Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Soup dinner

FBG 112. Soup was ground pork, Graemebane (tofu), mushrooms, green onions,
Chinese greens and glass noodles in a rich, tasty broth, dusted with
FGBP. One hour postprandial BG 167, two hour 143. Well, there were a lot of
noodles in it. Gotta talk to my chef about that! Could've used a raw egg on
top, too.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >>[] Last night I used it in a chicken and scallop Thai curry.

> > Sounds good. Which Thai curry?
> >

> I used Taste of Thai red curry paste, a TBS of fish sauce and a can of
> coconut milk. Added chicken, simmered slowly a bit, addeds scallops and
> veggies and noodles til done. Served in a soup bowl with Chinese soup
> spoons, those wide porcelain ones.

Several styles of Thai red curries. E.g:

3. Red Curry I (Nam Prik King) Hot, rich and very fragrant (makes ¼ cup or
up to ½ cup if ground with water)

Ingredients (or buy the paste at a Thai-Asian market)

7 small dried red chiles, Thai, Japanese, New Mexican or Californian
2 pieces kah (also called galangal or lao) - a form of ginger -get them at
a Thai-Asian market
2 pieces Kaffir lime rind -get them at a Thai-Asian market
¼ cup warm water

1 stalk lemon grass, bottom 6 in. Only

¼ cup (1 oz.) finely chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons (1 oz.) finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon shrimp paste -get it at a Thai-Asian market

Remove the stems and the seeds from the chiles. Soak the chiles, kah and
Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for 15 minutes. Drain before using.
Retain the water for grinding (see below) if necessary.

Chop the chiles, kah, Kaffir lime rind and lemon grass finely. Combine the
ingredients and pound or grind in a mortar or blender. If you use a
blender, you may have to add a little water to aid in grinding. This will
last in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

4. Red Curry II (Nam Prig Gaeng Pet) (makes ¼ cup or up to ½ cup if ground
with water)

Ingredients:

9 small dried red chiles
2 pieces kah (galangal)
2 pieces Kaffir lime rind
1/4 cup warm water

1 stalk lemon grass, bottom 6 inches only
2 tbs finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tsp shrimp paste
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander root or bottom inch of cilantro

Procedu

1. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles. Soak the chiles, kah and
Kaffir lime leaves in the warm water at least 15 minutes. Drain, reserving
the water if you'll be using a blender later.

2. Chop the chiles, kah, Kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass finely.

3. Combine all and pound in a mortar or grind in a blender, adding water as
necessary, to form a smooth paste.

5. Roasted Red Curry (Nam Prik Pao)

This is the authentic, traditional recipe. Reduce the amount of shrimp
paste if you want, but don't eliminate it. A very strong odor will develop
when you're frying the dried shrimp and shrimp paste, so either prepare it
when no guests are around or on an outdoor BBQ, in which case, put the wok
directly on the red-hot coals. It will keep up to six months in the
'fridge. The oil will rise to the top, so stir before using. Spread thinly
on toast, serve as a cocktail snack, side dish or dip.

Ingredients (makes 3 cups):

3 oz. wet tamarind or tamarind extract
½ cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup warm water

1/4 lb. dried New Mexico, California or hotter chiles
1 cup vegetable oil

½ cup finely chopped garlic

1 cup finely chopped yellow onion

1-1/4 cups dried shrimp
1/4 cup shrimp paste

Procedu

1. Soak the wet tamarind in 3/4 cup warm water for 15 minutes, then press
through a sieve, getting all the pulp you can, including the water. Scrape
the outside of the sieve to get all the pulp. (skip this if using the
concentrate)

2. Place the tamarind solution and sugar in a saucepan, adding 3/4 cup warm
water if you use the concentrate). Bring to a boil and immediately remove
from heat. Let cool to room temp.

3. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and tear into pieces no
larger than 1" square. Heat a wok, add ½ cup oil and swirl over surface.
Stir fry the chiles over moderate heat until they are deep red and lightly
fragrant, but don't let them burn. Remove the chiles, but not the oil, from
the wok and set them aside in a bowl.

4. Add 2 more Tbs oil to the wok and stir fry the garlic 'til lightly
golden. Remove garlic, but not oil, and add it to the chiles.

5. Add another 2 Tbs oil to the wok and stir fry the onion 'til it's light
golden. Again, remove and add to chiles and garlic.

6. Add 1/4 cup more oil to the wok, add the dried shrimp and cook for about
1 minute, then add the shrimp paste and stir fry 'til the color is uniform
and the strong odor has subsided, 1 or 2 minutes. Add all the wok contents,
including the oil, to the previously fried ingredients and allow to come to
room temp.

7. Place the fried ingredients, oil and tamarind mixture in a food
processor or blender and grind to a smooth paste, adding more oil if it
seems dry. Store in closed jar.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~