Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Got my 6 qt crockpot

Julie Bove wrote:
> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with a
> crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that are
> unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking them.

on Amazon, i recently bought a low-carb easy meal recipe book

they suggested a low-carb crockpot dinners cook book as well.........
give them a try

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message

>>> Huh. That's not what a casserole is here!

>> Possibly. But then "here" is your small section of the USA
>> for you and casserole is a French word, so what matters to
>> the rest of the world is what a casserole is wherever they
>> happen to be. And for the rest of the world it appears to
>> differ from your version.

> It's not just my small section of the USA. It seems to be all of the USA
> and probably Canada as well. However I do think casseroles are more popular
> in the Midwest, but I could be wrong about that.
>
> When I look up recipes for casseroles, I get recipes that I am familiar
> with. Some kind of pasta, rice, potatoes, sometimes crushed crackers or
> potato chips, mixed with some meat or fish and cream soup or cheese,
> sometimes veggies added and often topped with bread crumbs, potato chips or
> crushed crackers.

in over 52 years of living in Canada i have had ONE casserole that
involved pasta, rice, crushed crackers or potato chips! and that was in
grade 8 and the dish was VILE! (and it was macaroni)

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Thanks! Lamb must be cheap there. Here it costs about a dollar a
>>> bite so not something I buy much of. Occasionally I will let Angela
>>> have a lamb kebob from the store, but husband won't eat it and not
>>> something I fancy trying.
>>>
>>> I like lentil soup, but nobody else in the family does. They won't
>>> eat bean soup either. So I just go without or on a rare occasion get
>>> something in a can.

>> Lamb kebabs cost the same as beef or chicken ones but lamb cuts from the
>> butcher are an obscene price. Every so often a special comes up though and
>> I grab a few shanks. They melt in your mouth in the crockpot. In soups I
>> use lentils or barley or some kind of beans. Pasta and rice turn to mush.
>> I also use less in a crockpot than I would in a casserole dish or saucepan
>> as they soften and plump more (talking the beans, barley, lentils etc
>> now). My crock pot stews and soups are based around lots of veggies.
>> Basically carrot, turnip, onion, garlic, celery (plus the leaves,
>> chopped), some cabbage if I have it as it bulks it out, and always a large
>> can of crushed tomatoes, juice and all. That means I only have to put in a
>> little water, if any. I use stewing meats and they melt in your mouth.
>> Sometimes chicken or lamb shanks but mostly beef. I use ham hocks or bacon
>> bones for soups usually plus a bit more water and the lentils/barley.

> I never put water in stew. Just tomatoes or broth.

ok, so how do you think 'broth' is made?

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> here are some Crockpot stew recipes
> http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blstew.htm
>
> Some casserole recipes.
> http://www.recipegoldmine.com/crockp...crockcass.html
>
> There are allot of recipes out there...just do a Google search.
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do
>> with a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup
>> mugs that are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we
>> keep breaking them.

and here is a link to a plethora of low=carb crockpot recipes
http://www.grouprecipes.com/s/low-ca...pe/1/relevancy

enjoy!

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Alan S" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:41:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> : > > wrote:
> : >
> : >>> LOL - Julie, NONE of Alan's recipes, or mine, for a casserole would
> : >>> call for pasta, or rice, or "cream of something or other" - you
> : >>> Americans have done something completely your own with the concept;
> : >>> the original version is a combo of whatever meat, beans, grains, and
> : >>> veggies you have around, flavoured with whatever spices you have
> : >>> handy, and cooked in whatever liquid you like. So perfectly suited
> : >>> crockpot cooking, where you just reduce the liquid volumes.
> Experiment
> : >>> away...
> : >>
> : >>Huh. That's not what a casserole is here!
> : >
> : > Possibly. But then "here" is your small section of the USA
> : > for you and casserole is a French word, so what matters to
> : > the rest of the world is what a casserole is wherever they
> : > happen to be. And for the rest of the world it appears to
> : > differ from your version.
>
> : It's not just my small section of the USA. It seems to be all of the
> USA
> : and probably Canada as well. However I do think casseroles are more
> popular
> : in the Midwest, but I could be wrong about that.
>
> : When I look up recipes for casseroles, I get recipes that I am familiar
> : with. Some kind of pasta, rice, potatoes, sometimes crushed crackers or
> : potato chips, mixed with some meat or fish and cream soup or cheese,
> : sometimes veggies added and often topped with bread crumbs, potato chips
> or
> : crushed crackers.
>
> When I think of casaroles I remember the fabulous toundge and green oodles
> (with home made tomatoe sauce) tht my mother used to make, as wel as the
> home made Boston baked beans(with frankfurters, not salt pork) or even
> what we as kids called Jewish spaghetti(all my aunts made tis one) which
> was spaghetti and tomato sauce with sliced cheese(often american, a tht
> was what was availalbe) on top and baked until bubbly. This was a
> favorite with the little kids.
>
> Sometimes they were leftovers put together in a delicious way,
> particularly after turkey dinners as a variety dish insstead of the same
> old sliced turkey. As a kosher family we didn't make those creamed soup
> and meat ghastlies. Once we made the tuna hot dish but didn't much like
> it.

We never had beans and wieners often. As I kid, I refused to eat wieners of
any kind so my mom didn't make them much at home. There used to be a few
places around here where you could get a wiener, so I think mostly they got
them there if they wanted them. I remember crying when my mom sliced up
wieners into perfectly good macaroni and cheese. I do remember getting a
frozen dinner that had pork and beans with a couple of tiny wieners on it.
I liked those beans but never ate the wieners.

We generally had baked beans only on the 4th of July. So not very often. I
had pork and beans a lot. I liked them straight out of the can on white
bread with butter. When I got older, I put raw onions on them. We did have
a lot of kidney beans, lima beans, chick peas, chili beans, black eyed peas
and navy beans. Often navy bean soup. This was always served with
cornbread. I never had black beans until I was an adult. I like black bean
soup, but I don't much like them in things like salsa or on a salad. I
prefer kidney beans for that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with
>> a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
>> are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking
>> them.

> on Amazon, i recently bought a low-carb easy meal recipe book
>
> they suggested a low-carb crockpot dinners cook book as well......... give
> them a try

I will look there but I can't eat most of the low carb recipes. It seems a
lot of them contain stuff like tofu and cream.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:41:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Possibly. But then "here" is your small section of the USA
>>> for you and casserole is a French word, so what matters to
>>> the rest of the world is what a casserole is wherever they
>>> happen to be. And for the rest of the world it appears to
>>> differ from your version.

>> It's not just my small section of the USA. It seems to be all of the USA
>> and probably Canada as well. However I do think casseroles are more
>> popular in the Midwest, but I could be wrong about that.
>>
>> When I look up recipes for casseroles, I get recipes that I am familiar
>> with. Some kind of pasta, rice, potatoes, sometimes crushed crackers or
>> potato chips, mixed with some meat or fish and cream soup or cheese,
>> sometimes veggies added and often topped with bread crumbs, potato chips
>> or crushed crackers.

> in over 52 years of living in Canada i have had ONE casserole that
> involved pasta, rice, crushed crackers or potato chips! and that was in
> grade 8 and the dish was VILE! (and it was macaroni)

Really? I thought macaroni and cheese was big in Canada.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Lamb kebabs cost the same as beef or chicken ones but lamb cuts from the
>>> butcher are an obscene price. Every so often a special comes up though
>>> and I grab a few shanks. They melt in your mouth in the crockpot. In
>>> soups I use lentils or barley or some kind of beans. Pasta and rice turn
>>> to mush. I also use less in a crockpot than I would in a casserole dish
>>> or saucepan as they soften and plump more (talking the beans, barley,
>>> lentils etc now). My crock pot stews and soups are based around lots of
>>> veggies. Basically carrot, turnip, onion, garlic, celery (plus the
>>> leaves, chopped), some cabbage if I have it as it bulks it out, and
>>> always a large can of crushed tomatoes, juice and all. That means I only
>>> have to put in a little water, if any. I use stewing meats and they melt
>>> in your mouth. Sometimes chicken or lamb shanks but mostly beef. I use
>>> ham hocks or bacon bones for soups usually plus a bit more water and the
>>> lentils/barley.

>> I never put water in stew. Just tomatoes or broth.

> ok, so how do you think 'broth' is made?

I know how it's made but I use just broth as opposed to broth and water like
I would do if cooking on the stove. Soup tends to cook down on the stove
and it doesn't in the crockpot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with a
> crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
> are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking
> them.

I no longer cook my meals, but I did a Google search for crockpot recipes
and found these web sites:

<http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/home.asp?gclid=CIuD7dze8ZcCFQZinAodQ2EwDA>

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

http://www.a-crock-cook.com/

http://www.cookingcache.com/cat/croc...s/default.aspx

http://familycrockpotrecipes.com/

http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Food-a...ockpot-Recipes

http://www.crock-pot-recipes.info/

<http://www.momswhothink.com/crock-pot-recipes/crock-pot-recipes-for-the-crockpot-and-slow-cooker.html>

http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Main-D...oker/Main.aspx

http://www.tastycrockpotrecipes.net/

<http://busycooks.about.com/od/favoritecrockpotrecipes/a/favoritecrockpo.htm>

http://busycooks.about.com/od/favori.../cpchicken.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=28667

http://www.my-crockpot-recipes.com/

http://recipes.kaboose.com/crockpot-recipes.html

http://www.recipes-from-friends.com/...kpot/index.htm

I didn't see any of these offering low-carb crockpot recipes, but they
look worth looking through when you don't have enough crockpot
recipes already known to be low-carb.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It's not just my small section of the USA. It seems to be all of the USA
>>> and probably Canada as well. However I do think casseroles are more
>>> popular in the Midwest, but I could be wrong about that.
>>>
>>> When I look up recipes for casseroles, I get recipes that I am familiar
>>> with. Some kind of pasta, rice, potatoes, sometimes crushed crackers or
>>> potato chips, mixed with some meat or fish and cream soup or cheese,
>>> sometimes veggies added and often topped with bread crumbs, potato chips
>>> or crushed crackers.

>> in over 52 years of living in Canada i have had ONE casserole that
>> involved pasta, rice, crushed crackers or potato chips! and that was in
>> grade 8 and the dish was VILE! (and it was macaroni)

> Really? I thought macaroni and cheese was big in Canada.

ya, kidlet loves macaroni and cheese but that's made in a pot on the
stove, not in a crockpot or casserole

i grew up with macaroni and tomatoes and onions and SOMETIMES cheese as
cheese was expensive

the ONE casserole i had contained macaroni and was VILE, i'd never make
that again!

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>> Really? I thought macaroni and cheese was big in Canada.

> ya, kidlet loves macaroni and cheese but that's made in a pot on the
> stove, not in a crockpot or casserole

Oh. That's the kind we had but tradionally it was baked in the oven with
buttered crumbs on top.

> i grew up with macaroni and tomatoes and onions and SOMETIMES cheese as
> cheese was expensive

I didn't know that! Back when I could eat cheese, I used to go to Canada
just for the cheese because your cheese tasted better to me.

> the ONE casserole i had contained macaroni and was VILE, i'd never make
> that again!

Oh.

And now that I think about it, my mom also used to make a taco casserole.
It had corn chips in it that got oddly soft as they baked.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with
>> a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
>> are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking
>> them.

> I no longer cook my meals, but I did a Google search for crockpot recipes
> and found these web sites:
>
> <http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/home.asp?gclid=CIuD7dze8ZcCFQZinAodQ2EwDA>
>
> http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
>
> http://www.a-crock-cook.com/
>
> http://www.cookingcache.com/cat/croc...s/default.aspx
>
> http://familycrockpotrecipes.com/
>
> http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Food-a...ockpot-Recipes
>
> http://www.crock-pot-recipes.info/
>
> <http://www.momswhothink.com/crock-pot-recipes/crock-pot-recipes-for-the-crockpot-and-slow-cooker.html>
>
> http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Main-D...oker/Main.aspx
>
> http://www.tastycrockpotrecipes.net/
>
> <http://busycooks.about.com/od/favoritecrockpotrecipes/a/favoritecrockpo.htm>
>
> http://busycooks.about.com/od/favori.../cpchicken.htm
>
> http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=28667
>
> http://www.my-crockpot-recipes.com/
>
> http://recipes.kaboose.com/crockpot-recipes.html
>
> http://www.recipes-from-friends.com/...kpot/index.htm
>
> I didn't see any of these offering low-carb crockpot recipes, but they
> look worth looking through when you don't have enough crockpot
> recipes already known to be low-carb.

I'm sure I've been to all of those links. Sadly, most of the recipes are
just repeats and most are ones I can't use. I don't know that I would use
any low carb recipes. I don't do a low carb diet and neither does any of
the rest of the family.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> in over 52 years of living in Canada i have had ONE casserole that
>>> involved pasta, rice, crushed crackers or potato chips! and that was in
>>> grade 8 and the dish was VILE! (and it was macaroni)

>> Really? I thought macaroni and cheese was big in Canada.

> ya, kidlet loves macaroni and cheese but that's made in a pot on the
> stove, not in a crockpot or casserole
>
> i grew up with macaroni and tomatoes and onions and SOMETIMES cheese as
> cheese was expensive
>
> the ONE casserole i had contained macaroni and was VILE, i'd never make
> that again!

When I make macaroni and cheese, it is ALWAYS baked as the last step. The
classic version of the dish is baked...... though of course you can eat
melted cheese and macaroni without baking it. My macaroni and cheese is a
wonderful dish, where a real sauce with quite a nice mix of seasonings, is
prepared from the cheese beforehand, it isn't just melted cheese.

A lady friend of mine makes a squash casserole, which is actually a southern
dish. It is made with yellow squash, saltine crackers, cheese, and don't
know what all else, but it is absolutely delicious.

So both of those casseroles fit Julie's description, but there certainly are
lots of other one dish meals that are prepared with a last step of being
baked or browned a few minutes in an oven, which are correctly calles
casseroles.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with
>> a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
>> are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking
>> them.

> on Amazon, i recently bought a low-carb easy meal recipe book
>
> they suggested a low-carb crockpot dinners cook book as well......... give
> them a try

I'm sure that won't work.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

[...]

I just reember the wonderful black bean soup my other used to ake. It has
sherry in it and was garnished with either chopped or sliced hard boiled
egg. Very yummy. sorry I don't have a recipe or I might try it with
those black soy beans.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>

> : We never had beans and wieners often. As I kid, I refused to eat
> wieners of
> : any kind so my mom didn't make them much at home. There used to be a
> few
> : places around here where you could get a wiener, so I think mostly they
> got
> : them there if they wanted them. I remember crying when my mom sliced up
> : wieners into perfectly good macaroni and cheese. I do remember getting
> : frozen dinner that had pork and beans with a couple of tiny wieners on
> it.
> : I liked those beans but never ate the wieners.
>
> : We generally had baked beans only on the 4th of July. So not very
> often. I
> : had pork and beans a lot. I liked them straight out of the can on white
> : bread with butter. When I got older, I put raw onions on them. We did
> have
> : a lot of kidney beans, lima beans, chick peas, chili beans, black eyed
> peas
> : and navy beans. Often navy bean soup. This was always served with
> : cornbread. I never had black beans until I was an adult. I like black
> bean
> : soup, but I don't much like them in things like salsa or on a salad. I
> : prefer kidney beans for that.
>
> I just reember the wonderful black bean soup my other used to ake. It has
> sherry in it and was garnished with either chopped or sliced hard boiled
> egg. Very yummy. sorry I don't have a recipe or I might try it with
> those black soy beans.

My parents love black beans now and eat a lot of them. I don't know why we
didn't have them as a child. I don't remember seeing any in the store. I
do remember seeing recipes in my mom's cookbooks for turtle beans and I
think perhaps that is what they were called in those days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: > I just reember the wonderful black bean soup my other used to ake. It has
: > sherry in it and was garnished with either chopped or sliced hard boiled
: > egg. Very yummy. sorry I don't have a recipe or I might try it with
: > those black soy beans.

: My parents love black beans now and eat a lot of them. I don't know why we
: didn't have them as a child. I don't remember seeing any in the store. I
: do remember seeing recipes in my mom's cookbooks for turtle beans and I
: think perhaps that is what they were called in those days.
They stil are, the smalalish ones that come inthe bags. black turtle
beans and they are black skinned but, lie oreos, wite inside:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie wrote:

> hubby's workmate is from China (in the last 7 years)
>
> he says 'do NOT buy/eat ANY food made in China, it's not 'fit' for human
> consumption'
>
> that's right from the horses mouth...... and it's his policy, they have
> NO food grown/canned/whatever in China in their house.............. and
> nor do we (i miss canned mushrooms, they were handy to have around) but
> that's the only thing i haven't found an alternative to...... and yes,
> i'm back to reading all the labels again!

Check out http://www.templeofthai.com/

Google on [Thai canned mushrooms]

HTH

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with a
> crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
> are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking
> them.

A nice piece of pork slow cooked with onions, garlic, salt, pepper, celery,
string and wax beans added near the end. Low carb and delicious.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:30:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with a
>>crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
>>are
>>unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking them.
>>

> I don't have a crockpot, but any good stew or casserole
> recipe should work well.

Wouldn't they be too high in carbs for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes?

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Inspiration)
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 23:04:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Not really casseroles. At least not most of them. A lot of those use
>>pasta
>>or rice and in most cases it doesn't do well in the crockpot. And most
>>call
>>for some kind of cream of something or other soup which we can't eat.

> LOL - Julie, NONE of Alan's recipes, or mine, for a casserole would
> call for pasta, or rice, or "cream of something or other" - you
> Americans have done something completely your own with the concept;
> the original version is a combo of whatever meat, beans, grains, and
> veggies you have around, flavoured with whatever spices you have
> handy, and cooked in whatever liquid you like. So perfectly suited to
> crockpot cooking, where you just reduce the liquid volumes. Experiment
> away...

In Brooklyn NY we called that Mulligan Stew. It was usually made with
mostly leftovers.

> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:24:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>The casserole we always had when I was growing up was tuna. Cream of
>>mushroom soup, peas, canned tuna and topped with crushed Saltines or
>>potato
>>chips.
>>
>>When I was in high school, Tater Tot casserole was popular. Green beans,
>>cream of celery soup, ground beef and the Tater Tots on top.

> Are you describing food, here?! Sounds dreadful. What on earth is a
> Tater Tot?

In NY they were frozen fried potato balls. My mother put them on a baking
sheet and in the oven until piping hot.

> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:36:11 -0600, "Hedda Lettis"
> wrote:

>> I don't have a crockpot, but any good stew or casserole
>> recipe should work well.

>Wouldn't they be too high in carbs for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes?

That depends entirely on the recipe you choose. Lots of good
low and lower carb recipes out there.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Diabetes and Dental health)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:38:00 -0600, "Hedda Lettis" >
wrote:

>> the original version is a combo of whatever meat, beans, grains, and
>> veggies you have around, flavoured with whatever spices you have
>> handy, and cooked in whatever liquid you like. So perfectly suited to
>> crockpot cooking, where you just reduce the liquid volumes. Experiment
>> away...

>In Brooklyn NY we called that Mulligan Stew. It was usually made with
>mostly leftovers.

I wouldn't do it with leftovers in a crockpot - you need the fresh
ingredients to give their savour to the liquid, and to retain some of
their texture during the long cooking.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : > I just reember the wonderful black bean soup my other used to ake. It
> has
> : > sherry in it and was garnished with either chopped or sliced hard
> boiled
> : > egg. Very yummy. sorry I don't have a recipe or I might try it with
> : > those black soy beans.
>
> : My parents love black beans now and eat a lot of them. I don't know why
> we
> : didn't have them as a child. I don't remember seeing any in the store.
> : do remember seeing recipes in my mom's cookbooks for turtle beans and I
> : think perhaps that is what they were called in those days.
> They stil are, the smalalish ones that come inthe bags. black turtle
> beans and they are black skinned but, lie oreos, wite inside:-)

Not here. Here they're called black beans. I asked my mom about them. She
said she didn't think they were available when I was a kid unless perhaps
they were sold with the ethnic foods and she doesn't buy from that section.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Hedda Lettis" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with
>> a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that
>> are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking
>> them.

> A nice piece of pork slow cooked with onions, garlic, salt, pepper,
> celery, string and wax beans added near the end. Low carb and delicious.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have a pot roast in my slow coooker right now. It's large but it will
be a few meals.

I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned
with granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix),
marjoram, thyme and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef
broth, about 3 tbsp ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful
of mini carrots and a stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.

I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>I have a pot roast in my slow coooker right now. It's large but it will be
>a few meals.
>
> I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
> of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned with
> granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix), marjoram, thyme
> and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef broth, about 3 tbsp
> ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful of mini carrots and a
> stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.
>
> I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.

That much meat in this house would be enough for a meal and maybe a small
portion leftover. My husband LOVES meat. I don't do soup mix in mine. I
can't remember what's in there, but something we're allergic to. I just do
an onion unless I'm doing the Italian style where I also add mushrooms,
peppers and tomato sauce. I used to add wine but I can't have that any
more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>I have a pot roast in my slow coooker right now. It's large but it will be
>a few meals.
>
> I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
> of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned with
> granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix), marjoram, thyme
> and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef broth, about 3 tbsp
> ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful of mini carrots and a
> stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.
>
> I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder

That sounds delicious, Janet.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do with a
> crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup mugs that are
> unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we keep breaking them.

Recently, I make beef stock in my 6qt Crock Pot<tm>. Then I use the
stock to make French Onion soup.

--
Don't bother with piddly crap like "gun control".
Life is 100% fatal. Ban it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I make chicken soup but never with bones. I can't eat anything with bones
> in it and if I had to pick the bones out, I could never eat it.

If you took the /bones/ out, it wouldn't be /crunchy/ would it?

I find I take the bones and the skin off while it's cooking. Granted,
I've not done this with a crock pot.

--
Don't bother with piddly crap like "gun control".
Life is 100% fatal. Ban it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Howard S Shubs" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I make chicken soup but never with bones. I can't eat anything with
>> bones
>> in it and if I had to pick the bones out, I could never eat it.

> If you took the /bones/ out, it wouldn't be /crunchy/ would it?
>
> I find I take the bones and the skin off while it's cooking. Granted,
> I've not done this with a crock pot.
>
> --
> Don't bother with piddly crap like "gun control".
> Life is 100% fatal. Ban it.

Most people make the best broth by boiling the bones and all. When I make
chicken soup I put a whole chicken into the pot. I boil it till it is
tender, then take it out, remove the skin and bones, then dice the meat and
put it back into the pot.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I have a pot roast in my slow coooker right now. It's large but it will
> be a few meals.
>
> I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
> of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned
> with granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix),
> marjoram, thyme and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef
> broth, about 3 tbsp ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful
> of mini carrots and a stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.
>
> I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.

That sounds good, Janet. Have you tried Marsala instead of burgundy? Since
I missed dinner with you, I'll go heat up a big bowl of Menudo in an hour
or so! ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Howard S Shubs > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > I make chicken soup but never with bones. I can't eat anything with
> > bones in it and if I had to pick the bones out, I could never eat it.

> If you took the /bones/ out, it wouldn't be /crunchy/ would it?
>
> I find I take the bones and the skin off while it's cooking. Granted,
> I've not done this with a crock pot.

When my wife does chicken soup, she breaks the leg bones across the middle
to release the marrow. I'm the only one here that eats the skin, so I get
all of it. ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> I have a pot roast in my slow coooker right now. It's large but it will
>> be a few meals.
>>
>> I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
>> of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned
>> with granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix),
>> marjoram, thyme and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef
>> broth, about 3 tbsp ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful
>> of mini carrots and a stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.
>>
>> I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.

> That sounds good, Janet. Have you tried Marsala instead of burgundy? Since
> I missed dinner with you, I'll go heat up a big bowl of Menudo in an hour
> or so! ;-)

Never tried it with Marsala. The pot roast was yummy. The leftovers are
in the fridge. More than enough for a few meals. C'mon down!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Howard S Shubs" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I make chicken soup but never with bones. I can't eat anything with
>> bones
>> in it and if I had to pick the bones out, I could never eat it.

> If you took the /bones/ out, it wouldn't be /crunchy/ would it?

I don't know. I don't buy things with bones in them except for occasional
drumsticks for husband and daughter.

> I find I take the bones and the skin off while it's cooking. Granted,
> I've not done this with a crock pot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05 Jan 2009 00:51:02 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>> I used a boneless chuck roast weighing about 3.5 pounds. I put a package
>> of onion soup mix (minus half of the powdery stuff) over it. Seasoned
>> with granulated garlic, black pepper (salt is in the soup mix),
>> marjoram, thyme and about 4 bay leaves. Liquid is about 1/4 cup beef
>> broth, about 3 tbsp ketchup and 1/4 cup burgundy wine. I added a handful
>> of mini carrots and a stalk of celery (with leaves) that was sliced up.
>>
>> I cook on high for about 2 hours then on low for about 5 hours.

>That sounds good, Janet. Have you tried Marsala instead of burgundy? Since
>I missed dinner with you, I'll go heat up a big bowl of Menudo in an hour
>or so! ;-)

The Marsala we get here has a fairly high sugar content.
Burgundy doesn't. However, 1/4 cup sholdn't have much carb
effect.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Diabetes and Dental health)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> >That sounds good, Janet. Have you tried Marsala instead of burgundy?
> >Since I missed dinner with you, I'll go heat up a big bowl of Menudo in
> >an hour or so! ;-)

> The Marsala we get here has a fairly high sugar content.
> Burgundy doesn't. However, 1/4 cup sholdn't have much carb
> effect.

Marsala wine comes from Marsala, Sicily. Can you get Dry Marsala, Alan?

Different Marsala wines are classified according to their color, sweetness
and the duration of their aging. The three levels of sweetness are secco
(with a maximum 40 grams of residual sugar per liter), semisecco' (41-100
g/l) and sweet (over 100 g/l). The color and aging classifications are as
follows:

Oro has a golden color.
Ambra has an amber color. The coloring comes from the mosto cotto sweetener
added to the wine. Rubino has a ruby color.
Fine has minimal aging, typically less than a year.
Superiore is aged at least two years.
Superiore Riserva is aged at least four years.
Vergine e/o Soleras is aged at least five years.
Vergine e/o Soleras Stravecchio e Vergine e/o Soleras Riserva is aged at
least ten years.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05 Jan 2009 03:05:42 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>Marsala wine comes from Marsala, Sicily.

Yeah, I knew:-)

> Can you get Dry Marsala, Alan?

Not around here.

>Different Marsala wines are classified according to their color, sweetness
>and the duration of their aging. The three levels of sweetness are secco
>(with a maximum 40 grams of residual sugar per liter), semisecco' (41-100
>g/l) and sweet (over 100 g/l). The color and aging classifications are as
>follows:
>
>Oro has a golden color.
>Ambra has an amber color. The coloring comes from the mosto cotto sweetener
>added to the wine. Rubino has a ruby color.
>Fine has minimal aging, typically less than a year.
>Superiore is aged at least two years.
>Superiore Riserva is aged at least four years.
>Vergine e/o Soleras is aged at least five years.
>Vergine e/o Soleras Stravecchio e Vergine e/o Soleras Riserva is aged at
>least ten years.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Diabetes and Dental health)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:38:00 -0600, "Hedda Lettis" >
> wrote:
>
>>> the original version is a combo of whatever meat, beans, grains, and
>>> veggies you have around, flavoured with whatever spices you have
>>> handy, and cooked in whatever liquid you like. So perfectly suited to
>>> crockpot cooking, where you just reduce the liquid volumes. Experiment
>>> away...

>>In Brooklyn NY we called that Mulligan Stew. It was usually made with
>>mostly leftovers.

> I wouldn't do it with leftovers in a crockpot - you need the fresh
> ingredients to give their savour to the liquid, and to retain some of
> their texture during the long cooking.

This is true. They didn't use crock pots back then. Veggies already cooked
were added near the end. It was a good way for people to use them up. Some
fresh ingredients were also used, celery and potatoes for example. If made
in a crock pot I wouldn't add already cooked veggies until the end - just to
heat them up.

> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Crockpot dreams turn into crockpot nightmares Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 20 01-03-2013 05:57 PM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 4 13-10-2010 01:50 AM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 11-10-2010 11:59 PM
Crockpot Use gtr General Cooking 47 16-04-2010 12:39 AM
REC: CrockPot...Not Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 24 17-07-2006 12:53 AM