Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hot weather meals

Saturday, I couldn't even think of food before 8:45 PM. BG 68. Had a slice
of dark rye with horseradish mustard, Limburger, onion and liverwurst. One
hour PP BG 105.

Yesterday was a little better. I ate at 6:30 PM. BG 75. Had one cup of
pasta with shrimp, Pecorino Romano and a handful of cashews. One hour PP BG
98. Three hours later I had a snack. BG 92. Had a tomato and half a slice
of dark rye with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. One hour PP BG 106. An hour and
a half later, Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky rice with coconut
milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one teaspoonful! It's a
conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Saturday, I couldn't even think of food before 8:45 PM. BG 68. Had a slice
> of dark rye with horseradish mustard, Limburger, onion and liverwurst. One
> hour PP BG 105.
>
> Yesterday was a little better. I ate at 6:30 PM. BG 75. Had one cup of
> pasta with shrimp, Pecorino Romano and a handful of cashews. One hour PP
> BG
> 98. Three hours later I had a snack. BG 92. Had a tomato and half a slice
> of dark rye with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. One hour PP BG 106. An hour
> and
> a half later, Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky rice with
> coconut
> milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one teaspoonful! It's a
> conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?

If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during hot
weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
vegetables.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Saturday, I couldn't even think of food before 8:45 PM. BG 68. Had a slice
: > of dark rye with horseradish mustard, Limburger, onion and liverwurst. One
: > hour PP BG 105.
: >
: > Yesterday was a little better. I ate at 6:30 PM. BG 75. Had one cup of
: > pasta with shrimp, Pecorino Romano and a handful of cashews. One hour PP
: > BG
: > 98. Three hours later I had a snack. BG 92. Had a tomato and half a slice
: > of dark rye with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. One hour PP BG 106. An hour
: > and
: > a half later, Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky rice with
: > coconut
: > milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one teaspoonful! It's a
: > conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?

: If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during hot
: weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
: vegetables.

In hot weather I love to makke up a large pitcher(2 qts) of gazpacho.
this can be part of a meal or a super snack. I also like the no sugar
added jarred borscht.

My gazpacho is fairly free form. I do it all in the food processor, in
stages as it is just too much to make in one go. Firts I processon or two
cukes with the skin on, 1-3 cloves garlic, 1 large green pepper(seeded)
one medium, or if a sweet variety, 1 large onion. Juice and zest of one
lemon, a glug of wine or cider vinegar, lots of FGBP, 1 28 oz can of
tomatoes, 1 6 oz can of tomato paste and 3 6 oz cans of water(kind of
reconstituted tomato juice, cheaper and with less salt for husband). I
then add eithe rsome tabasco auce or some peppericino flakes totasteand
let mello in the fridge. Serve this ice cold and it is heaven., Just
don't over-process so there is some nice texture left. I do each
vegetable separately to control the textures.

I am getting hungry thinking about this, but it is fairly cool here in the
Catskill mountains.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When its really hot and i dont have the a/c on all i can stand to eat is a
ice cold salad..anything else makes me ill.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote >
> If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during
> hot weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
> vegetables.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it on
instead?

"krom" > wrote in message
> When its really hot and i dont have the a/c on all i can stand to eat is a
> ice cold salad..anything else makes me ill.
>
> KROM
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote >
>> If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during
>> hot weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
>> vegetables.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Saturday, I couldn't even think of food before 8:45 PM. BG 68. Had a
> slice of dark rye with horseradish mustard, Limburger, onion and
> liverwurst. One hour PP BG 105.
>
> Yesterday was a little better. I ate at 6:30 PM. BG 75. Had one cup of
> pasta with shrimp, Pecorino Romano and a handful of cashews. One hour
> PP BG
> 98. Three hours later I had a snack. BG 92. Had a tomato and half a
> slice of dark rye with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. One hour PP BG 106.
> An hour and a half later, Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky
> rice with coconut milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one
> teaspoonful! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?

Me When the weather is really hot I keep things like cooked frittata
slices and bagged salads in the fridge. Can have the frittata cold or
reheated slightly in the microwave and the bagged salad just needs a rinse
in a colander and add whatever dressing. I also keep bagged dry slaw and add
a bit of ranch dressing. All easy to and quick to prepare for hot days. I
have no air conditioning. I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge also, ready
peeled.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> When its really hot and i dont have the a/c on all i can stand to eat
> is a ice cold salad..anything else makes me ill.

I like fridge cold apples, but you can't eat apples I have no problem
with a small apple or tomatoes or carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles wrote:
> Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
> on instead?

Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford to
run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Saturday, I couldn't even think of food before 8:45 PM. BG 68. Had a
> slice
> : > of dark rye with horseradish mustard, Limburger, onion and liverwurst.
> One
> : > hour PP BG 105.
> : >
> : > Yesterday was a little better. I ate at 6:30 PM. BG 75. Had one cup of
> : > pasta with shrimp, Pecorino Romano and a handful of cashews. One hour
> PP
> : > BG
> : > 98. Three hours later I had a snack. BG 92. Had a tomato and half a
> slice
> : > of dark rye with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. One hour PP BG 106. An
> hour
> : > and
> : > a half later, Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky rice with
> : > coconut
> : > milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one teaspoonful! It's a
> : > conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?
>
> : If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during
> hot
> : weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
> : vegetables.
>
> In hot weather I love to makke up a large pitcher(2 qts) of gazpacho.
> this can be part of a meal or a super snack. I also like the no sugar
> added jarred borscht.
>
> My gazpacho is fairly free form. I do it all in the food processor, in
> stages as it is just too much to make in one go. Firts I processon or two
> cukes with the skin on, 1-3 cloves garlic, 1 large green pepper(seeded)
> one medium, or if a sweet variety, 1 large onion. Juice and zest of one
> lemon, a glug of wine or cider vinegar, lots of FGBP, 1 28 oz can of
> tomatoes, 1 6 oz can of tomato paste and 3 6 oz cans of water(kind of
> reconstituted tomato juice, cheaper and with less salt for husband). I
> then add eithe rsome tabasco auce or some peppericino flakes totasteand
> let mello in the fridge. Serve this ice cold and it is heaven., Just
> don't over-process so there is some nice texture left. I do each
> vegetable separately to control the textures.
>
> I am getting hungry thinking about this, but it is fairly cool here in the
> Catskill mountains.

I tried gazpacho once and didn't like it. It was canned though. Could be I
would like the fresh better since I do like all of the ingredients that go
in it. I wonder why it is never served in restaurants?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Robert Miles wrote:
>> Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
>> on instead?

> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
> to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

That was one good thing about the military housing in NY. We had AC. Why?
I don't know. We didn't have it on Cape Cod and it got just as hot there
and miserably muggy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> []
> If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during
> hot weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
> vegetables.

Ricotta, hard boiled eggs, diced celery and onion, is wonderful on Romaine
lettuce. My daughter makes both tuna and chicken salads

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

[ . . . ]
> I am getting hungry thinking about this, but it is fairly cool here in
> the Catskill mountains.

Whereabouts in the Catskills, Wendy? I did a lot of mountain hiking,
camping and hunting up there in the 50's. I remember Lake Lee (?).

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We would die without our AC. 106F today...Saturday it was 110F...Most of
June will be in the 100's. However we hardly ever use the furnace in the
winter... We are all electric here. Sometimes we have cold shrimp on ice
and a salad for dinner..or I will make a chicken pasta salad for hubby and
chicken salad for me.

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Robert Miles wrote:
>> Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
>> on instead?

> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
> to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > []Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky
> > rice with coconut milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one
> > teaspoonful! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?

> Me

Ahah! You were one of the usual suspects!

When the weather is really hot I keep things like cooked frittata
> slices and bagged salads in the fridge. Can have the frittata cold or
> reheated slightly in the microwave and the bagged salad just needs a
> rinse in a colander and add whatever dressing. I also keep bagged dry
> slaw and add a bit of ranch dressing. All easy to and quick to prepare
> for hot days. I have no air conditioning. I keep hard boiled eggs in the
> fridge also, ready peeled.

Are your frittatas pre-filled or do you build them when it's time to eat?
Salad would have to be built here and the 'fridge is so full that I usually
just give up. My daughter often makes hard boiled eggs. I gotta snag some.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Robert Miles wrote:
> > Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
> > on instead?

> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
> to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

Yup. Costs me around $10 (US) a day to run mine. I just use the box fan
when it's not _real_ hot.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

No..but i used to live in a condo with no a/c.

My last apartment and my current home have it and id not go without
again..im just saying that if im out and about and its hot i dont want to
eat and then only a cold salad.

KROM

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.. .

> Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it on
> instead?
>
> "krom" > wrote in message
>> When its really hot and i dont have the a/c on all i can stand to eat is
>> a ice cold salad..anything else makes me ill.
>>
>> KROM
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote >
>>> If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs during
>>> hot weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And plenty of raw
>>> vegetables.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> When its really hot and i dont have the a/c on all i can stand to eat
>> is a ice cold salad..anything else makes me ill.
>>

> I like fridge cold apples, but you can't eat apples I have no problem
> with a small apple or tomatoes or carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:57:14 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas
>
>KROM

I've dropped bananas completely, but often eat an apple as
two separate half-apple snacks at different times of day.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Robert Miles wrote:
>>> Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn
>>> it on instead?

>> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to
>> afford to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot
>> days.

> That was one good thing about the military housing in NY. We had AC.
> Why? I don't know. We didn't have it on Cape Cod and it got just as
> hot there and miserably muggy.

We only had it in one military house. Subsidised housing costs but we had to
pay the full cost of utilities. I learned all about the cost of running one
the first summer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> []
>> If I could eat them, I would have cottage cheese and boiled eggs
>> during hot weather. Or stuff like tuna or chicken salad. And
>> plenty of raw vegetables.

> Ricotta, hard boiled eggs, diced celery and onion, is wonderful on
> Romaine lettuce.

That does sound nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> []Jun came home with a big box of Thai sticky
>>> rice with coconut milk. I love that stuff. She only gave me one
>>> teaspoonful! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. Who phoned her?

>> Me

> Ahah! You were one of the usual suspects!

Of course Its like having more than one wife isn't it

> When the weather is really hot I keep things like cooked frittata
>> slices and bagged salads in the fridge. Can have the frittata cold or
>> reheated slightly in the microwave and the bagged salad just needs a
>> rinse in a colander and add whatever dressing. I also keep bagged dry
>> slaw and add a bit of ranch dressing. All easy to and quick to
>> prepare for hot days. I have no air conditioning. I keep hard boiled
>> eggs in the fridge also, ready peeled.

> Are your frittatas pre-filled or do you build them when it's time to
> eat? Salad would have to be built here and the 'fridge is so full
> that I usually just give up. My daughter often makes hard boiled
> eggs. I gotta snag some.

I make frittatas at night when cooking other things and cut it into slices
and freeze. Then it is ready for when it is hot or when I am tired or too
lazy to make breakfast The salads I usually make myself but when really
hot I buy pre-bagged stuff that just needs rinsing and dressing added, also
toss in a few grape or cherry tomatoes, no need to cut them Can add
olives and pre cubed fetta as well. Same with the dry slaw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:57:14 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>> Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas
>>
>> KROM

> I've dropped bananas completely, but often eat an apple as
> two separate half-apple snacks at different times of day.

I often eat an apple while I am doing household chores, like vacuuming etc.
Only problem is I forget where I put it down sometimes Ok, all the time

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:
>
> >Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas

> I've dropped bananas completely, but often eat an apple as
> two separate half-apple snacks at different times of day.

I have about 1" of a banana a couple of times a week and a bite of an apple
about once a week. All in the afternoon or evening and not on the same day.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >>
> >> Me

> > Ahah! You were one of the usual suspects!

> Of course Its like having more than one wife isn't it

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

> > When the weather is really hot I keep things like cooked frittata
> >> slices and bagged salads in the fridge. Can have the frittata cold or
> >> reheated slightly in the microwave and the bagged salad just needs a
> >> rinse in a colander and add whatever dressing. I also keep bagged dry
> >> slaw and add a bit of ranch dressing. All easy to and quick to
> >> prepare for hot days. I have no air conditioning. I keep hard boiled
> >> eggs in the fridge also, ready peeled.

> > Are your frittatas pre-filled or do you build them when it's time to
> > eat? Salad would have to be built here and the 'fridge is so full
> > that I usually just give up. My daughter often makes hard boiled
> > eggs. I gotta snag some.

> I make frittatas at night when cooking other things and cut it into
> slices and freeze. Then it is ready for when it is hot or when I am tired
> or too lazy to make breakfast The salads I usually make myself but
> when really hot I buy pre-bagged stuff that just needs rinsing and
> dressing added, also toss in a few grape or cherry tomatoes, no need to
> cut them Can add olives and pre cubed fetta as well. Same with the
> dry slaw.

I can't even get to the stove to make my macchinetta of coffee! I'll see if
if I can get me daughter to get some of that pre-bagged salad and slaw.
Thanks for helping an old gent out. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:34:11 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:57:14 -0500, "krom"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas
>>>
>>> KROM

>> I've dropped bananas completely, but often eat an apple as
>> two separate half-apple snacks at different times of day.

>I often eat an apple while I am doing household chores, like vacuuming etc.
>Only problem is I forget where I put it down sometimes Ok, all the time

Remind me not to sit down without looking if we ever get the
opportunity to drop in again.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:32:11 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>> Are your frittatas pre-filled or do you build them when it's time to
>> eat? Salad would have to be built here and the 'fridge is so full
>> that I usually just give up. My daughter often makes hard boiled
>> eggs. I gotta snag some.

Consider this:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...salad-mix.html

I make up a batch each week and keep it sealed in the
fridge. It lasts 4-7 days. For a quick lunch on a hot day
just put some in a bowl, add tuna and mayo and maybe some
yoghurt, season, stir and eat.

For a stir-fry, toss it in some oil in the wok, fry, add
some water and whatever you want - soy, hoi-sin, oyster
sauce, whatever, a little guar gum to thicken it, simmer a
few minutes and serve. Yesterday I had it as a lunch,
stir-fried with king prawns, coconut cream, a curry paste
(home-made) and fish sauce. Delish.

For a breakfast frittata, saute some in a skillet, add some
beaten eggs when it's softened, cook and either eat then or
put it in the fridge for tomorrow.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 24 Jun 2008 08:50:00 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I can't even get to the stove to make my macchinetta of coffee! I'll see if
>if I can get me daughter to get some of that pre-bagged salad and slaw.
>Thanks for helping an old gent out. ;-)

Nick, your wife comes from a seriously hot part of the world - what do
the Thais do when it's steamy? It occurs to me that hot weather and
spicy food go together - maybe the solution is to eat something to
make you sweat...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sound a lot like when my job took me to Arizona for about 2 weeks.
While I was there, the highest temperature every day was about 115F,
and there were no comments about it being hotter than usual. It was a
dry heat, though, so going outside long enough to go to work and back
or to several local bookstores and restaurants was bearable. I don't
think I found a building with anyone in it and no air conditioner, though.

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We would die without our AC. 106F today...Saturday it was 110F...Most of
> June will be in the 100's. However we hardly ever use the furnace in the
> winter... We are all electric here. Sometimes we have cold shrimp on
> ice and a salad for dinner..or I will make a chicken pasta salad for hubby
> and chicken salad for me.
>

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Robert Miles wrote:
>>> Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
>>> on instead?

>> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
>> to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to
>>> afford to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot
>>> days.

>> That was one good thing about the military housing in NY. We had AC.
>> Why? I don't know. We didn't have it on Cape Cod and it got just as
>> hot there and miserably muggy.

> We only had it in one military house. Subsidised housing costs but we had
> to pay the full cost of utilities. I learned all about the cost of running
> one the first summer

We didn't have to pay utilities in the military housing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You must have been in Phoenix, Yuma, or the Gila Bend area Tucson usually
stays about 104 to 106...sometimes it will go higher..like 110 or 115.
When someone says ,but it's a dry heat...my son says "so is a blow
torch..what's your point " I grew up in Tucson and all we had was a"Swamp
Box"...which is basically a drum fan that blows through wet filter pads and
the cooled air goes through the venting in the house...these work well in
May and June...but when the monsoons hit and the humidity goes up they don't
work well at all. In our last house we had both AC and Swamp boxes...the
swamp boxes really save on electricity, so we used then during the dry hot
months and used the AC during the monsoons. Here we only have AC.
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sound a lot like when my job took me to Arizona for about 2 weeks.
> While I was there, the highest temperature every day was about 115F,
> and there were no comments about it being hotter than usual. It was a
> dry heat, though, so going outside long enough to go to work and back
> or to several local bookstores and restaurants was bearable. I don't
> think I found a building with anyone in it and no air conditioner, though.
>
> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We would die without our AC. 106F today...Saturday it was 110F...Most of
>> June will be in the 100's. However we hardly ever use the furnace in the
>> winter... We are all electric here. Sometimes we have cold shrimp on
>> ice and a salad for dinner..or I will make a chicken pasta salad for
>> hubby and chicken salad for me.

>>> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
>>> to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet daily
...we keep it at 80.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Robert Miles wrote:
>> > Do you often have enough problems with the a/c that you can't turn it
>> > on instead?

>> Dunno about krom but even if I did have a/c I wouldn't be able to afford
>> to run it much. But would be heaven for real stinking hot days.

> Yup. Costs me around $10 (US) a day to run mine. I just use the box fan
> when it's not _real_ hot.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It was one of the larger cities - I suspect Phoenix, but don't remember well
enough to be sure.

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> You must have been in Phoenix, Yuma, or the Gila Bend area Tucson
> usually stays about 104 to 106...sometimes it will go higher..like 110 or
> 115.
> When someone says ,but it's a dry heat...my son says "so is a blow
> torch..what's your point " I grew up in Tucson and all we had was
> a"Swamp Box"...which is basically a drum fan that blows through wet filter
> pads and the cooled air goes through the venting in the house...these work
> well in May and June...but when the monsoons hit and the humidity goes up
> they don't work well at all. In our last house we had both AC and Swamp
> boxes...the swamp boxes really save on electricity, so we used then during
> the dry hot months and used the AC during the monsoons. Here we only have
> AC.
> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Sound a lot like when my job took me to Arizona for about 2 weeks.
>> While I was there, the highest temperature every day was about 115F,
>> and there were no comments about it being hotter than usual. It was a
>> dry heat, though, so going outside long enough to go to work and back
>> or to several local bookstores and restaurants was bearable. I don't
>> think I found a building with anyone in it and no air conditioner,
>> though.
>>
>> "jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> We would die without our AC. 106F today...Saturday it was 110F...Most of
>>> June will be in the 100's. However we hardly ever use the furnace in the
>>> winter... We are all electric here. Sometimes we have cold shrimp on
>>> ice and a salad for dinner..or I will make a chicken pasta salad for
>>> hubby and chicken salad for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles said...

> It was one of the larger cities - I suspect Phoenix, but don't remember
> well enough to be sure.
>
> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> You must have been in Phoenix, Yuma, or the Gila Bend area Tucson
>> usually stays about 104 to 106...sometimes it will go higher..like 110
>> or 115.
>> When someone says ,but it's a dry heat...my son says "so is a blow
>> torch..what's your point " I grew up in Tucson and all we had was
>> a"Swamp Box"...which is basically a drum fan that blows through wet
>> filter pads and the cooled air goes through the venting in the
>> house...these work well in May and June...but when the monsoons hit and
>> the humidity goes up they don't work well at all. In our last house we
>> had both AC and Swamp boxes...the swamp boxes really save on
>> electricity, so we used then during the dry hot months and used the AC
>> during the monsoons. Here we only have AC.
>> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Sound a lot like when my job took me to Arizona for about 2 weeks.
>>> While I was there, the highest temperature every day was about 115F,
>>> and there were no comments about it being hotter than usual. It was a
>>> dry heat, though, so going outside long enough to go to work and back
>>> or to several local bookstores and restaurants was bearable. I don't
>>> think I found a building with anyone in it and no air conditioner,
>>> though.
>>>
>>> "jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> m...

Sorry to piggyback (butt-in),

I'd go for homemade cold chicken salad, a day old. Probably with garlic
hummus dip instead of mayo. And some Hass avocado and iceberg lettuce for
good measure!

On rye crispbread or pumpernickel squares.

OR a sugar-free icicle on a stick. Depending on my mood.

Andy
Not a believer in low carbs.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
[...]

We are ucky around here. Several of the "diner"/Coffee shop style
restaurants around here serve it in the summer. I sometimes go in and
have a small bowl for an afternoon snack, with extra lemon and tabasco or
a whole bowl for lunch. Great tasting,filling and low all kinds of
things.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: > : "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
: [ . . . ]
: > I am getting hungry thinking about this, but it is fairly cool here in
: > the Catskill mountains.

: Whereabouts in the Catskills, Wendy? I did a lot of mountain hiking,
: camping and hunting up there in the 50's. I remember Lake Lee (?).

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Margaretville, about 1 hour WNW of Kingston or half way beween Kingston
and Oneonta.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
> daily ..we keep it at 80.

Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I am
dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the thermostats
set at 72. I just can't imagine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:57:14 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
> >Yeah i definatly miss apples and bannanas
> >
> >KROM

> I've dropped bananas completely, but often eat an apple as
> two separate half-apple snacks at different times of day.

I'm utterly shameless. When one of my colleagues is slicing up an apple
for an afternoon snack, I regularly cadge a wedge.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
>> daily ..we keep it at 80.

> Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I am
> dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the thermostats
> set at 72. I just can't imagine.

We have a Great room with three ceiling fans in it...they really help to
circulate the cool air. When we had the house built Hubby took a pen and
paper and decided three fans would be good to get the air moving all around
the great room....so had the builders put in the wires and stuff..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
>>> daily ..we keep it at 80.

>> Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I
>> am dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the
>> thermostats set at 72. I just can't imagine.
>>

> We have a Great room with three ceiling fans in it...they really help to
> circulate the cool air. When we had the house built Hubby took a pen and
> paper and decided three fans would be good to get the air moving all
> around the great room....so had the builders put in the wires and stuff..

We have three ceiling fans in here but no cool air. Can't seem to get any
in here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> The highest mine has been is $250.00. That's cooling 2000 square feet
>>> daily ..we keep it at 80.

>> Wow! That would kill me. When it gets much above 70 in here I think I
>> am dying. My mom said when I was young it was common to keep the
>> thermostats set at 72. I just can't imagine.
>>

> We have a Great room with three ceiling fans in it...they really help to
> circulate the cool air. When we had the house built Hubby took a pen and
> paper and decided three fans would be good to get the air moving all
> around the great room....so had the builders put in the wires and stuff..

Wow, I love the thought of a Great room. My house has no insulation in the
roof, that makes the heat problem even worse and in winter most of the house
away from the large gas heater is freezing. And I live in a temperate zone.