Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Got my 6 qt crockpot

"Hedda Lettis" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>>In Brooklyn NY we called that Mulligan Stew. It was usually made with
>>>mostly leftovers.

>> I wouldn't do it with leftovers in a crockpot - you need the fresh
>> ingredients to give their savour to the liquid, and to retain some of
>> their texture during the long cooking.

> This is true. They didn't use crock pots back then. Veggies already cooked
> were added near the end. It was a good way for people to use them up. Some
> fresh ingredients were also used, celery and potatoes for example. If
> made in a crock pot I wouldn't add already cooked veggies until the end -
> just to heat them up.

I make "clean out the refrigerator" soup. I put in whatever veggies I have,
rounding it out with some canned stuff if necessary. It often has a tomato
base, but sometimes chicken, beef or vegetable broth. There may be rice or
pasta added. It's never the same thing twice.

I rarely have leftover cooked vegetables, but sometimes I will have
potatoes. Husband doesn't usually eat a lot of potatoes and I tend to cook
too many. Angela's favorite vegetable is green beans and there are never
any leftovers, no matter how much I cook. This last week I had a leftover
ear of corn, but Angela put her foot down and said she didn't want anything
soupy. So I tossed it.

Tomorrow, husband will probably be on his own for dinner. Hard to say
though because it is currently snowing. It's possible there will be no
school or no dance class after. If no dance class, I will have to make
dinner. Otherwise, Angela and I will dine out.

Tuesday I will be using the crockpot and will probably make the Chinese Pie
which is neither Chinese nor pie. Wed. I will need to use up the cooked
chicken that Angela wanted. It's just plain chicken breast with salt and
pepper, cut in strips. Will probably put that in pasta and gravy. Then
Thu. will be the brown sugar chicken with white rice. I'll probably eat
something else. Then Fri. will be dining out again so hopefully there will
be something leftover for husband to eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05 Jan 2009 03:05:42 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Different Marsala wines are classified according to their color, sweetness
>and the duration of their aging. The three levels of sweetness are secco
>(with a maximum 40 grams of residual sugar per liter), semisecco' (41-100
>g/l) and sweet (over 100 g/l). The color and aging classifications are as
>follows:
>
>Oro has a golden color.
>Ambra has an amber color. The coloring comes from the mosto cotto sweetener
>added to the wine. Rubino has a ruby color.
>Fine has minimal aging, typically less than a year.
>Superiore is aged at least two years.
>Superiore Riserva is aged at least four years.
>Vergine e/o Soleras is aged at least five years.
>Vergine e/o Soleras Stravecchio e Vergine e/o Soleras Riserva is aged at
>least ten years.

I didn't know that, Nick - thanks I've only seen the sweet stuff
round here too. Maybe I'll have to get my neighbour, who visits Italy
often, to get me some secco : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> I have a pot roast in my slow coooker right now. It's large but it will
>> be a few meals.
>>
>> I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
>> of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned
>> with granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix),
>> marjoram, thyme and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef
>> broth, about 3 tbsp ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful
>> of mini carrots and a stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.
>>
>> I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.

> That sounds good, Janet. Have you tried Marsala instead of burgundy? Since
> I missed dinner with you, I'll go heat up a big bowl of Menudo in an hour
> or so! ;-)

I use Marsala exclusively as the cooking wine around here. It improves the
flavor of almost anything, especially if it contains tomatoes.

I have a recipe that might go very well in a crockpot.

Buy a pork shoulder roast, some places it is called a "boston butt" and they
can be quite large. First sautee a generous amount of chopped onions in
a pot, add some chicken stock and Marsala wine. Put the pork roast into
the pot, cover it and simmer for a really long time. When the meat is
nearly falling off the bone, it is done. It is one of my most delicious
recipes.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On 05 Jan 2009 03:05:42 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>Different Marsala wines are classified according to their color, sweetness
>>and the duration of their aging. The three levels of sweetness are secco
>>(with a maximum 40 grams of residual sugar per liter), semisecco' (41-100
>>g/l) and sweet (over 100 g/l). The color and aging classifications are as
>>follows:
>>
>>Oro has a golden color.
>>Ambra has an amber color. The coloring comes from the mosto cotto
>>sweetener
>>added to the wine. Rubino has a ruby color.
>>Fine has minimal aging, typically less than a year.
>>Superiore is aged at least two years.
>>Superiore Riserva is aged at least four years.
>>Vergine e/o Soleras is aged at least five years.
>>Vergine e/o Soleras Stravecchio e Vergine e/o Soleras Riserva is aged at
>>least ten years.

> I didn't know that, Nick - thanks I've only seen the sweet stuff
> round here too. Maybe I'll have to get my neighbour, who visits Italy
> often, to get me some secco : )

The dry Marsala just doesn't have the flavor of the stuff usually sold for
cooking. I ruined a chicken Marsala one time when I couldn't find the
cheap Marsala and could only get the Florio brand, which is very dry. You
use very little of it, so the carbs are not much when you consider an entire
recipe, and what each person eats per portion. I usually buy either
Cribari or Gallo Marsala, which could certainly be served by itself as a
beverage, but I only use it in cooking.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Different Marsala wines are classified according to their color,
> >sweetness and the duration of their aging. The three levels of sweetness
> >are secco (with a maximum 40 grams of residual sugar per liter),
> >semisecco' (41-100 g/l) and sweet (over 100 g/l). The color and aging
> >classifications are as follows:
> > [ . . . ]

> I didn't know that, Nick - thanks I've only seen the sweet stuff
> round here too. Maybe I'll have to get my neighbour, who visits Italy
> often, to get me some secco : )

I like to use the dry for cooking. If it's a cream dish, you can always
add some double cream or mascarpone to balance it. I drink the sweet as I
would a Tokaji (wish I could afford 5 Puttonya). The dry Marsala is nice
to sip with veal and such. There's no Sherry in my house!

How's yer body doin'? Are ya able to be back ta training hard?

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> I use Marsala exclusively as the cooking wine around here. It improves
> the flavor of almost anything, especially if it contains tomatoes.
>
> I have a recipe that might go very well in a crockpot.
>
> Buy a pork shoulder roast, some places it is called a "boston butt" and
> they can be quite large. First sautee a generous amount of chopped
> onions in a pot, add some chicken stock and Marsala wine. Put the pork
> roast into the pot, cover it and simmer for a really long time. When
> the meat is nearly falling off the bone, it is done. It is one of my
> most delicious recipes.

Also good smoked in the BBQ. More at alt.food.barbecue. Big Jim, a
gentleman,in particular! There are so many names for the shoulder cuts:

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkShoulder.html

Do you cook with the dry or the sweet Marsala, Evelyn?

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> The dry Marsala just doesn't have the flavor of the stuff usually sold
> for cooking. I ruined a chicken Marsala one time when I couldn't find
> the cheap Marsala and could only get the Florio brand, which is very dry.
> You use very little of it, so the carbs are not much when you consider an
> entire recipe, and what each person eats per portion. I usually buy
> either Cribari or Gallo Marsala, which could certainly be served by
> itself as a beverage, but I only use it in cooking.

I have to stop being so chronological and read ahead, sometimes. ;-o

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> I use Marsala exclusively as the cooking wine around here. It improves
>> the flavor of almost anything, especially if it contains tomatoes.
>>
>> I have a recipe that might go very well in a crockpot.
>>
>> Buy a pork shoulder roast, some places it is called a "boston butt" and
>> they can be quite large. First sautee a generous amount of chopped
>> onions in a pot, add some chicken stock and Marsala wine. Put the pork
>> roast into the pot, cover it and simmer for a really long time. When
>> the meat is nearly falling off the bone, it is done. It is one of my
>> most delicious recipes.

> Also good smoked in the BBQ. More at alt.food.barbecue. Big Jim, a
> gentleman,in particular! There are so many names for the shoulder cuts:
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkShoulder.html
>
> Do you cook with the dry or the sweet Marsala, Evelyn?

I use the CHEAP Marsala, like Opici or Gallo, which is slightly sweet. I
use so little in an entire dish that it doesn't affect my blood glucose.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> I use the CHEAP Marsala, like Opici or Gallo, which is slightly sweet.
> I use so little in an entire dish that it doesn't affect my blood
> glucose.

As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook with it!
For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon, I'll use Jim Beam.
I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the charcoal in my BBQ! ;-D

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> I use the CHEAP Marsala, like Opici or Gallo, which is slightly sweet.
>> I use so little in an entire dish that it doesn't affect my blood
>> glucose.

> As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook with it!
> For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon, I'll use Jim Beam.
> I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the charcoal in my BBQ! ;-D

Right! Daniels is a "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" Not too many folks know
that. I am impressed, Nick.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook with
> > it! For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon, I'll use
> > Jim Beam. I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the charcoal in
> > my BBQ! ;-D
> >

> Right! Daniels is a "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" Not too many folks know
> that. I am impressed, Nick.

Heh heh! I've been drinking Old Forester since 1953, Janet.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: >>> "Evelyn" > wrote:
: >>>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
: >>>>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
: >>>>>> [ . . . ]
: >
: >> I use the CHEAP Marsala, like Opici or Gallo, which is slightly sweet.
: >> I use so little in an entire dish that it doesn't affect my blood
: >> glucose.
: >
: > As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook with it!
: > For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon, I'll use Jim Beam.
: > I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the charcoal in my BBQ! ;-D
: >
: Right! Daniels is a "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" Not too many folks know
: that. I am impressed, Nick.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker > wrote:
: : > As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook with it!
: : > For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon, I'll use Jim Beam.
: : > I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the charcoal in my BBQ! ;-D
: : >
: : Right! Daniels is a "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" Not too many folks know
: : that. I am impressed, Nick.

: : --
: : Janet Wilder

My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"

:-)
Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
> realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"
>
> :-)
> Wendy

I realize that now, Wendy.

Send me your email address to the one I use here. I have a cute picture
to send you of my puppy's first Chanukah.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> W. Baker > wrote:
> : : > As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook
> : : > with it! For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon,
> : : > I'll use Jim Beam. I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the
> : : > charcoal in my BBQ! ;-D
> : : >
> : : Right! Daniels is a "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" Not too many folks
> : : know that. I am impressed, Nick.

> My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
> realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"

Shucks. You're sure a sweet talker, li'l Sis. ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> W. Baker wrote:
>
> > My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
> > realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"

> I realize that now, Wendy.

So Jaye, as I say to the JW's, when they come knocking on my door, "Would
you like to come in and have a drink with me?" ;-D

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> W. Baker wrote:
>>
>>> My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't
>>> you realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"

>> I realize that now, Wendy.

> So Jaye, as I say to the JW's, when they come knocking on my door,
> "Would you like to come in and have a drink with me?" ;-D

I like the Mormons. Once I was sick when I answered the door and the two
clean cut boy next door American kids offered to come and help me out as I
had all 4 of my youngest here back then. I said well, there is lots of
bedding to wash becasue of the vomits and they said no problem!!! I said no,
really I couldn't ask them to do that. After a bit of an argument they
conceded. I doubt they would have accepted any hard liquor though

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> W. Baker wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> I like the Mormons. Once I was sick when I answered the door and the two
> clean cut boy next door American kids offered to come and help me out as
> I had all 4 of my youngest here back then. I said well, there is lots of
> bedding to wash becasue of the vomits and they said no problem!!! I said
> no, really I couldn't ask them to do that. After a bit of an argument
> they conceded. I doubt they would have accepted any hard liquor though

I always told the Mormons that I was a Jack Mormon; told the Jehovah's
Witnesses that I had been disfellowshipped. But, generous, polite, loving
person that I am, I always invited them in for a drink. Sometimes they
walked away. The JW's with kids ran! I haven't been able to find it, but
they must have put some kind of mark on my house, as they stopped coming
here a couple of years ago. ;-(

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> I like the Mormons. Once I was sick when I answered the door and the two
>> clean cut boy next door American kids offered to come and help me out as
>> I had all 4 of my youngest here back then. I said well, there is lots of
>> bedding to wash becasue of the vomits and they said no problem!!! I said
>> no, really I couldn't ask them to do that. After a bit of an argument
>> they conceded. I doubt they would have accepted any hard liquor though

> I always told the Mormons that I was a Jack Mormon; told the Jehovah's
> Witnesses that I had been disfellowshipped. But, generous, polite, loving
> person that I am, I always invited them in for a drink. Sometimes they
> walked away. The JW's with kids ran! I haven't been able to find it, but
> they must have put some kind of mark on my house, as they stopped coming
> here a couple of years ago. ;-(

I have a brochure I wrote in my computer. I would give them this, and tell
them I'd read their literature if they read mine. They NEVER come back
after that! :-)

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
: > realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"
: >
: > :-)
: > Wendy

: I realize that now, Wendy.

: Send me your email address to the one I use here. I have a cute picture
: to send you of my puppy's first Chanukah.

I sent you an email to your above addy and it was returned. Just send me
your mail to the address above, It is not munged.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > W. Baker > wrote:
: > : : > As long as it's a good enough quality that I'd drink it, I'd cook
: > : : > with it! For instance, when cooking dishes that call for Bourbon,
: > : : > I'll use Jim Beam. I use Jack Daniels (NOT a Bourbon) to light the
: > : : > charcoal in my BBQ! ;-D
: > : : >
: > : : Right! Daniels is a "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskey" Not too many folks
: > : : know that. I am impressed, Nick.

: > My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
: > realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"

: Shucks. You're sure a sweet talker, li'l Sis. ;-)

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Well, I might have used a different term. I hope you appreciated my
tact:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> I like the Mormons. Once I was sick when I answered the door and
>>> the two clean cut boy next door American kids offered to come and
>>> help me out as I had all 4 of my youngest here back then. I said
>>> well, there is lots of bedding to wash becasue of the vomits and
>>> they said no problem!!! I said no, really I couldn't ask them to do
>>> that. After a bit of an argument they conceded. I doubt they would
>>> have accepted any hard liquor though

>> I always told the Mormons that I was a Jack Mormon; told the
>> Jehovah's Witnesses that I had been disfellowshipped. But, generous,
>> polite, loving person that I am, I always invited them in for a
>> drink. Sometimes they walked away. The JW's with kids ran! I haven't
>> been able to find it, but they must have put some kind of mark on my
>> house, as they stopped coming here a couple of years ago. ;-(

> I have a brochure I wrote in my computer. I would give them this,
> and tell them I'd read their literature if they read mine. They
> NEVER come back after that! :-)

lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I had a cousin who was a well studied Catholic, and whenever the JW showed
up at his door he would invite them in and they would all have a long
discussion about religion...the JW always conceded first...LOL. They stopped
coming to his door. Az has it's share of Mormons...I even went to their
church for a while...part of joining my church...we were encouraged to check
out other religions. One thing that impressed me was how important the
family is to the church. I have never been bothered my Mormon boys at my
door...but I swear the JW's followed us to England when we moved there in
the 70's. We lived in the middle of a farming community and one day there
was a knock at the door...imagine my surprise when I saw the JWs standing
there at my door

Jacquie
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> I like the Mormons. Once I was sick when I answered the door and the two
>> clean cut boy next door American kids offered to come and help me out as
>> I had all 4 of my youngest here back then. I said well, there is lots of
>> bedding to wash becasue of the vomits and they said no problem!!! I said
>> no, really I couldn't ask them to do that. After a bit of an argument
>> they conceded. I doubt they would have accepted any hard liquor though

> I always told the Mormons that I was a Jack Mormon; told the Jehovah's
> Witnesses that I had been disfellowshipped. But, generous, polite, loving
> person that I am, I always invited them in for a drink. Sometimes they
> walked away. The JW's with kids ran! I haven't been able to find it, but
> they must have put some kind of mark on my house, as they stopped coming
> here a couple of years ago. ;-(
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:26:24 +1100, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>> I have a brochure I wrote in my computer. I would give them this,
>> and tell them I'd read their literature if they read mine. They
>> NEVER come back after that! :-)

>lol.

What a great idea. The problem for my local JH and Mormons
(well, shipped-in local 21yo "elders" from Utah) was that I
am retired and have time on my hands and enjoy reading the
bible as a book full of a great mixture of myth, history and
hearsay. I find it fascinating, have read much of it many
times and therefore know it fairly well.

So the first few times one knocked on the door I happily
spent up to an hour discussing history, theology, biblical
chapters and logic on the door-step.

For some odd reason I see them walk straight past these
days. I almost miss them...

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Diabetes and Dental health)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> W. Baker wrote:
>>
>>> My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
>>> realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"

>> I realize that now, Wendy.

> So Jaye, as I say to the JW's, when they come knocking on my door, "Would
> you like to come in and have a drink with me?" ;-D

Next time I'm up north. If you find yourself in way-the-heck-south Texas
I have a wonderful bar that matches our entertainment center unit. I
designed the bar (and the entertainment center) and had them built for
me by a local cabinet maker/furniture builder. Since I can get duty-free
liquor rather easily, it's pretty well stocked, too. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
> : W. Baker wrote:
>
> : > My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Jnet, Didn't you
> : > realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"
> : >
> : > :-)
> : > Wendy
>
> : I realize that now, Wendy.
>
> : Send me your email address to the one I use here. I have a cute picture
> : to send you of my puppy's first Chanukah.
>
> I sent you an email to your above addy and it was returned. Just send me
> your mail to the address above, It is not munged.
>
> Wendy

I don't know why it came back, but I sent you an email with the picture
attached.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mormons was Got my 6 qt crockpot

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:07:33 +1100, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> So Jaye, as I say to the JW's, when they come knocking on my door,
>>> "Would you like to come in and have a drink with me?" ;-D

>> I like the Mormons. Once I was sick when I answered the door and the
>> two clean cut boy next door American kids offered to come and help
>> me out as I had all 4 of my youngest here back then. I said well,
>> there is lots of bedding to wash becasue of the vomits and they said
>> no problem!!! I said no, really I couldn't ask them to do that.
>> After a bit of an argument they conceded. I doubt they would have
>> accepted any hard liquor though

> I had a friend who was raised Mormon. She said the best thing about
> them was how they took care of each other. She explained to me that
> was the purpose of the frequent home visits. I can certainly
> appreciate that. People can have some very hard times, but if no one
> visits, no one knows. It's pretty easy to convince people over the
> phone that everything is fine, when one peek in the front door will
> show that it isn't.
>
> If anything ever happened to my husband (who checks in every day), my
> son and I could rot down here for weeks -- maybe even months -- before
> anyone even knew something had happened to us.

I was blown away that they sincerely wanted to come in and help with
whatever, not just a vacuum or yard tidy. I almost felt bad for refusing
them. In the pouring rain one day I offered to pick two of them up and they
refused, almost seemed happy to walk in the teeming rain with no protection.
And I rather like being called ma'm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> I have a brochure I wrote in my computer. I would give them this, and
> tell them I'd read their literature if they read mine. They NEVER come
> back after that! :-)

Hee hee! Wonderful, Evelyn. I've looked around the front of my house (and
curb) for the sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, "vav", the Mark of Cain!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > W. Baker > wrote:
> : > : : > [ . . . ]
> : > My original reply seems to have gotton lost. I said,"Janet, Didn't
> : > you realize that Nick is our resident hard liquor expert?"
>
> : Shucks. You're sure a sweet talker, li'l Sis. ;-)

> Well, I might have used a different term. I hope you appreciated my
> tact:-)

I do, indeed. Thanks, Sis.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> I realize that now, Wendy.

> > So Jaye, as I say to the JW's, when they come knocking on my door,
> > "Would you like to come in and have a drink with me?" ;-D

> Next time I'm up north. If you find yourself in way-the-heck-south Texas
> I have a wonderful bar that matches our entertainment center unit. I
> designed the bar (and the entertainment center) and had them built for
> me by a local cabinet maker/furniture builder. Since I can get duty-free
> liquor rather easily, it's pretty well stocked, too. :-)

Such a deal! I generally hit Austin and hang in Cedar Creek and Elgin. Is
that close?

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:45:45 -0600, BlueBrooke >
> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't bother me anymore. I say "yes, ma'am" and "no, sir"
>> automatically now, and no one has complained. Of course, I'm really
>> big and scary looking, so that might have something to do with it.
>> ;-)

> You ARE? Do I have to readjust my mental image of you? :P

Me too, I pictured her small and slim, very slim. Oh well, there goes
another preconception Next she will be telling me she is a he!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> So Jaye, as I say to the JW's, when they come knocking on my door,
>>> "Would you like to come in and have a drink with me?" ;-D

>> Next time I'm up north. If you find yourself in way-the-heck-south Texas
>> I have a wonderful bar that matches our entertainment center unit. I
>> designed the bar (and the entertainment center) and had them built for
>> me by a local cabinet maker/furniture builder. Since I can get duty-free
>> liquor rather easily, it's pretty well stocked, too. :-)

> Such a deal! I generally hit Austin and hang in Cedar Creek and Elgin. Is
> that close?

We are about 340 miles from Austin (southeast)Not exactly close, but
nothing is close in Texas. We do have a couple of guest rooms.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>> Next time I'm up north. If you find yourself in way-the-heck-south Texas
>>> I have a wonderful bar that matches our entertainment center unit. I
>>> designed the bar (and the entertainment center) and had them built for
>>> me by a local cabinet maker/furniture builder. Since I can get duty-free
>>> liquor rather easily, it's pretty well stocked, too. :-)

>> Such a deal! I generally hit Austin and hang in Cedar Creek and Elgin. Is
>> that close?
>>

> We are about 340 miles from Austin (southeast)Not exactly close, but
> nothing is close in Texas. We do have a couple of guest rooms.--

Janet, my daughter lives in Austin TX.
--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> We are about 340 miles from Austin (southeast)Not exactly close, but
> nothing is close in Texas. We do have a couple of guest rooms.

OK. I'll letcha know when we're headin' thataway. Thanks.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08 Jan 2009 10:42:29 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Hee hee! Wonderful, Evelyn. I've looked around the front of my house (and
>curb) for the sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, "vav", the Mark of Cain!

LOL - does it need to be in any particular place, or typeface?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 08 Jan 2009 10:42:29 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
> >Hee hee! Wonderful, Evelyn. I've looked around the front of my house
> >(and curb) for the sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, "vav", the Mark
> >of Cain!

> LOL - does it need to be in any particular place, or typeface?

I'd recognize it in any font. Even ASCII!

\

Close enough for a Sichy goy from da Bronx!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 09 Jan 2009 09:16:49 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Nicky > wrote:
>> On 08 Jan 2009 10:42:29 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hee hee! Wonderful, Evelyn. I've looked around the front of my house
>> >(and curb) for the sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, "vav", the Mark
>> >of Cain!

>> LOL - does it need to be in any particular place, or typeface?

>I'd recognize it in any font. Even ASCII!
>
> \

OK; I can do one of those; thanks : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> Such a deal! I generally hit Austin and hang in Cedar Creek and
>>> Elgin. Is
>>> that close?
>>>

>> We are about 340 miles from Austin (southeast)Not exactly close, but
>> nothing is close in Texas. We do have a couple of guest rooms.--

> Janet, my daughter lives in Austin TX.
> --
> Best Regards,
> Evelyn

I love Austin, though it is growing a little too quickly. We don't get
up there very often because it means an overnight.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> We are about 340 miles from Austin (southeast)Not exactly close, but
>> nothing is close in Texas. We do have a couple of guest rooms.

> OK. I'll letcha know when we're headin' thataway. Thanks.

No one heads this way unless they are going to Mexico :-) We are so off
the "beaten path" here, it's almost like living on an island.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.tinypic.info/files/jvmrg27cvkaueusxt1nf.jpg

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Crockpot dreams turn into crockpot nightmares Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 20 01-03-2013 05:57 PM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 4 13-10-2010 01:50 AM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 11-10-2010 11:59 PM
Crockpot Use gtr General Cooking 47 16-04-2010 12:39 AM
REC: CrockPot...Not Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 24 17-07-2006 12:53 AM