Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot Weather Meals

Two days ago we were cruising along happily with temps just edging
into the low 70's. Perfect gardening weather. Now, just in time for
the 4th, Mother Nature has gone all summery on Oregon and we're
looking at muggy 90's. Definitely time to shift gears in the
kitchen.

Just tossed together one of my stand-by summer dinners - ingredients
below. Would like to hear meals the rest of you fall back on when the
weather heats up.

Nancy T

"Whatever's on Hand Pasta Salad"

To cooked & cooled (to room temperature) Orzo add:

Roughly chopped:
Kalmata Olives (pitted)
Roasted Red Peppers (thank you Trader Joe)
Italian Parsley (lots)
Canned Artichoke Hearts (in water)
Leftover grilled chicken thighs (also good with shrimp)

Finely diced red onion
Finely grated peel of a lemon

Plenty of crumbled Feta Cheese

Generous twists of freshly ground pepper

Toss to mix thoroughly with a simple dressing of olive oil & lemon
juice.

Chill for several hours - add a nice handful of ripe, red cherry
tomatoes and toss again just before serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Two days ago we were cruising along happily with temps just edging
> into the low 70's. Perfect gardening weather. Now, just in time for
> the 4th, Mother Nature has gone all summery on Oregon and we're
> looking at muggy 90's. Definitely time to shift gears in the
> kitchen.
>
> Just tossed together one of my stand-by summer dinners - ingredients
> below. Would like to hear meals the rest of you fall back on when the
> weather heats up.
>
> Nancy T
>
> "Whatever's on Hand Pasta Salad"
>
> To cooked & cooled (to room temperature) Orzo add:
>
> Roughly chopped:
> Kalmata Olives (pitted)
> Roasted Red Peppers (thank you Trader Joe)
> Italian Parsley (lots)
> Canned Artichoke Hearts (in water)
> Leftover grilled chicken thighs (also good with shrimp)
>
> Finely diced red onion
> Finely grated peel of a lemon
>
> Plenty of crumbled Feta Cheese
>
> Generous twists of freshly ground pepper
>
> Toss to mix thoroughly with a simple dressing of olive oil & lemon
> juice.
>
> Chill for several hours - add a nice handful of ripe, red cherry
> tomatoes and toss again just before serving.

Oooo, very nice! I saved this to my recipe file and will make i for
my company this week. It will be in the '90s. Thank you.