Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need suggestions for healthy food bars for travel

Atkins bars are perfect. Check out Wallmart.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"[email protected] laugh.com" wrote in message
Atkins bars are perfect. Check out Wallmart.

Bingo! Yes, they are, if you can find them.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"[email protected] laugh.com" wrote in message
Atkins bars are perfect. Check out Wallmart.

I did look at them, but they have sugar alcohols.

Thanks,
MaryL

Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

. ..

"[email protected] laugh.com" wrote in message
Atkins bars are perfect. Check out Wallmart.

I did look at them, but they have sugar alcohols.

Thanks,
MaryL

Mary, it may be a question of quantity. A tiny bit may not automatically
rule them out, unless you have an allergy or particular problem with them.
I remember when I was doing a strict Atkins startup a while ago. I ate a
sugar alcohol chocolate bar as a snack once in a while. It was absolutely
delicious, but oh my did it ever have the well known effect! As for me, I
actually do not particularly like the taste of sweets that much, and so I
would prefer a non sweet bar like the square bites bars I told you about.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Yes, I would prefer something natural and unsweetened. The square bites
bars sound perfect, but you also said they are local, so I'm not not too
optimistic about finding them. I am going to look for Kind bars today. If
I don't find any in the groceries, I'm going to order some from amazon.com.
I want to avoid Atkins simply because I have never eaten anything with sugar
alcohols. I don't know if I would have problem with diarrhea, but I don't
want to "experiment" on my once-in-a-lifetime vacation. There are some
spices, such as ginger, that cause severe "intestinal distress," but I
always read carefully for that.

MaryL

Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

. ..

"Evelyn" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Mary that link for the Square Bites had a phone number. I can't imagine
that they wouldn't ship some to you! Call and ask.

I haven't seen anything like these anywhere else, even in Trader Joes, which
I usually enjoy a lot. At the very least they could let you know if they
are available somewhere near where you live.

Like you, I just don't enjoy sweets that much... (thankfully!)

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

The Atkins bar I eat is called "Chocolate Chip Crisp" and there are no
sugars and only 1 gram of Sugar Alcohol. Other bars have more but this low
dose should be fine. Check them out.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

[email protected] laugh.com wrote in message
The Atkins bar I eat is called "Chocolate Chip Crisp" and there are no
sugars and only 1 gram of Sugar Alcohol. Other bars have more but this low
dose should be fine. Check them out.

Should be fine for whom? I can't eat sugar alcohols at all. Many of us
can't.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: [email protected] laugh.com wrote in message
: ...
: The Atkins bar I eat is called "Chocolate Chip Crisp" and there are no
: sugars and only 1 gram of Sugar Alcohol. Other bars have more but this low
: dose should be fine. Check them out.

: Should be fine for whom? I can't eat sugar alcohols at all. Many of us
: can't.

Many of us can tolerate a small amount, liek one cookie or one or two
;ieces of candy adn so can use them in moderation, with good control. You
won't know until you try it, but do read labels carfully and try only a
small amount at once.

There is no reaon to disallow it to all if only some can't use it at all.

Wendy
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: [email protected] laugh.com wrote in message
: ...
: The Atkins bar I eat is called "Chocolate Chip Crisp" and there are no
: sugars and only 1 gram of Sugar Alcohol. Other bars have more but this
low
: dose should be fine. Check them out.

: Should be fine for whom? I can't eat sugar alcohols at all. Many of us
: can't.

Many of us can tolerate a small amount, liek one cookie or one or two
;ieces of candy adn so can use them in moderation, with good control. You
won't know until you try it, but do read labels carfully and try only a
small amount at once.

There is no reaon to disallow it to all if only some can't use it at all.

Wendy

I can eat a small cookie or a tiny bit of cake once in a while. But I
quickly learned what I could eat and not eat. I feel sick and lousy when I
cheat.