SteveR

Default Looking for suggestions for healthy meals

I've finally had a chance to sit down and watch _Super Size Me_, and I'm
looking at doing some analysis to check up on Morgan Spurlock's
findings. Obviously I'm not about to go on a McDiet like he did, so I
decided to grab the nutritional information sheets from the McDo web
site, and write a small program to go through meal combinations for
three McDonald's meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner - and to
verify the averaged nutritional content (especially calorie content) of
such a diet.

** This is not commercial research, and I have no plans to publish the
results anywhere, except maybe here if people are interested. I am an
occasional poster here, and this is not any kind of homework assignment
or trolling post. It's just me trying to satisfy my curiosity. **

I also wanted to have a "control" diet, with two healthy meals -
breakfast and dinner - and a McLunch. This would be a second function
of the program, where it uses healthy food at breakfast and dinner, and
simulates someone going out for fast food at lunch. Again, the program
would average the results over the entire McDo lunch-time menu.

I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if they
were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists would
suggest. I want to get third party suggestions so that I'm not
colouring the research too much with my own ideas and slants on things.
I need some sort of nutritional content information about the recipes,
and again, since Morgan Spurlock concentrated on the calorie content,
that's probably the most important part of the information I need.

Thanks In Advance,
--
SteveR
(throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

Humans are way too stupid to be dumb animals.
http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/
aem

SteveR wrote:
>[snip]
> I also wanted to have a "control" diet, with two healthy meals -
> breakfast and dinner - and a McLunch. This would be a second
> function of the program, where it uses healthy food at breakfast
> and dinner, and simulates someone going out for fast food at lunch.
> Again, the program would average the results over the entire McDo
> lunch-time menu.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
> something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if
> they were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists
> would suggest. [snip]

First question has to be, What do you mean by "healthy"? It's not
enough to say "regular folks". All the various diet congregations are
going to assume you mean Their Diet, and even the U.S. Government has
new guidelines. So, are you looking for balance, low fat, low salt,
low carb, fruitarian, vegan, whale meat and seal oil -- please define
your objective. -aem

Curly Sue

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:24:41 +0000, SteveR
> wrote:

>I've finally had a chance to sit down and watch _Super Size Me_, and I'm
>looking at doing some analysis to check up on Morgan Spurlock's
>findings. Obviously I'm not about to go on a McDiet like he did, so I
>decided to grab the nutritional information sheets from the McDo web
>site, and write a small program to go through meal combinations for
>three McDonald's meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner - and to
>verify the averaged nutritional content (especially calorie content) of
>such a diet.
>
>** This is not commercial research, and I have no plans to publish the
>results anywhere, except maybe here if people are interested. I am an
>occasional poster here, and this is not any kind of homework assignment
>or trolling post. It's just me trying to satisfy my curiosity. **
>
>I also wanted to have a "control" diet, with two healthy meals -
>breakfast and dinner - and a McLunch. This would be a second function
>of the program, where it uses healthy food at breakfast and dinner, and
>simulates someone going out for fast food at lunch. Again, the program
>would average the results over the entire McDo lunch-time menu.
>
>I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
>something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if they
>were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists would
>suggest. I want to get third party suggestions so that I'm not
>colouring the research too much with my own ideas and slants on things.
>I need some sort of nutritional content information about the recipes,
>and again, since Morgan Spurlock concentrated on the calorie content,
>that's probably the most important part of the information I need.
>
>Thanks In Advance,
>--

Try http://www.nutritiondata.com. There is a LOT of information on
that site so it helps to study the various sections on the home page
carefully and click around. Hours of nutritional fun :>

This is what I use to keep track of my diet:
http://209.48.219.53/default.asp

Sue(tm)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, SteveR
> wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
> something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if they
> were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists would
> suggest.

Why do you think there is a difference between what "regular folks"
might eat vs a nutritionist's suggestion?

Here are some breakfast ideas that "regular folks" eat:
Toasted English muffin (whole grain) with peanut butter
An orange
A glass of milk

McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait
Coffee or tea

Cheerios with milk
Buttered raisin toast
Banana

A bagel with cream cheese
Fresh Fruit - maybe kiwi or strawberries?
Milk

Which are what "regular folks" might eat and which are "a nutritionist's
suggestion"?

spoiler space

All four breakfasts are from a booklet from a dietitian -- I left out
the portion sizes to make them look more "regular" than they do.

How about dinner?
Chicken breast
mashed potatoes
steamed asparagus spears
green salad with tomato and dressing
fruit
milk

That's a nutritionist-suggested meal, too. The chicken is a 3-oz
portion, the potatoes are a half cup measure and the asparagus is 10
spears. Four fresh apricots for fruit, and skim milk. Dressing is fat
free. Eminently edible.

Pork chop
Barley
coleslaw
Green beans
Milk
Apple Crisp

Also a nutritionist-recommended meal. Also quite edible, not to mention
a lot of foods to put away.

I'd enjoy any of those meals, and I'm about as "regular" (shut up,
Sheldon!) as they come.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, SteveR
> > wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
> > something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if

they
> > were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists would
> > suggest.

> Why do you think there is a difference between what "regular folks"
> might eat vs a nutritionist's suggestion?
>
> Here are some breakfast ideas that "regular folks" eat:
> Toasted English muffin (whole grain) with peanut butter
> An orange
> A glass of milk
>
> McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait
> Coffee or tea
>
> Cheerios with milk
> Buttered raisin toast
> Banana
>
> A bagel with cream cheese
> Fresh Fruit - maybe kiwi or strawberries?
> Milk
>
> Which are what "regular folks" might eat and which are "a

nutritionist's
> suggestion"?
>
> spoiler space
>

> All four breakfasts are from a booklet from a dietitian -- I left out

> the portion sizes to make them look more "regular" than they do.
>
> How about dinner?
> Chicken breast
> mashed potatoes
> steamed asparagus spears
> green salad with tomato and dressing
> fruit
> milk
>
> That's a nutritionist-suggested meal, too. The chicken is a 3-oz
> portion, the potatoes are a half cup measure and the asparagus is 10
> spears. Four fresh apricots for fruit, and skim milk. Dressing is

fat
> free. Eminently edible.
>
> Pork chop
> Barley
> coleslaw
> Green beans
> Milk
> Apple Crisp
>
> Also a nutritionist-recommended meal. Also quite edible, not to

mention
> a lot of foods to put away.
>
> I'd enjoy any of those meals, and I'm about as "regular" (shut up,
> Sheldon!) as they come.
>
> -Barb

How can you be "regular" eating all that hospital food unless you tick
off your menu for a double portion of the stewed prunes... that's the
hospital patient's secret to survival... that and a smuggled jug of
vodka.

Sheldon

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snippage)
> > Also a nutritionist-recommended meal. Also quite edible, not to
> > mention a lot of foods to put away.

> > I'd enjoy any of those meals, and I'm about as "regular" (shut up,
> > Sheldon!) as they come.
> >
> > -Barb

> How can you be "regular" eating all that hospital food unless you tick
> off your menu for a double portion of the stewed prunes... that's the
> hospital patient's secret to survival... that and a smuggled jug of
> vodka.
>
> Sheldon

Those are mere examples, Bucko. Mmmmmmmmmm, fiber! (And I thought I
told you to shut up!)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
SteveR

aem > writes:
>SteveR wrote:
>>[snip]
>> I also wanted to have a "control" diet, with two healthy meals -
>> breakfast and dinner - and a McLunch. This would be a second
>> function of the program, where it uses healthy food at breakfast
>> and dinner, and simulates someone going out for fast food at lunch.
>> Again, the program would average the results over the entire McDo
>> lunch-time menu.
>>
>> I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
>> something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if
>> they were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists
>> would suggest. [snip]

>First question has to be, What do you mean by "healthy"? It's not
>enough to say "regular folks". All the various diet congregations are
>going to assume you mean Their Diet, and even the U.S. Government has
>new guidelines. So, are you looking for balance, low fat, low salt,
>low carb, fruitarian, vegan, whale meat and seal oil -- please define
>your objective. -aem

The objective is balanced, not too much refined sugar, and following
calorie intake guidelines. McDonald's says that their food is good as
part of a balanced diet, and I'd like to frame it as such, with lunch at
McDonald's and breakfast and dinner as the non-fast food part of the
balanced diet.

The other thing I should have specified is the US/UK factor. I live in
the UK, and Morgan Spurlock did his dietary experiment in the US, and
I'd like to get the balanced diet thing to reflect US tastes rather than
my own tastes, influenced by the UK.

--
SteveR
(throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

Humans are way too stupid to be dumb animals.
http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/
Melba's Jammin'

> Try http://www.nutritiondata.com. There is a LOT of information on
> that site so it helps to study the various sections on the home page
> carefully and click around. Hours of nutritional fun :>
>
> This is what I use to keep track of my diet:
> http://209.48.219.53/default.asp
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for posting it. I'm using something
from the NIH.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
jmcquown

SteveR wrote:
> aem > writes:
>> SteveR wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> I also wanted to have a "control" diet, with two healthy meals -
>>> breakfast and dinner - and a McLunch. This would be a second
>>> function of the program, where it uses healthy food at breakfast
>>> and dinner, and simulates someone going out for fast food at lunch.
>>> Again, the program would average the results over the entire McDo
>>> lunch-time menu.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
>>> something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if
>>> they were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists
>>> would suggest. [snip]

>> First question has to be, What do you mean by "healthy"? It's not
>> enough to say "regular folks". All the various diet congregations
>> are going to assume you mean Their Diet, and even the U.S.
>> Government has new guidelines. So, are you looking for balance, low
>> fat, low salt, low carb, fruitarian, vegan, whale meat and seal oil
>> -- please define your objective. -aem

> The objective is balanced, not too much refined sugar, and following
> calorie intake guidelines. McDonald's says that their food is good as
> part of a balanced diet, and I'd like to frame it as such, with lunch
> at McDonald's and breakfast and dinner as the non-fast food part of
> the balanced diet.
>
> The other thing I should have specified is the US/UK factor. I live
> in the UK, and Morgan Spurlock did his dietary experiment in the US,
> and I'd like to get the balanced diet thing to reflect US tastes
> rather than my own tastes, influenced by the UK.

Well, I think this is an interesting program for you to create. I live in
the U.S. and I eat a lot of fish - broiled, baked, grilled. Ditto veggies -
steamed or baked. I can't say I've never had a "McLunch" but it's been
about 10 years since I did so. I make a lot of food so I can take leftovers
for my McQuown lunch to the office

Breakfast, however - sausage and biscuits (the bread kind, like scones - not
cookies like you call them in the U.K.). Lunch is normally my biggest meal
of the day. Leftover pot roast, steamed veggies, some tatties.

Dinner is chicken stew; pan-fried white fish topped with spinach and feta
cheese; veal piccata. Baked acorn squash. Globe artichokes stuffed with
breadcrumbs and shrimp. Steamed brussels sprouts.

Does this help?

Jill

SteveR

Melba's Jammin' > writes:
>In article >, SteveR
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
>> something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if they
>> were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists would
>> suggest.

>Why do you think there is a difference between what "regular folks"
>might eat vs a nutritionist's suggestion?

It's the difference between theory and practice. The nutritionist's (or
dietician's) diet plans are based on what we *should* eat. If most
people followed what the nutritionists and dieticians say, then Morgan
Spurlock wouldn't have needed to make _Super Size Me_.

I'm looking for what an ordinary person eats, thinking of it as a
healthy diet, rather than the ideal of a "what we should eat" diet.

>Here are some breakfast ideas that "regular folks" eat:
>Toasted English muffin (whole grain) with peanut butter
>An orange
>A glass of milk

Peanut butter on an English muffin? Do people really eat that in the
US? When I lived over there, I never saw or heard of anyone doing that.
I know people do things differently over there, but the thing that
struck me was people eating toast *with* their breakfast. In the UK, we
eat the toast after eating the main breakfast. Say we are eating bacon
and eggs for breakfast - my observation is that Americans will eat the
toast along with the bacon and eggs, while Britons finish off the bacon
and eggs, and then eat the toast. And Americans don't seem to use toast
racks either, so their toast gets soggy if it's left too long on the
plate.

>McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait
>Coffee or tea

Can you buy the parfait at breakfast time? Is anyone really going to go
to McDonald's and have *just* a parfait, without buying anything else -
no Egg McMuffins, no hotcakes, nothing? And what about the sugar in the
coffee?

>Cheerios with milk
>Buttered raisin toast
>Banana

Frosted or unfrosted raisin toast? No coffee or orange juice? Whole
milk or skimmed milk?

>A bagel with cream cheese
>Fresh Fruit - maybe kiwi or strawberries?
>Milk

What size bagel? In my experience, bagels are *huge* things. And made
sometimes with all sorts of stuff in them.

Most people, again, would have a glass of juice, probably orange or
grapefruit, with this sort of breakfast.

>Which are what "regular folks" might eat and which are "a nutritionist's
>suggestion"?
>
>spoiler space

[snipped]

>All four breakfasts are from a booklet from a dietitian -- I left out
>the portion sizes to make them look more "regular" than they do.
>
>How about dinner?
>Chicken breast
>mashed potatoes
>steamed asparagus spears
>green salad with tomato and dressing
>fruit
>milk
>
>That's a nutritionist-suggested meal, too. The chicken is a 3-oz
>portion, the potatoes are a half cup measure and the asparagus is 10
>spears. Four fresh apricots for fruit, and skim milk. Dressing is fat
>free. Eminently edible.

Milk with dinner? Half a cup of mash isn't much at all, and a 3-oz
helping of chicken is *tiny*. What's in the dressing that makes it
fat-free? Skimmed milk? Ick.

>Pork chop
>Barley
>coleslaw
>Green beans
>Milk
>Apple Crisp
>
>Also a nutritionist-recommended meal. Also quite edible, not to mention
>a lot of foods to put away.

How much of each, though? And what do you do with the barley? Where's
the apple sauce? I thought that *everybody* has apple sauce with pork.

>I'd enjoy any of those meals, and I'm about as "regular" (shut up,
>Sheldon!) as they come.

They sound a bit small to me.

The point is that I'm not really acquainted with American tastes
anymore, and I'm looking for things that most people would eat, rather
than a dietician's diet plan, and none of these sound quite right.

--
SteveR
(throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

Humans are way too stupid to be dumb animals.
http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/

SteveR

jmcquown > writes:
>SteveR wrote:
>> aem > writes:

>>> First question has to be, What do you mean by "healthy"? It's not
>>> enough to say "regular folks". All the various diet congregations
>>> are going to assume you mean Their Diet, and even the U.S.
>>> Government has new guidelines. So, are you looking for balance, low
>>> fat, low salt, low carb, fruitarian, vegan, whale meat and seal oil
>>> -- please define your objective. -aem

>> The objective is balanced, not too much refined sugar, and following
>> calorie intake guidelines. McDonald's says that their food is good as
>> part of a balanced diet, and I'd like to frame it as such, with lunch
>> at McDonald's and breakfast and dinner as the non-fast food part of
>> the balanced diet.
>>
>> The other thing I should have specified is the US/UK factor. I live
>> in the UK, and Morgan Spurlock did his dietary experiment in the US,
>> and I'd like to get the balanced diet thing to reflect US tastes
>> rather than my own tastes, influenced by the UK.

>Well, I think this is an interesting program for you to create. I live in
>the U.S. and I eat a lot of fish - broiled, baked, grilled. Ditto veggies -
>steamed or baked. I can't say I've never had a "McLunch" but it's been
>about 10 years since I did so. I make a lot of food so I can take leftovers
>for my McQuown lunch to the office
>
>Breakfast, however - sausage and biscuits (the bread kind, like scones - not
>cookies like you call them in the U.K.). Lunch is normally my biggest meal
>of the day. Leftover pot roast, steamed veggies, some tatties.
>
>Dinner is chicken stew; pan-fried white fish topped with spinach and feta
>cheese; veal piccata. Baked acorn squash. Globe artichokes stuffed with
>breadcrumbs and shrimp. Steamed brussels sprouts.
>
>Does this help?

Yes, thanks. That's just the sort of thing I was looking for. Sounds
delicious. Can you give approximate sizes? From that, I'll be able to
calculate dietary parameters - calories, amount of fat, etc.

--
SteveR
(throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

Humans are way too stupid to be dumb animals.
http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/
Curly Sue

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:33:47 +0100, SteveR
> wrote:

>>Here are some breakfast ideas that "regular folks" eat:
>>Toasted English muffin (whole grain) with peanut butter
>>An orange
>>A glass of milk

>Peanut butter on an English muffin? Do people really eat that in the
>US?

Certainly. The peanut butter melts into the crevices- yum!

> When I lived over there, I never saw or heard of anyone doing that.

You have to be careful with induction reasoning. I had a European
friend once who had the opinion that there were no goats in the US
because he lived here for 3-4 years and never saw one. We had a
rather heated argument about it; unfortunately I couldn't produce an
immediate goat to make my point :> Similarly, I don't know
personally of anyone who cooks with canned soup, yet by reading RFC it
appears to be a common practice. So we all just see a little slice of
life wherever we live.

>I know people do things differently over there, but the thing that
>struck me was people eating toast *with* their breakfast. In the UK, we
>eat the toast after eating the main breakfast. Say we are eating bacon
>and eggs for breakfast - my observation is that Americans will eat the
>toast along with the bacon and eggs, while Britons finish off the bacon
>and eggs, and then eat the toast.

Yes, the (buttered) toast goes with the eggs; it's a wonderful
combination like potatoes and eggs (which also requires simultaneous
toast). In fact, it's very sad when the toast runs out leaving the
remaining eggs by themselves. Eating the toast afterwards is like
eating the ice cream first, then the hot fudge. :>

> And Americans don't seem to use toast
>racks either, so their toast gets soggy if it's left too long on the
>plate.

Yet another reason for eating it with the eggs! See, there's a method
to our madness.

Give it a try. I thought it odd to put cole slaw *on* a pulled pork
sandwich when I first saw it, but damn! that's good.

I do love reading about these little differences and what strikes
people about others when they travel.

Sue(tm)
Ophelia

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:33:47 +0100, SteveR
> > wrote:
>
>>>Here are some breakfast ideas that "regular folks" eat:
>>>Toasted English muffin (whole grain) with peanut butter
>>>An orange
>>>A glass of milk

>>Peanut butter on an English muffin? Do people really eat that in the
>>US?

> Certainly. The peanut butter melts into the crevices- yum!
>
>> When I lived over there, I never saw or heard of anyone doing that.

> You have to be careful with induction reasoning. I had a European
> friend once who had the opinion that there were no goats in the US
> because he lived here for 3-4 years and never saw one. We had a
> rather heated argument about it; unfortunately I couldn't produce an
> immediate goat to make my point :> Similarly, I don't know
> personally of anyone who cooks with canned soup, yet by reading RFC it
> appears to be a common practice. So we all just see a little slice of
> life wherever we live.
>
>>I know people do things differently over there, but the thing that
>>struck me was people eating toast *with* their breakfast. In the UK, we
>>eat the toast after eating the main breakfast. Say we are eating bacon
>>and eggs for breakfast - my observation is that Americans will eat the
>>toast along with the bacon and eggs, while Britons finish off the bacon
>>and eggs, and then eat the toast.

> Yes, the (buttered) toast goes with the eggs; it's a wonderful
> combination like potatoes and eggs (which also requires simultaneous
> toast). In fact, it's very sad when the toast runs out leaving the
> remaining eggs by themselves. Eating the toast afterwards is like
> eating the ice cream first, then the hot fudge. :>
>
>> And Americans don't seem to use toast
>>racks either, so their toast gets soggy if it's left too long on the
>>plate.

> Yet another reason for eating it with the eggs! See, there's a method
> to our madness.
>
> Give it a try. I thought it odd to put cole slaw *on* a pulled pork
> sandwich when I first saw it, but damn! that's good.
>
> I do love reading about these little differences and what strikes
> people about others when they travel.

We do eat eggs on the toast though, in fact we eat several things ON toast

Ophelia
Scotland

SteveR

Curly Sue > writes:
>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:33:47 +0100, SteveR
> wrote:

[snip]

>Yes, the (buttered) toast goes with the eggs; it's a wonderful
>combination like potatoes and eggs (which also requires simultaneous
>toast). In fact, it's very sad when the toast runs out leaving the
>remaining eggs by themselves. Eating the toast afterwards is like
>eating the ice cream first, then the hot fudge. :>

Eating the toast along with the meal is sacrilegious! =8^) The thing
is that eating toast with the meal is like eating dessert along with the
main course. It's just not done.

>> And Americans don't seem to use toast
>>racks either, so their toast gets soggy if it's left too long on the
>>plate.

>Yet another reason for eating it with the eggs! See, there's a method
>to our madness.

I'm English. I will defend my toast rack with my dying breath!

>Give it a try. I thought it odd to put cole slaw *on* a pulled pork
>sandwich when I first saw it, but damn! that's good.
>
>I do love reading about these little differences and what strikes
>people about others when they travel.

Yes, so do I.

Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America put
the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the milk in
afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question in this
country...)

--
SteveR
(throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

Humans are way too stupid to be dumb animals.
http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/

Damsel in dis Dress

SteveR >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America put
>the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the milk in
>afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question in this
>country...)

I would never dream of putting milk in tea. Or sugar. Just the tea and
me.

Carol

--

Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Dave Smith

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America put
> >the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the milk in
> >afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question in this
> >country...)

> I would never dream of putting milk in tea. Or sugar. Just the tea and
> me.

I am not sure of the origins of putting the milk or cream in first. I have
heart different stories. Some say that putting the milk in first stops the
milk from bruising, or some such nonsense, while others say that it so that
the hot tea won't crack the china cups, but you only need to worry about
that if you use cheap china.

Either way it doesn't matter to me. Good tea, properly made, should not be
ruined by adding milk to it. I had a summer job in an alloy smelting plant
while I was at university. It used to get pretty hot in there and I found
that the only thing that quenched my thirst was black tea, and I have never
again learned to appreciate sugar or milk, and especially not cream. In the
summer I sometimes make up some tea for iced tea, but add no sugar, and add
a small slice of lemon when served.

Curly Sue

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:53:53 +0100, SteveR
> wrote:

>Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America put
>the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the milk in
>afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question in this
>country...)

This American puts the milk in after the tea has steeped. (no sugar,
no cream). I drink about a quart of black tea a day.

Sue(tm)
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

SteveR > wrote in
:

> Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America
> put the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the
> milk in afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question
> in this country...)

I add the coffee cold to my artifical sweetener....Toast and crunchy
peanut butter...heavy on the butter...one of the reasons I needed to go
low carb...very addictive, especially with warm rye bread toast.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban
Curly Sue

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:37:23 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> wrote:

>I add the coffee cold to my artifical sweetener....Toast and crunchy
>peanut butter...heavy on the butter...one of the reasons I needed to go
>low carb...very addictive, especially with warm rye bread toast.

You're too late, low carb has passed. The new diet is the "glycemic
index" a la Zone Diet. Even the Atkins Foundation is abandoning net
carbs and going for glycemic index now that their leader has gone to a
better place, gorging on cakes, cookies, bread, and other forbidden
fruit.

(I'm just sitting here on the sidelines watching the diets go by :>)

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:20:21 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress

(Curly Sue), if that's their real name, wrote:

>>You're too late, low carb has passed. The new diet is the "glycemic
>>index" a la Zone Diet.

>I believe that the glycemic index, which has been out there for quite
>awhile, is just a refinement of low-carb. It's still a low-carb diet, but
>you're planning for a more even distribution of the carbs' metabolism over
>the course of the day. Beautiful thing for diabetics.
>
>I could have said that better, but I didn't.

The Atkin's Revolution Revision has been on the news for the past
couple of weeks or so. That's what I was referring to :>

Sue(tm)
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

(Curly Sue) wrote in
:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:37:23 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> > wrote:
>
> >I add the coffee cold to my artifical sweetener....Toast and
> >crunchy peanut butter...heavy on the butter...one of the reasons I
> >needed to go low carb...very addictive, especially with warm rye
> >bread toast.
> >

> You're too late, low carb has passed. The new diet is the "glycemic
> index" a la Zone Diet. Even the Atkins Foundation is abandoning net
> carbs and going for glycemic index now that their leader has gone to
> a better place, gorging on cakes, cookies, bread, and other
> forbidden fruit.
>
> (I'm just sitting here on the sidelines watching the diets go by :>)
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Been there tried the Glycemic index...didn't help...my Blood Glucose
level went thru the roof. To my body a carb is a carb. Got a whole mess
of the books though. Some of the recipes look nice. It is a shame but
that doesn't help me. I tried low Glycemic first...it is a Canadian
invention you know.

I guess being the lone hold out bothers some...not me. I was never a
follow the latest trends kinda guy. I still sport the Don Johnson look of
personal grooming shaving every other day. (Being a grumpy old fart has a
few benifits.) But I am thinner. Last Aug I was 265...today I'm 221.
Hopefully around xmas I'll be in the 180 range as that's my overall goal.
The 220 wall has slowed my pre-planned scheduled weight loss goal of 5
lbs a month. Been close for 2 weeks know, just can't seem to break thru.
The warmer weather will help this as walking will be more appealing so
more exercise (HA! more like Some) will happen. My lung problems really
hate any endurance activities.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban
Curly Sue

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:57:56 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
> wrote:
<snip>
>I guess being the lone hold out bothers some...not me. I was never a
>follow the latest trends kinda guy. I still sport the Don Johnson look of
>personal grooming shaving every other day. (Being a grumpy old fart has a
>few benifits.) But I am thinner. Last Aug I was 265...today I'm 221.
>Hopefully around xmas I'll be in the 180 range as that's my overall goal.
>The 220 wall has slowed my pre-planned scheduled weight loss goal of 5
>lbs a month. Been close for 2 weeks know, just can't seem to break thru.
>The warmer weather will help this as walking will be more appealing so
>more exercise (HA! more like Some) will happen. My lung problems really
>hate any endurance activities.

Congratulations on your loss so far and hope you get off that plateau
(which I know so well :<) soon!

Sue(tm)
aem

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
[snip]
> Hopefully around xmas I'll be in the 180 range as that's my overall
> goal. The 220 wall has slowed my pre-planned scheduled weight loss
> goal of 5 lbs a month. Been close for 2 weeks know, just can't seem
> to break thru. The warmer weather will help this as walking will be
> more appealing so more exercise (HA! more like Some) will happen. My
> lung problems really hate any endurance activities.

I suppose because this is a food ng the diet component of the diet +
exercise path to healthy living gets all the attention here. This is
actually quite misdirected, as an increase in regular exercise has far
greater potential for improving your life than any diet does. Here's a
link to a very sensible, well-researched article that may increase your
resolve to increase your walking:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...e/Exercise.htm

Curly Sue

On 27 Mar 2005 12:38:06 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> [snip]
>> Hopefully around xmas I'll be in the 180 range as that's my overall
>> goal. The 220 wall has slowed my pre-planned scheduled weight loss
>> goal of 5 lbs a month. Been close for 2 weeks know, just can't seem
>> to break thru. The warmer weather will help this as walking will be
>> more appealing so more exercise (HA! more like Some) will happen. My
>> lung problems really hate any endurance activities.
>>

>I suppose because this is a food ng the diet component of the diet +
>exercise path to healthy living gets all the attention here. This is
>actually quite misdirected, as an increase in regular exercise has far
>greater potential for improving your life than any diet does.

It depends on where you're starting, exercise- and diet-wise and how
you got there to determine which has a "greater potential for
improving (one's) life." Your article begins:

"Although there are no sure-fire recipes for good health, the mixture
of healthy eating and regular exercise comes awfully close. Most of
Nutrition Source is dedicated to singing the praises of a good diet.
This is where exercise gets its due"

(Nutrition Source is the name of the newsletter.)

> Here's a
>link to a very sensible, well-researched article that may increase your
>resolve to increase your walking:
>
>http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...e/Exercise.htm

It did increase my resolve to walk across the room and use my exercise
rider right now!

Sue(tm)
aem

Curly Sue wrote:

> It depends on where you're starting, exercise- and diet-wise and how
> you got there to determine which has a "greater potential for
> improving (one's) life." Your article begins:
>
> "Although there are no sure-fire recipes for good health, the mixture
> of healthy eating and regular exercise comes awfully close. Most of
> Nutrition Source is dedicated to singing the praises of a good diet.
> This is where exercise gets its due"
>
> (Nutrition Source is the name of the newsletter.)

I read that last sentence to mean, "This article is where we sing the
praises of good exercise."

> It did increase my resolve to walk across the room and use my

exercise
> rider right now!

Then, "my work here is done." <g> -aem

jmcquown

SteveR wrote:
> jmcquown > writes:
>> SteveR wrote:

>>> The objective is balanced, not too much refined sugar, and following
>>> calorie intake guidelines. McDonald's says that their food is good
>>> as part of a balanced diet, and I'd like to frame it as such, with
>>> lunch
>>> at McDonald's and breakfast and dinner as the non-fast food part of
>>> the balanced diet.
>>>
>>> The other thing I should have specified is the US/UK factor. I live
>>> in the UK, and Morgan Spurlock did his dietary experiment in the US,
>>> and I'd like to get the balanced diet thing to reflect US tastes
>>> rather than my own tastes, influenced by the UK.

>> Well, I think this is an interesting program for you to create. I
>> live in the U.S. and I eat a lot of fish - broiled, baked, grilled.
>> Ditto veggies - steamed or baked. I can't say I've never had a
>> "McLunch" but it's been about 10 years since I did so. I make a lot
>> of food so I can take leftovers for my McQuown lunch to the office
>>
>> Breakfast, however - sausage and biscuits (the bread kind, like
>> scones - not cookies like you call them in the U.K.). Lunch is
>> normally my biggest meal of the day. Leftover pot roast, steamed
>> veggies, some tatties.
>>
>> Dinner is chicken stew; pan-fried white fish topped with spinach and
>> feta cheese; veal piccata. Baked acorn squash. Globe artichokes
>> stuffed with breadcrumbs and shrimp. Steamed brussels sprouts.
>>
>> Does this help?

> Yes, thanks. That's just the sort of thing I was looking for. Sounds
> delicious. Can you give approximate sizes? From that, I'll be able
> to calculate dietary parameters - calories, amount of fat, etc.

Oh dear. Well, here's a link to my food pics. I unless it's soup I only
eat about half of what is on the plate at once.

http://community.webshots.com/album/74365720dVkAGR

Jill

Christine Dabney

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:53:53 +0100, SteveR
>Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America put
>the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the milk in
>afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question in this
>country...)

I drink my tea with milk, and I put it in afterwards.

Christine

Christine Dabney

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:42:33 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>I would never dream of putting milk in tea. Or sugar. Just the tea and
>me.
>
>Carol

Uh oh, guess I had better bring milk for my tea when I am up that way.

Christine
Ophelia

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:53:53 +0100, SteveR
>>Speaking of customs, when you have a cup of tea, do you in America put
>>the milk in first and then the tea, or the tea in first and the milk in
>>afterwards? (Note that this is a sort of religious question in this
>>country...)

> I drink my tea with milk, and I put it in afterwards.

I learned to drink my tea black when I lived in India and I have never had
it any other way since

Ophelia

Damsel in dis Dress

Christine Dabney >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:42:33 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>I would never dream of putting milk in tea. Or sugar. Just the tea and
>>me.

>Uh oh, guess I had better bring milk for my tea when I am up that way.
>

>Christine

Hey, you know me. There will be Cream.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, SteveR
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > writes:
> >In article >, SteveR
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking for suggestions for the breakfast and dinner meals -
> >> something healthy, but something that "regular folks" might eat if they
> >> were trying to eat healthily rather than what nutritionists would
> >> suggest.

> >Why do you think there is a difference between what "regular folks"
> >might eat vs a nutritionist's suggestion?

> It's the difference between theory and practice. The nutritionist's (or
> dietician's) diet plans are based on what we *should* eat. If most
> people followed what the nutritionists and dieticians say, then Morgan
> Spurlock wouldn't have needed to make _Super Size Me_.

I'm sure. But know that not all "regular" folks eat at McDonald's
regularly, frequently, occasionally, or ever. "Regular" covers a lot of
ground, I think. Not all "regular" people are hellbent on eating fast
food daily or frequently.

> I'm looking for what an ordinary person eats, thinking of it as a
> healthy diet, rather than the ideal of a "what we should eat" diet.

Are you sure that's what you're looking for? You don't seem to want to
accept my examples. They are examples of a "regular" person attempting
a balanced meal as part of a balanced daily meal plan. That they also
receive a dietitian's blessing is just a bonus. I don't think they
ideas are mutually exclusive.

> >Here are some breakfast ideas that "regular folks" eat:
> >Toasted English muffin (whole grain) with peanut butter
> >An orange
> >A glass of milk

> Peanut butter on an English muffin? Do people really eat that in the
> US?

Yes.

> When I lived over there, I never saw or heard of anyone doing that.

You have my condolences.

> I know people do things differently over there, but the thing that
> struck me was people eating toast *with* their breakfast. In the UK, we
> eat the toast after eating the main breakfast. Say we are eating bacon
> and eggs for breakfast - my observation is that Americans will eat the
> toast along with the bacon and eggs, while Britons finish off the bacon
> and eggs, and then eat the toast. And Americans don't seem to use toast
> racks either, so their toast gets soggy if it's left too long on the
> plate.

What can I say? Isn't life interesting. How peoples in different parts
of the world have different habits and customs and both are normal.
I've never experienced soggy toast after sitting on a plate.

> >McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait
> >Coffee or tea

> Can you buy the parfait at breakfast time?

Yes.

> Is anyone really going to go
> to McDonald's and have *just* a parfait, without buying anything else -

For sure. I'd wager that a good percentage of Americans skip breakfast
entirely; a yogurt parfait -- layered fruit and yogurt -- is their
concession to "eating something for breakfast". I find McDonald's
sausage to be pretty salty tasting.

> no Egg McMuffins, no hotcakes, nothing?

No Egg McMuffins, no hotcakes, no nothing. Yes.

And what about the sugar in the
> coffee?

What about it? Moderation in all things.

> >Cheerios with milk
> >Buttered raisin toast
> >Banana

> Frosted or unfrosted raisin toast?

Never heard of frosted raisin toast. Yech. So, plain.

> No coffee or orange juice?

Maybe, maybe not. Go ahead, add a cup or two of coffee. Lots of folks
drink tea. I don't have orange juice every morning for breakfast -- do
you?

> Whole milk or skimmed milk?

I can't speak for the entire population, but many folks drink skim or
low-fat. I know of no adults (regular or not) who drink whole milk as a
matter of course. I usually keep a small quantity on hand for cooking
or for use in my coffee.

> >A bagel with cream cheese
> >Fresh Fruit - maybe kiwi or strawberries?
> >Milk

> What size bagel? In my experience, bagels are *huge* things. And made
> sometimes with all sorts of stuff in them.

What's huge? Grocery store bagels I know about are about 4" diameter
and maybe an inch thick. And just because they are available with all
sorts of stuff in them doesn't mean I eat them. I'm not fond of gacky
sweet bagels, so I only have plain - or else the ones with the savory
seeds on top. My husband likes the cinnamon raisin ones.

> Most people, again, would have a glass of juice, probably orange or
> grapefruit, with this sort of breakfast.

Which most people? Most people you know? If I'm looking for variety,
something other than fruit juice will appear regularly. I like bananas;
I eat them at breakfast fairly frequently.

> >Which are what "regular folks" might eat and which are "a nutritionist's
> >suggestion"?
> >
> >spoiler space

> [snipped]
>
> >All four breakfasts are from a booklet from a dietitian -- I left out
> >the portion sizes to make them look more "regular" than they do.
> >
> >How about dinner?
> >Chicken breast
> >mashed potatoes
> >steamed asparagus spears
> >green salad with tomato and dressing
> >fruit
> >milk

> Milk with dinner?

Uh, yeah. Why not? I don't drink tea; I stop drinking coffee
mid-morning. I drink too much carbonated sugar-free soda and we have
milk with our meals. Again, why not?

> Half a cup of mash isn't much at all,

No, it isn't.

> and a 3-oz helping of chicken is *tiny*.

Depends on how much you like chicken. With other items at the meal, it
can be a very adequate portion. A boneless leg and thigh weigh about
that much - maybe a little more, depending.

> What's in the dressing that makes it fat-free?

The absence of fat makes it fat free.
I occasionally dress a mixed green salad with balsamic vinegar and a
sprinkle of sugar. I occasionally eat the mixed greens naked.

>Skimmed milk? Ick.

I don't know of any salad dressing made with skim milk; it doesn't have
much appeal in a salad dressing to me, either. "Regular" people seem to
be seeking out lower-fat foods with frequency -- there are many choices
in the supermarket aisles. They get their mouthfeel -- that sensation
of body and richness that fat seems to include -- by chemical thickeners
-- guar guam, etc.

> >Pork chop
> >Barley
> >coleslaw
> >Green beans
> >Milk
> >Apple Crisp
> >
> >Also a nutritionist-recommended meal. Also quite edible, not to mention
> >a lot of foods to put away.

> How much of each, though?

Debatable. I grew up in a family where each person was allowed one pork
chop for a meal. Seemed reasonable to me, inasmuch as we also usually
had potatoes and at least one other vegetable and it was the norm in our
home. Imagine my astonishment when a neighbor described alloting three
or four chops each for her husband and sons. She planned two or three
for herself. I was astounded.

> And what do you do with the barley?

Put it on a fork and then put it in my mouth. I love the chewiness of
it. A little salt, perhaps, too.

> Where's the apple sauce? I thought that *everybody* has apple sauce
> with pork.

Think again.

> >I'd enjoy any of those meals, and I'm about as "regular" (shut up,
> >Sheldon!) as they come.

> They sound a bit small to me.

They may be. I know a number of "regular" people who eat reasonable
portions. I know many who eat larger portions.

> The point is that I'm not really acquainted with American tastes
> anymore, and I'm looking for things that most people would eat, rather
> than a dietician's diet plan, and none of these sound quite right.

More's the pity; it sucks to be you.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.
Curly Sue

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:33:47 +0100, SteveR
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' > writes:

<snip>
>>All four breakfasts are from a booklet from a dietitian -- I left out
>>the portion sizes to make them look more "regular" than they do.
>>
>>How about dinner?
>>Chicken breast
>>mashed potatoes
>>steamed asparagus spears
>>green salad with tomato and dressing
>>fruit
>>milk
>>
>>That's a nutritionist-suggested meal, too. The chicken is a 3-oz
>>portion, the potatoes are a half cup measure and the asparagus is 10
>>spears. Four fresh apricots for fruit, and skim milk. Dressing is fat
>>free. Eminently edible.

>Milk with dinner? Half a cup of mash isn't much at all, and a 3-oz
>helping of chicken is *tiny*. What's in the dressing that makes it
>fat-free? Skimmed milk? Ick.

Just a comment on something I missed befo 3 oz is a serving of meat
and 1/2 cup is a serving of vegetables. I do stick to that myself.

>>Pork chop
>>Barley
>>coleslaw
>>Green beans
>>Milk
>>Apple Crisp
>>
>>Also a nutritionist-recommended meal. Also quite edible, not to mention
>>a lot of foods to put away.

>How much of each, though? And what do you do with the barley? Where's
>the apple sauce? I thought that *everybody* has apple sauce with pork.
>
>>I'd enjoy any of those meals, and I'm about as "regular" (shut up,
>>Sheldon!) as they come.

>They sound a bit small to me.
>
>The point is that I'm not really acquainted with American tastes
>anymore, and I'm looking for things that most people would eat, rather
>than a dietician's diet plan, and none of these sound quite right.

Tonight I had a lamb chop (4 oz with bone), spinach (1/2 c),
wheatberry pilaf with corn (3/4 c), Israeli couscous (1/2 c),
strawberries, and some chocolate graham sticks (graham crackers).
Tea.

Does that sound like what you'd expect?

Sue(tm)

Damsel in dis Dress

Melba's Jammin' >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>Grocery store bagels I know about are about 4" diameter
>and maybe an inch thick. And just because they are available with all
>sorts of stuff in them doesn't mean I eat them. I'm not fond of gacky
>sweet bagels, so I only have plain - or else the ones with the savory
>seeds on top. My husband likes the cinnamon raisin ones.

Onion bagels are my favorites, although I seldom buy them anymore. Onion
bagels with lots of melted butter.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Sheldon

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' >, if that's their real

name,
> wrote:
>
> >Grocery store bagels I know about are about 4" diameter
> >and maybe an inch thick. And just because they are available with

all
> >sorts of stuff in them doesn't mean I eat them. I'm not fond of

gacky
> >sweet bagels, so I only have plain - or else the ones with the

savory
> >seeds on top. My husband likes the cinnamon raisin ones.

> Onion bagels are my favorites, although I seldom buy them anymore.

Onion
> bagels with lots of melted butter.
>
> Carol

Unless they're purchased in NYC they ain't bagels, I'm serious... I've
tried bagels in about all 48 and NONE are even close to a real bagel...
NOT EVEN CLOSE... they are just nondescript rolls with a hole. And
even a perfect NYC bagel once it's been out of the oven more than 60
minutes it's no longer a bagel... it's just a stale hunk of dough. And
there is no such thing as a frozen bagel (Lenders ain't any kind of
bagel), a NYC pigeon has to be starving to peck one, and even then
won't let it's neighbors see its pecker pecking. And so, unless yoose
come to NYC you can't have a bagel... and Staten Island doesn't count,
that's part of Noo Joisey anyways.

Sheldon

Christine Dabney

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:45:38 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>Christine Dabney >, if that's their real name,
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:42:33 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>>I would never dream of putting milk in tea. Or sugar. Just the tea and
>>>me.

>>Uh oh, guess I had better bring milk for my tea when I am up that way.
>>

>>Christine

>Hey, you know me. There will be Cream.

Okay, I will probably be labeled as a tea heretic, but I can live with
Cream for my tea.

Christine
Damsel in dis Dress

"Sheldon" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Onion bagels are my favorites, although I seldom buy them anymore.
>> Onion bagels with lots of melted butter.
>>
>> Carol

>Unless they're purchased in NYC they ain't bagels, I'm serious... I've
>tried bagels in about all 48 and NONE are even close to a real bagel...
> NOT EVEN CLOSE... they are just nondescript rolls with a hole. And
>even a perfect NYC bagel once it's been out of the oven more than 60
>minutes it's no longer a bagel... it's just a stale hunk of dough. And
>there is no such thing as a frozen bagel (Lenders ain't any kind of
>bagel), a NYC pigeon has to be starving to peck one, and even then
>won't let it's neighbors see its pecker pecking. And so, unless yoose
>come to NYC you can't have a bagel... and Staten Island doesn't count,
>that's part of Noo Joisey anyways.

Well, we Midwesterners don't mind slumming in the bagel department, because
we don't know any better. I like whatever it is that is being presented as
a bagel here. I like the plain ones, spread with cream cheese and
sprinkled with Penzey's Sunny Paris. I'm not sure I'm qualified to use the
word, "schmear." Heck, I don't even know if I can spell it!

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> I can't speak for the entire population, but many folks drink skim
> or low-fat. I know of no adults (regular or not) who drink whole
> milk as a matter of course. I usually keep a small quantity on hand
> for cooking or for use in my coffee.

On the rare occassion I have milk in the house...it is whole milk...Skim
milk is for sissies. Don't you know me Barb? I'm the Defender of the
Noble Beet.