Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default The weather was . . . . .

.. . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
(with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> . . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
> (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
> though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
> great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
> lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!
>
> Sky

It was lovely here today too, but I'm just not in the mood to grill. :-)
You taking jpegs I hope?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> .. . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
> (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
> though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
> great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
> lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!

Weather is beautiful here, too.... close to 70 degrees. I think we have
seen the last frost of the season so I got the ferns and other plants
out of the garage and gave them a good watering and feeding. Cleaned a
bunch of pine needles off the roof and started cleaning up some
flower/vegetable beds in the back yard. Then we pruned back some palms
that had a lot of damage this winter when the temps hit record lows.
I'm hoping they recover but I am not optimistic.

In a bit... I have two rib-eye steaks for the grill and we'll have
seasoned baked potato wedges and and a salad with that. The boneless
steaks were on sale for $3.99 a pound and I got some about 2 inches
thick and about 16 ounces for me (rare), and some 1 inch thick and
about 8 ounces for her (med-well). I hope they taste as good as they look!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > . . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> > chicken breasts

> It was lovely here today too, but I'm just not in the mood to grill. :-)
> You taking jpegs I hope?

Wasn't the weather today fantastic!! Such a nice day to encourage the
upcoming Spring season (for the Northern Hemisphere). Alas, I didn't
take any photos to share, not to mention the grilling is already done
:/ The chicken breasts were straight out of the package onto the grill,
bottom side down, then the raw top side was sprinkled with my favorite
rub - a flour shaker works rather well for this task, especially when
some of the holes are drilled to a larger size/aperture. Oh oh! I
forgot to mention Spouse made hamburgers patties to grill, too! The
finished products weren't anything special to write about or photograph,
other than to say the weather was grand enough to cook outside

The temperature outdoors in the bright sun definitely felt a lot warmer
than the 45F reported by a local online site. Sure beats the wicked
winter that's been around for much too long!

Sky, who hates the white stuff during winter

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

George Leppla wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > .. . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> > chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
> > (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
> > though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
> > great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
> > lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!
> >

> Weather is beautiful here, too.... close to 70 degrees. I think we have
> seen the last frost of the season so I got the ferns and other plants
> out of the garage and gave them a good watering and feeding. Cleaned a
> bunch of pine needles off the roof and started cleaning up some
> flower/vegetable beds in the back yard. Then we pruned back some palms
> that had a lot of damage this winter when the temps hit record lows.
> I'm hoping they recover but I am not optimistic.
>
> In a bit... I have two rib-eye steaks for the grill and we'll have
> seasoned baked potato wedges and and a salad with that. The boneless
> steaks were on sale for $3.99 a pound and I got some about 2 inches
> thick and about 16 ounces for me (rare), and some 1 inch thick and
> about 8 ounces for her (med-well). I hope they taste as good as they look!
>
> George L

Don't be sure and tempt Fate!!! There's usually always a late-winter
storm someplace ( Hopefully that won't happen, eh!

Ohhhh, your ribeye steaks sound divine, especially the rare one <VBG>.
Very good idea to use the thicker steak to cook rare and the
not-so-thick steak to medium-well. I bet they both get done just-right
with about the same cooking time that way ???

Sky, who knocks on wood and hopes the worst of winter is over!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > .. . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> > chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
> > (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
> > though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
> > great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
> > lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!
> >

> Weather is beautiful here, too.... close to 70 degrees. I think we have
> seen the last frost of the season so I got the ferns and other plants
> out of the garage and gave them a good watering and feeding. Cleaned a
> bunch of pine needles off the roof and started cleaning up some
> flower/vegetable beds in the back yard. Then we pruned back some palms
> that had a lot of damage this winter when the temps hit record lows.
> I'm hoping they recover but I am not optimistic.
>
> In a bit... I have two rib-eye steaks for the grill and we'll have
> seasoned baked potato wedges and and a salad with that. The boneless
> steaks were on sale for $3.99 a pound and I got some about 2 inches
> thick and about 16 ounces for me (rare), and some 1 inch thick and
> about 8 ounces for her (med-well). I hope they taste as good as they look!
>
> George L

Be sure to report! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:54:22 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

> . . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
> (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
> though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
> great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
> lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!

I remember those days when I lived in Michigan. It didn't matter if
there was two feet of snow on the ground, if the sun was out and it
was "mild" - I was out walking around in my bermuda shorts soaking up
the rays.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > Sky > wrote:
> >
> > > . . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> > > chicken breasts

> > It was lovely here today too, but I'm just not in the mood to grill. :-)
> > You taking jpegs I hope?

> Wasn't the weather today fantastic!! Such a nice day to encourage the
> upcoming Spring season (for the Northern Hemisphere). Alas, I didn't
> take any photos to share, not to mention the grilling is already done
> :/ The chicken breasts were straight out of the package onto the grill,
> bottom side down, then the raw top side was sprinkled with my favorite
> rub - a flour shaker works rather well for this task, especially when
> some of the holes are drilled to a larger size/aperture. Oh oh! I
> forgot to mention Spouse made hamburgers patties to grill, too! The
> finished products weren't anything special to write about or photograph,
> other than to say the weather was grand enough to cook outside
>
> The temperature outdoors in the bright sun definitely felt a lot warmer
> than the 45F reported by a local online site. Sure beats the wicked
> winter that's been around for much too long!
>
> Sky, who hates the white stuff during winter

I don't have to put up with the white stuff in south central Texas
either. <g> Your description worked in place of pics, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:54:22 -0600, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> > . . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> > chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken breasts
> > (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies are clear even
> > though the temperature is deceivingly warm (currently at 45F), it's
> > great to get outside and not need a winter coat Definitely seems a
> > lot warmer than the gauge indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!
> >

> I remember those days when I lived in Michigan. It didn't matter if
> there was two feet of snow on the ground, if the sun was out and it
> was "mild" - I was out walking around in my bermuda shorts soaking up
> the rays.

This was definitely that sort of late-winter day It seemed and felt
a lot warmer than it truly was - such a grand day, too!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> >Sky wrote:
> >> .. . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> >> chicken breasts

> Still...I am getting spring fever, so it might be salmon and asparagus
> for me this weekend. And tomorrow, I am heading to one of the
> glorious farmers markets around here, to see what other spring produce
> I can find to round things out.

And I'm envious, too! No farmers' markets in my neck of the woods until
Mother's Day weekend at the earliest, if even that! The salmon & 'green
stuff' (cough cough - giggle) sounds really good! Especially the latter
(not!) since it's in season now, eh?! I understand truly fresh
asparagus is really good stuff :P~~~ At least I usually know how to cook
it!!!! ;D

Sky, what green stuff????

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Sky, who hates the white stuff during winter

Winter is when it's supposed to be; I hate it in late March.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Sky, who hates the white stuff during winter

> Winter is when it's supposed to be; I hate it in late March.

Agreed. Tends to kill the new Tomato vines. :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sky > wrote:
>>
>>> Sky, who hates the white stuff during winter

>> Winter is when it's supposed to be; I hate it in late March.

> Agreed. Tends to kill the new Tomato vines. :-(

Have look at Central Queensland Au
rivers are peaking 17 metres above normal in a flood ( that's over 50ft)

looks like the drought might be over for a few months though
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...ab10 70eb158a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
atec 77 <"atec 77 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> Winter is when it's supposed to be; I hate it in late March.

> > Agreed. Tends to kill the new Tomato vines. :-(

> Have look at Central Queensland Au
> rivers are peaking 17 metres above normal in a flood ( that's over 50ft)
>
> looks like the drought might be over for a few months though
> http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...G=Google+ Sea
> rch&meta=&aq=f&oq=qld+flood+pictures&fp=feeab1070e b158a

Yah! Pretty much the same in Texas. I just pulled up a bunch of wild
spring onions as they are fixin' to bloom and will lose their flavor.
They are much larger than normal this year due to all the lovely winter
rain!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
atec 77 <"atec 77 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Agreed. Tends to kill the new Tomato vines. :-(

> Have look at Central Queensland Au
> rivers are peaking 17 metres above normal in a flood ( that's over 50ft)

My state will be looking at that within a couple months.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Bean soup with sausage and kale, 3-1-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:

> On Fri 05 Mar 2010 03:54:22p, Sky wrote in rec.food.cooking
> >:
>
> > . . . . so perfect, Spouse and I just had to charcoal grill some
> > chicken breasts Scored a buy at $1.09/lb for the chicken
> > breasts (with bones & skins). The sun is bright and the skies
> > are clear even though the temperature is deceivingly warm
> > (currently at 45F), it's great to get outside and not need a
> > winter coat Definitely seems a lot warmer than the gauge
> > indicates. More chicken salad soon to come!
> >

> Spring is just around the corner. I really want to grill. Sad fact
> is that the last month or so I haven't really been able to eat solid
> food without a lot of pain. My braces (wires) have shifted and one
> side sticks in my cheek, and the other side sticks in my tongue.
> I've used wax but food disolves it and the wires poke through. I go
> back to ortho on Monday so tonight I've pulled out the top wires
> completely.
>
> Good part is that living on just soup has resulted in a drop of 10
> pounds.

Well that sucks! I hope the appt. goes well!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> Spring is just around the corner. I really want to grill. Sad fact
> is that the last month or so I haven't really been able to eat solid
> food without a lot of pain. My braces (wires) have shifted and one
> side sticks in my cheek, and the other side sticks in my tongue.
> I've used wax but food disolves it and the wires poke through. I go
> back to ortho on Monday so tonight I've pulled out the top wires
> completely.
>
> Good part is that living on just soup has resulted in a drop of 10
> pounds.

Congrats on losing 10 pounds, but if this happens again, I would call
the office and ask them to make an adjustment. You should not have to
suffer like this. :-( Talk to them about it when you have your
appointment Monday. Best of luck to you.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 11:55*pm, atec 77 <"atec 77 > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> Winter is when it's supposed to be; I hate it in late March.

> > Agreed. Tends to kill the new Tomato vines. :-(

> Have look at Central Queensland Au
> * rivers are peaking 17 metres above normal in a flood ( that's over 50ft)
>
> * looks like the drought might be over for a few months though http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...ictures&btnG=G...

No here in WA. Perth has had no rain for over 100 days.

Nice weather today though, 31C.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Golden One wrote:
> On Mar 6, 11:55 pm, atec 77<"atec 77 > wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> In article
>>> Agreed. Tends to kill the new Tomato vines. :-(

>> Have look at Central Queensland Au
>> rivers are peaking 17 metres above normal in a flood ( that's over 50ft)
>>
>> looks like the drought might be over for a few months though http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...ictures&btnG=G...

> No here in WA. Perth has had no rain for over 100 days.
>
> Nice weather today though, 31C.

31C is too hot IMO... although tolerable with low humidity

We had our first frost on the last day of February... the tomatoes and
cucurbits got knocked around a fair bit.
Since then - plenty of rain and has warmed up to around the low 20s.

Another month and we'll be swimming in apples and pears... it's been a
good season and all the trees around the area are heavily loaded with
fruit (as were the Damsons - made a nice sauce from those - went great
with some duck).
Really looking forward to this as I'm all set up to make Cider and
Perry. Have more than enough Ales, Lagers, Porters and Stouts in the
bottle - currently making my first Ginger Beer - then onto the Cider and
Perry.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw