Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Soup for dinner!

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I'd kill for all of it! We drove 950 km's home yesterday. I had cleared
> the fridge before I left, eating everything in sight to conserve funds for
> the trip south. We stayed with daughter and grandkids so no accommodation
> costs but we still needed fuel, a motel on the way down and Xmas...
>
> We drove for 12 hours yesterday, normally I could do the trip in 10 (over
> two days) but my son came back with me (missing mummy and all she does too
> much!) and he is limited to 90kph on his licence and it also rained almost
> the entire way including several times where visibility was down to almost
> nothing because of torrential rain. We also took a different route to
> avoid the main highway and its problems, thought it would be better for
> son, lol. He certainly learned a lot yesterday! Like how to drive while
> aqua planing, how to drive along narrow, tight roads through mountains
> while there is cloud around you, torrential rain and water running across
> the road. That route was also 120 k's longer so we did ok all things
> considered. Once we hit our state he was able to drive to the local speed
> limits, no limits here (sadly IMO). I had been driving in front of him
> most of the way to make sure his speed stayed right - the police presence
> was enormous and one fine, no matter how small is the end of his licence.
>
> Yesterday being a public holiday meant no shops open at 8.30 last night
> when we got home, the kids shared a packet of corn chips and some salsa
> and crashed, I had nothing for dinner and just ate toast for brekky with
> PB, no tea (out of tea and milk).
>
> I just looked in the freezer and figured I could feed the kids a pretty
> filling meal tonight if I get some sausages today Got frozen mash,
> frozen corn and frozen peas and a can of instant gravy, lol. Some carrots
> also lasted the last 17 days in the fridge vegetable crisper. Two more
> days before I can shop properly.

This is why I always keep plenty of fresh and dried things in the house. In
my garage, I have cases of canned chicken, turkey, beef and tuna. There is
a case of corn, green beans, refried beans, a couple of cases of black
olives, two large jars of green olives, pasta sauce, olive oil, plain tomato
sauce, canned chili and soup, rice milk, broth. juices and perhaps a few
other things I've forgotten. Also extra loaves of Angela's bread in a
plastic bin with lid. No other stuff that the rats might get into. *Knock
wood* I do try to get a couple of single serve shelf stable milks, but
don't have any at the moment.

In the kitchen I have freeze dried onion, bell peppers, carrots and dried
celery, in addition to all sorts of canned foods. I only buy extra of the
stuff we use a lot of. We also have plenty of rice both pre-cooked and
uncooked and special pasta. I also buy shelf stable (until it's opened)
bacon.

I figure we can't possibly get snowed in this year, with all that food. And
at least a dozen pairs of gloves, several scarves and new coats and boots
for all.