Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Soup for dinner!

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Seeing as how my refrigerator is packed, I have to use up some food.
> We've just been eating dinner out far too often lately.
>
> I'm doing sort of a minestrone but no pasta in it. There are potatoes.
> Why? Because I need to use them up. The remaining red potatoes I got
> from Costco were starting to go bad. Not really sprouting but about half
> of them were beginning to go soft and were slightly wrinkled. I would
> have preferred kidney beans but the first thing I pulled out of the
> cupboard were small red beans. I do need to use those up. A couple of
> years ago, my husband determined that those were the best beans for
> nutrition so was eating a can a day. Then of course after I stocked up,
> he quit eating them. Bah! I think I'm down to 2 or 3 cans of them now.
>
> Angela and my husband are having roasted chicken and American cheese
> sandwiches along with it. Why? She found some football picks at Target
> and wanted to put them in a sandwich for her dad. We also had part of a
> loaf of bread that expires today. So that worked.
>
> Now if we just hadn't spilled that salad all over the floor, things would
> be good! We ate last night at Wendy's. Not my favorite place by a long
> shot but it was cheap and we can get stuff free of allergens. I was too
> full to eat my salad so brought it home. The lid never did want to fit
> tightly and Angela accidentally knocked it out. It spilled all inside the
> fridge and on the floor. At least there was no dressing on it.

I have a small piece of prime rib, and a whole container of au-jus left. I
am going to cut the prime rib into smallish pieces, trimming off all the
fatty parts, and I will make a beef vegetable barley soup out of it today.
I will use the container of au-jus and add some more water and a couple of
beef bouillion cubes to that to get some liquid going. I will add some
barley and a can of tomatoes to that. Then I will put some chopped
carrots, celery, onion, parsnip, chopped mushrooms and potatoes into it. I
think it will probably be pretty tasty. Perhaps I will add some of the
leftover green beans from the other nights dinner, and a can of kidney beans
too.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8