
>
> Hope you get some decent food soon. and Happy New Year!
>
> Wendy

Lol, Wendy, I told my son that almost the only weather conditions we didn't
encounter were snow and blizzards Food shopping tomorrow! My 15 yr old is
the one suffering, no junk food! I woke to find the fridge full of water
being chilled I reckon by lunch time he will be wishing he hadn't said
yuk to the can of sardines I offered him yesterday (which I ate..) He found
a lonely packet of potato chips and some microwave popcorn in the back of
the pantry. Last night I found some crumbed chicken fillets in a bag under
veggies. He asked how long we had had them and I said dunno He ate them
despite that niggly worry had, lol. He also ate all his carrots and most of
his beans - gotta be a first for everything! This is a good way to finish up
the bits and pieces around the house before we move in 3 weeks time. Happy
New Year to you too, we will probably go to Brisbane for New Year to spend
it with my other son - its only about 30 minutes away.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>> I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had
>>> cleared the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to
>>> conserve funds for the trip south. We stayed with daughter and
>>> grandkids so no accommodation costs but we still needed fuel, a
>>> motel on the way down and Xmas...

>>> We drove for 12 hours yesterday, normally I could do the trip in 10
>>> (over two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all
>>> she does too much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and
>>> it also rained almost the entire way including several times where
>>> visibility was down to almost nothing because of torrential rain.
>>> We also took a different route to avoid the main highway and its
>>> problems, thought it would be better for son, lol. He certainly
>>> learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while aqua planing, how
>>> to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains while there is
>>> cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across the
>>> road. That route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things
>>> considered. Once we hit our state he was able to drive to the local
>>> speed limits, no limits here (sadly IMO). I had been driving in
>>> front of him most of the way to make sure his speed stayed right -
>>> the police presence was enormous and one fine, no matter how small
>>> is the end of his licence.

>>> Yesterday being a public holiday meant no shops open at 8.30 last
>>> night when we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and
>>> some salsa and crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast
>>> for brekky with PB, no tea (out of tea and milk).

>>> I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a
>>> pretty filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got
>>> frozen mash, frozen corn and frozen peas and a can of instant
>>> gravy, lol. Some carrots also lasted the last 17 days in the fridge
>>> vegetable crisper. Two more days before I can shop properly.

>> Jan,
>>
>> Sounds like quite a trip! Delighted to hear tht there was rain,
>> even if it was a severe learning experience for your son. I well
>> remember my first 2 trips alone in the car. Trip one was not that
>> far, but I had to drive home in a blinding snowstorm. the second
>> was 40 miles on unfamiliar back roads at night in dense fog. I
>> think I was going at 2 MPH for a good part of that trip. I was
>> absolutely shaking when I got home. this was over 50 years ago and
>> is still fresh in my mind. Hope you get some decent food soon. and Happy
>> New Year!
>>
>> Wendy

> I second that Jan, and welcome back.
>
> Cheri

Thanks Cheri, I think everyone should do a road trip at least once in their
lives My niece and her friends recently did a 24 hour one after the
sudden death of my niece's newly ex-boyfriend. Wanted to spend Xmas with her
daddy and could have flown but some friends decided she needed a road trip
The boy who drove her had to come back pretty much straight away for work
and he called in here for shower, a hot meal and a quick rest - although he
was a total stranger he talked about the trip and said it had been the best
thing for all of them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > Jan,
: >
[...]

Are you moving house again or just ging off to visit somewhere?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had
>> cleared the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to
>> conserve funds for the trip south. We stayed with daughter and
>> grandkids so no accommodation costs but we still needed fuel, a
>> motel on the way down and Xmas... We drove for 12 hours yesterday,
>> normally I could do the trip in 10
>> (over two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all
>> she does too much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and it
>> also rained almost the entire way including several times where
>> visibility was down to almost nothing because of torrential rain. We
>> also took a different route to avoid the main highway and its
>> problems, thought it would be better for son, lol. He certainly
>> learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while aqua planing, how
>> to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains while there is
>> cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across the road.
>> That route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things
>> considered. Once we hit our state he was able to drive to the local
>> speed limits, no limits here (sadly IMO). I had been driving in
>> front of him most of the way to make sure his speed stayed right -
>> the police presence was enormous and one fine, no matter how small
>> is the end of his licence. Yesterday being a public holiday meant no
>> shops open at 8.30 last
>> night when we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and
>> some salsa and crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast
>> for brekky with PB, no tea (out of tea and milk).
>>
>> I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a
>> pretty filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got
>> frozen mash, frozen corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy,
>> lol. Some carrots also lasted the last 17 days in the fridge
>> vegetable crisper. Two more days before I can shop properly.

> Hope you had a chance to catch up by today! Sounds like it was a
> good time!

I want to sleep for a week! I usually break the trip half way but we
couldn't do that this time. I have never driven that far in my life in one
go. Pity I am moving in 3 weeks time or I would sit on my butt for the rest
of the school holidays. Most things are packed up but I still need to pack a
bit more and clean cupboards etc before the big cleaning jobs (carpet,
blinds, windows and frames etc - carpets and blinds have to be done
professionally as per my lease but I will do all the windows). So no rest
for the wicked

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had
>>> cleared the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to
>>> conserve funds for the trip south. We stayed with daughter and
>>> grandkids so no accommodation costs but we still needed fuel, a
>>> motel on the way down and Xmas... We drove for 12 hours yesterday,
>>> normally I could do the trip in 10
>>> (over two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all
>>> she does too much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and it
>>> also rained almost the entire way including several times where
>>> visibility was down to almost nothing because of torrential rain. We
>>> also took a different route to avoid the main highway and its
>>> problems, thought it would be better for son, lol. He certainly
>>> learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while aqua planing, how
>>> to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains while there is
>>> cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across the road.
>>> That route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things
>>> considered. Once we hit our state he was able to drive to the local
>>> speed limits, no limits here (sadly IMO). I had been driving in
>>> front of him most of the way to make sure his speed stayed right -
>>> the police presence was enormous and one fine, no matter how small
>>> is the end of his licence. Yesterday being a public holiday meant no
>>> shops open at 8.30 last
>>> night when we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and
>>> some salsa and crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast
>>> for brekky with PB, no tea (out of tea and milk).
>>>
>>> I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a
>>> pretty filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got
>>> frozen mash, frozen corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy,
>>> lol. Some carrots also lasted the last 17 days in the fridge
>>> vegetable crisper. Two more days before I can shop properly.

>> Hope you had a chance to catch up by today! Sounds like it was a
>> good time!

> I want to sleep for a week! I usually break the trip half way but we
> couldn't do that this time. I have never driven that far in my life in one
> go. Pity I am moving in 3 weeks time or I would sit on my butt for the
> rest of the school holidays. Most things are packed up but I still need to
> pack a bit more and clean cupboards etc before the big cleaning jobs
> (carpet, blinds, windows and frames etc - carpets and blinds have to be
> done professionally as per my lease but I will do all the windows). So no
> rest for the wicked

Good luck, and I hope it goes smoothly. IMO, moving is the closest thing
to hell....... ;-(

When we moved here 9 years ago, hubby and I just about swore never
again.......

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>> W. Baker wrote:

>>> Jan,
>>>
>>> Sounds like quite a trip! Delighted to hear tht there was rain,
>>> even if it was a severe learning experience for your son. I well
>>> remember my first 2 trips alone in the car. Trip one was not that
>>> far, but I had to drive home in a blinding snowstorm. the second
>>> was 40 miles on unfamiliar back roads at night in dense fog. I
>>> think I was going at 2 MPH for a good part of that trip. I was
>>> absolutely shaking when I got home. this was over 50 years ago and
>>> is still fresh in my mind.
>>>
>>> Hope you get some decent food soon. and Happy New Year!
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Lol, Wendy, I told my son that almost the only weather conditions we
>> didn't encounter were snow and blizzards Food shopping tomorrow!
>> My 15 yr old is the one suffering, no junk food! I woke to find the
>> fridge full of water being chilled I reckon by lunch time he will
>> be wishing he hadn't said yuk to the can of sardines I offered him
>> yesterday (which I ate..) He found a lonely packet of potato chips
>> and some microwave popcorn in the back of the pantry. Last night I
>> found some crumbed chicken fillets in a bag under veggies. He asked
>> how long we had had them and I said dunno He ate them despite
>> that niggly worry had, lol. He also ate all his carrots and most of
>> his beans - gotta be a first for everything! This is a good way to
>> finish up the bits and pieces around the house before we move in 3
>> weeks time. Happy New Year to you too, we will probably go to
>> Brisbane for New Year to spend it with my other son - its only about
>> 30 minutes away.

> Are you moving house again or just ging off to visit somewhere?

Moving house Lease runs out on the 20th Jan. When I moved here a year ago
from interstate I chose the Gold Coast, my son chose Brisbane. Now all 3
sons want to be close together again so I am making the move to Brisbane. As
one son has a job in Brisbane and the one who came back from holidays with
me needs a job we figured it made more sense. Jobs are scarce but second son
looks like getting work where first son works... I can harass RodS more
often now as well We will be 30 minutes closer, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Hope you had a chance to catch up by today! Sounds like it was a
>>> good time!

>> I want to sleep for a week! I usually break the trip half way but we
>> couldn't do that this time. I have never driven that far in my life
>> in one go. Pity I am moving in 3 weeks time or I would sit on my
>> butt for the rest of the school holidays. Most things are packed up
>> but I still need to pack a bit more and clean cupboards etc before
>> the big cleaning jobs (carpet, blinds, windows and frames etc -
>> carpets and blinds have to be done professionally as per my lease
>> but I will do all the windows). So no rest for the wicked

> Good luck, and I hope it goes smoothly. IMO, moving is the closest
> thing to hell....... ;-(
>
> When we moved here 9 years ago, hubby and I just about swore never
> again.......

When I moved a year ago I offloaded about 2/3 of my belongings to make the
trip affordable. We were also down two kids, now have only two at home. So I
have lived simplistically for the past year. Being a local move I won't have
to pack in quite the same way either. We have built in robes so I only have
beds, a couple of small bedside tables, dining suite (small) no lounge
suite, 3 tv's and stands, a desk, washing machine and the rest is small
stuff and clothes, books etc. Kitchen stuff as well. This move will be less
of a burden by a mile. Just the cleaning puts me off in temps if mid to high
30's with no a/c.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We have had many "Road Trips" as Hubby was in the Air Force for 30 years.
Our last road trip was in 2004 when we drove from Az, to North Carolina(3000
miles) to visit my Son and Family for Christmas...I think that will be our
last Long Road trip. We do take a day or weekend from time to time and
travel the back roads of AZ.....still haven't made it to the Grand Canyon
though... I think our longest road trip was from Florida to Anchorage
Alaska.

Jan, I don't know if I could watch my oldest Son drive that distance. I
remember when he was 16 and my husband and I were driving to the Mall and I
glanced in the mirror and saw this old pick up, pass cars in and out of
traffic...I about had a heart attack when I saw it was my son...I told him
from then on he wasn't allowed to drive on the same roads we were...if we
were going out we would tell him where...because I don't think I could live
through watching my son get into a wreck and that was what would happen if
he kept on driving like he did...he must have listened because he never had
an accident after that incidence...LOL.

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:

>>> Jan,
>>>
>>> Sounds like quite a trip! Delighted to hear tht there was rain,
>>> even if it was a severe learning experience for your son. I well
>>> remember my first 2 trips alone in the car. Trip one was not that
>>> far, but I had to drive home in a blinding snowstorm. the second
>>> was 40 miles on unfamiliar back roads at night in dense fog. I
>>> think I was going at 2 MPH for a good part of that trip. I was
>>> absolutely shaking when I got home. this was over 50 years ago and
>>> is still fresh in my mind. Hope you get some decent food soon. and Happy
>>> New Year!
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> I second that Jan, and welcome back.
>>
>> Cheri

> Thanks Cheri, I think everyone should do a road trip at least once in
> their lives My niece and her friends recently did a 24 hour one after
> the sudden death of my niece's newly ex-boyfriend. Wanted to spend Xmas
> with her daddy and could have flown but some friends decided she needed a
> road trip The boy who drove her had to come back pretty much straight
> away for work and he called in here for shower, a hot meal and a quick
> rest - although he was a total stranger he talked about the trip and said
> it had been the best thing for all of them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Hope you had a chance to catch up by today! Sounds like it was a
>>> good time!

>> I want to sleep for a week! I usually break the trip half way but we
>> couldn't do that this time. I have never driven that far in my life in
>> one go. Pity I am moving in 3 weeks time or I would sit on my butt for
>> the rest of the school holidays. Most things are packed up but I still
>> need to pack a bit more and clean cupboards etc before the big cleaning
>> jobs (carpet, blinds, windows and frames etc - carpets and blinds have to
>> be done professionally as per my lease but I will do all the windows). So
>> no rest for the wicked

> Good luck, and I hope it goes smoothly. IMO, moving is the closest thing
> to hell....... ;-(
>
> When we moved here 9 years ago, hubby and I just about swore never
> again.......
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Evelyn, That's what I told my husband ten years ago when we moved into this
house...I told him I was dying here and if he wanted to move out afterwards
he could...LOL...Then he got upset because I was NOT going to die before
him....what a Love

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Evelyn, That's what I told my husband ten years ago when we moved into
> this house...I told him I was dying here and if he wanted to move out
> afterwards he could...LOL...Then he got upset because I was NOT going to
> die before him....what a Love

My wife is constantly on me about smoking, drinking, eating and exercise.
She doesn't want me to die before her. She's 12 years younger than me and
her mother lived to 102. LOL

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:

> Jan, I don't know if I could watch my oldest Son drive that
> distance. I remember when he was 16 and my husband and I were driving
> to the Mall and I glanced in the mirror and saw this old pick up,
> pass cars in and out of traffic...I about had a heart attack when I
> saw it was my son...I told him from then on he wasn't allowed to
> drive on the same roads we were...if we were going out we would tell
> him where...because I don't think I could live through watching my
> son get into a wreck and that was what would happen if he kept on
> driving like he did...he must have listened because he never had an
> accident after that incidence...LOL.

Well, the alternative was him driving by himself on a different day and me
freaking for 12 hours or so until I knew he was safe I told him I had the
navigator and it warned of fixed radars and that he should drive behind me
and slow when I did and speed up when I did In actual fact, a few times I
drifted up to the speed limit (110k) and when I checked myself realised he
had stuck to his 90k limit. It was a public holiday and the roads were
actually very quiet and I also noticed that most people were content to stay
behind us doing the 90 instead of taking advantage of the full speed limit.
We only saw one idiot, who passed my son on double lines and was trying to
pass me as well, in a car that wasn't going to be able to pull the skin off
a rice pudding. I slowed and went closer to the shoulder and he still
couldn't pass me. When we saw him on a head on collision course I sped up so
he could fit in behind me. Other than that (and the weather conditions) it
was a fairly good run