Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need suggestions for healthy food bars for travel

I am planning a trip to Greece and Turkey, primarily Greece with a one-day
stop in Turkey. The food should be ideal once I get there (Mediterranean
diet). However, I am concerned about the airplane trip and also about
travel on the bus. Can anyone recommend a low-carb (and hopefully tasty)
food bar?--the name and also where I could order it. I checked with our
health food store, and even they do not have anything suitable. Every bar
they have is high carb and includes items like cane syrup and honey. Even
their dried fruit has cane syrup. I have not eaten anything like that for 5
years, and I would like to find some emergency supplies to take with me.
There are some special diets available on the airplane, such as vegetarian
or diabetic, but each of them presents some difficulties. Many places serve
inappropriate carbs (in my opinion) on a diabetic diet, and I am also
allergic to fish. Vegetarian diets often include a lot of bread. I may
take some peanut butter sandwiches with Ezekiel bread (a flourless bread
made from sprouted grains), carrots, and apples on the plane; but I would
also like something to have in the hotels once I arrive. I will not be able
to take those items into the country with me.

Thanks,
MaryL

Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

. ..
[...]

I don't know what you consider low carb so what I'm going to suggest might
not work. I like the GoRaw pumpkin seed bars. They are sweetened with
something. Agave? Dates? I can't remember. Don't have any in front of me
at the moment. Each bar has 24 grams of carb and is filling enough to make
a meal.

I can see why you couldn't take carrots and apples unless perhaps they were
dried, but I'm not sure about the peanut butter. I don't even know how that
would be classified. I've heard stories recently of people getting food
taken from them because somebody at the airport considered it to be a
liquid. I believe peanut butter was on this list and also canned tuna.

Could you take plain nuts and seeds? Beef jerky or other preserved meats?
I order little packets from minimus.biz for my daughter. I think they are
Pepperoni and Salami.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions, Julie. My reference to low carbe really was a
little vague, and also inaccurate. I try to avoid all the "white stuff"
(flour, potatoes, refined sugar, etc.), but I eat lots of fresh fruit,
veggies, etc. So the GoRaw pumpkin seed bars sounds interesting. I'll go
online and see if I can find a source for them. Everything I have seen so
far has cane syrup and/or honey for sweetening. I would rather have just
the fruit as flavoring. I do plan to take quite a few nuts, and I am going
to put a small jar of peanut butter in my checked luggage. I think the
problem with liquids or "soft" products like peanut butter is limited on
carryon luggage, but I'm going to look into that. I think preserved meats
may be on the "unacceptable" list when entering another country, but I have
to verify all that. Fortunately, Greece should be a great place to buy the
type of food I want once I get there, so I'm primarily thinking about the
long airplane ride both ways, a lot of travel by bus, and supplies if we
don't stop frequently enough for the way I eat. I learned a long time ago
that I should have a small snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon to keep my
sugar stable.

MaryL

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:

[...]

I find that of all the dried fruits, dried apricots work pretty well for
me as a snack, etc. I can et UP TO 4 without spiking in teh afternoon.
they can, in no way, be considered as a liqquid:-)

Wendy
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Good idea. I think I'll take several types of dried fruit -- raisins,
apricots, cranberries -- plus a lot of nuts (especially almonds and
walnuts).

Thanks,
MaryL

Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Mary I used to make my own "trail mix" of stuff I could eat.

A friend recently bought a food dryer for making dried banana chips, apple
slices, etc. You could probably dry some vegetables too.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:22:59 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

That's what I was hoping to find--bars with no sweetening at all. So far,
no luck.

Do you bake, Mary? These look interesting, although I haven't tried
them:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-...10-easy-steps/

Note the comments, they modified the recipe somewhat.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

I will look and see if I can find the name of those bars. Maybe you can
find them on the net or something. I think I have one somewhere. I
like to keep them around for the rare occasion when I need to eat
something in a hurry and don't want to stop at a restaurant or eat junk
food or stuff like that.

OK here is one of them. (just went to look to see if I had one left and I
did).

Square Bites, World Food Bar.

www.squarebites.com

Phone number of the company is : 877-778-2730

The one I have right in front of me is called Curried Favorite, with
spices of India in it. It containsAlmonds, brown rice syrup, dates, rice
crisps, cashews, carrot powder, sea salt, dried red bell pepper, dried
mango, cayenne, black pepper, spices.

The whole bar contains 230 calories and of that it is 29 grams of
carbohydrates. It has no gluten, no refined sugar, no soy, no GMO's.

So I would say it would be an OK meal for me on the run.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Thank you!

MaryL

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

: I have never heard of Kind bars, but I'll see if I can locate them. That
: was actually the route I started on--a nourishing bar without all the extra
: "sweeteners." I haven't eaten *any* bars since I was diagnosed five years
: ago, and everything I have looked at recently has cane syrup, glucose,
: honey, etc. A small amount of honey wouldn't be bad, but I'm really trying
: to avoid the others. I don't even use artificial sweeteners. I have gotten
: along very well without all that.

: Thanks,
: MaryL

Take some 70% or 85% cacao chocolate bars as they have very little sugar
in them and NO SUGAR ALCOHOLS to literaly crap up your stomach. Lindt
makes a very nice one.

Wendy

Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the brand-name suggestion. I'll look for some. *No sugar
alcohols* definitely should have been on my list!

MaryL