Old 24-06-2008, 07:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hot weather meals

The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet daily
...we keep it at 80.
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote:
Robert Miles wrote:
Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
on instead?

Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

Yup. Costs me around $10 (US) a day to run mine. I just use the box fan
when it's not _real_ hot.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Old 24-06-2008, 08:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

It was one of the larger cities - I suspect Phoenix, but don't remember well
enough to be sure.

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...
You must have been in Phoenix, Yuma, or the Gila Bend area Tucson
usually stays about 104 to 106...sometimes it will go higher..like 110 or
115.
When someone says ,but it's a dry heat...my son says "so is a blow
torch..what's your point " I grew up in Tucson and all we had was
a"Swamp Box"...which is basically a drum fan that blows through wet filter
pads and the cooled air goes through the venting in the house...these work
well in May and June...but when the monsoons hit and the humidity goes up
they don't work well at all. In our last house we had both AC and Swamp
boxes...the swamp boxes really save on electricity, so we used then during
the dry hot months and used the AC during the monsoons. Here we only have
AC.
"Robert Miles" wrote in message
. ..
Sound a lot like when my job took me to Arizona for about 2 weeks.
While I was there, the highest temperature every day was about 115F,
and there were no comments about it being hotter than usual. It was a
dry heat, though, so going outside long enough to go to work and back
or to several local bookstores and restaurants was bearable. I don't
think I found a building with anyone in it and no air conditioner,
though.

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We would die without our AC. 106F today...Saturday it was 110F...Most of
June will be in the 100's. However we hardly ever use the furnace in the
winter... We are all electric here. Sometimes we have cold shrimp on
ice and a salad for dinner..or I will make a chicken pasta salad for
hubby and chicken salad for me.

Old 24-06-2008, 09:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles said...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Robert Miles wrote:
Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn
it on instead?

Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to
afford to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot
days.

Sorry to piggyback (butt-in),

I'd go for homemade cold chicken salad, a day old. Probably with garlic
hummus dip instead of mayo. And some Hass avocado and iceberg lettuce for
good measure!

On rye crispbread or pumpernickel squares.

OR a sugar-free icicle on a stick. Depending on my mood.

Andy
Not a believer in low carbs.
Old 24-06-2008, 10:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: In hot weather I love to makke up a large pitcher(2 qts) of gazpacho.
: this can be part of a meal or a super snack. I also like the no sugar
: added jarred borscht.
:
: My gazpacho is fairly free form. I do it all in the food processor, in
: stages as it is just too much to make in one go. Firts I processon or two
: cukes with the skin on, 1-3 cloves garlic, 1 large green pepper(seeded)
: one medium, or if a sweet variety, 1 large onion. Juice and zest of one
: lemon, a glug of wine or cider vinegar, lots of FGBP, 1 28 oz can of
: tomatoes, 1 6 oz can of tomato paste and 3 6 oz cans of water(kind of
: reconstituted tomato juice, cheaper and with less salt for husband). I
: then add eithe rsome tabasco auce or some peppericino flakes totasteand
: let mello in the fridge. Serve this ice cold and it is heaven., Just
: don't over-process so there is some nice texture left. I do each
: vegetable separately to control the textures.
:
: I am getting hungry thinking about this, but it is fairly cool here in the
: Catskill mountains.

: I tried gazpacho once and didn't like it. It was canned though. Could be I
: would like the fresh better since I do like all of the ingredients that go
: in it. I wonder why it is never served in restaurants?
We are ucky around here. Several of the "diner"/Coffee shop style
restaurants around here serve it in the summer. I sometimes go in and
have a small bowl for an afternoon snack, with extra lemon and tabasco or
a whole bowl for lunch. Great tasting,filling and low all kinds of
things.

Wendy

Old 24-06-2008, 10:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
: "W. Baker" wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: : "Nick Cramer" wrote in message
: [ . . . ]
: I am getting hungry thinking about this, but it is fairly cool here in
: the Catskill mountains.

: Whereabouts in the Catskills, Wendy? I did a lot of mountain hiking,
: camping and hunting up there in the 50's. I remember Lake Lee (?).

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Margaretville, about 1 hour WNW of Kingston or half way beween Kingston
and Oneonta.

Wendy

Old 25-06-2008, 12:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...
The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
daily ..we keep it at 80.

Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I am
dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the thermostats
set at 72. I just can't imagine.

Old 25-06-2008, 12:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Alan S wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:57:14 -0500, "krom"
wrote:

Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas

KROM

I've dropped bananas completely, but often eat an apple as
two separate half-apple snacks at different times of day.

I'm utterly shameless. When one of my colleagues is slicing up an apple
for an afternoon snack, I regularly cadge a wedge.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Old 25-06-2008, 03:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...
The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
daily ..we keep it at 80.

Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I am
dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the thermostats
set at 72. I just can't imagine.

We have a Great room with three ceiling fans in it...they really help to
circulate the cool air. When we had the house built Hubby took a pen and
paper and decided three fans would be good to get the air moving all around
the great room....so had the builders put in the wires and stuff..

Old 25-06-2008, 03:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...
The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
daily ..we keep it at 80.

Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I
am dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the
thermostats set at 72. I just can't imagine.

We have a Great room with three ceiling fans in it...they really help to
circulate the cool air. When we had the house built Hubby took a pen and
paper and decided three fans would be good to get the air moving all
around the great room....so had the builders put in the wires and stuff..

We have three ceiling fans in here but no cool air. Can't seem to get any
in here.

Old 25-06-2008, 03:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...
The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
daily ..we keep it at 80.

Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I
am dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the
thermostats set at 72. I just can't imagine.

We have a Great room with three ceiling fans in it...they really help to
circulate the cool air. When we had the house built Hubby took a pen and
paper and decided three fans would be good to get the air moving all
around the great room....so had the builders put in the wires and stuff..

Wow, I love the thought of a Great room. My house has no insulation in the
roof, that makes the heat problem even worse and in winter most of the house
away from the large gas heater is freezing. And I live in a temperate zone.

Old 25-06-2008, 04:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I remember when hubby talked to a salesperson about another model ..at
another company..how much insulation he wanted in our house...she told him
it was a bit overkill..he asked her how long had she lived in AZ .. We
have has much insulation allowed in the roof ..walls..and floor, plus dual
pane windows, that helps allot. My bedroom is far away from the AC unit and
it gets hot because it's the side the sun comes up....so we bought a
portable AC, for the summer.
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

m...

Old 25-06-2008, 06:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well when my wife cuts her apples up to take to work i tried to nibble the
little bit she left on the cores from slicing...send me thru the roof..

Ive tried apple many times and no apple love for me..always spikes me
bad..yet i can eat a entire can of pinapple or a pint of strawberries or
most any berry with not a budge.

KROM

"Alice Faber" wrote

Old 25-06-2008, 06:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
On 24 Jun 2008 08:50:00 GMT, Nick Cramer

I can't even get to the stove to make my macchinetta of coffee! I'll see
if if I can get me daughter to get some of that pre-bagged salad and
slaw. Thanks for helping an old gent out. ;-)

Nick, your wife comes from a seriously hot part of the world - what do
the Thais do when it's steamy? It occurs to me that hot weather and
spicy food go together - maybe the solution is to eat something to
make you sweat...

We eat spicy food year round. We eat more of it and spicier during hot
weather. Let me know if you want any recipes. ;-)

Old 25-06-2008, 06:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
: "W. Baker" wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: : "Nick Cramer" wrote in message
: [ . . . ]
Margaretville, about 1 hour WNW of Kingston or half way beween Kingston
and Oneonta.

What beautiful country. And you're right next to Catskill Park. Wonderful!

Old 25-06-2008, 06:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
: Well when my wife cuts her apples up to take to work i tried to nibble the
: little bit she left on the cores from slicing...send me thru the roof..

: Ive tried apple many times and no apple love for me..always spikes me
: bad..yet i can eat a entire can of pinapple or a pint of strawberries or
: most any berry with not a budge.

: KROM

Krom, are htere any fruits that you are able to eat? I know you are
attempting to maintain extremely low bgs throughout the day, well below
what most of us even aim for, let alone attain. I wonder if your very
strict requirements, which you , remarkaly achieve, may be the reason you
are so limited in so many fruits and even vegetables.

For me, aiming for an A1c in he mid 5's and tryn gto keepthe pps below
130-140 at one hour adn 120 at 2 and usually achieving lower pps than
that, allows me to have a bit more leeway wiwth what I can eat, like a
bit more fruit, paticularly in the summertime, when I love the stone
fruits , cherries and berries that are so available. I wonder if you
aren't being to hard on yourself. I do admire your success, but it is a
long lifetime to be qite so limited in what you can eat.

Wendy