Cooking Equipment (rec.food.equipment) Discussion of food-related equipment. Includes items used in food preparation and storage, including major and minor appliances, gadgets and utensils, infrastructure, and food- and recipe-related software.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

Hi, all.

I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
broken due to a minor accident.

Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
physically replace the glass.

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-intrepid


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35
Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

MY buddy dropped a hammer through one and we researched fixing it.
The cooktop is a factory sealed unit so the whole thing get's replaced.
As a result we replaced the entire range for about $150 more than the
repair would have cost.
Now when he remodels kitchens he plywoods over the tops!
wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
broken due to a minor accident.

Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
physically replace the glass.

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-intrepid


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-09-2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

All:

After I posted this, I discovered that the glass is captured onto the
unit via the top trim strip, which itself is secured to the sides of
the unit via a series of simple screws. I removed the screws, lifted
off the trim strip, and removed the broken pieces with no difficulty.
It is not sealed or glued in place; it merely rests atop the cooktop
box.

It turns out there was another entire shard of glass that had broken
through which was invisible until I started removing the pieces.

I did contemplate replacing the unit with a conventional cooktop, but
scheduling an installer for the electrical hookup is going to be more
of a hassle than it's worth (plus an extra hundred bucks apparently). I
can replace the glass myself in five minutes, so I plan to order the
replacement glass later today.

Thanks,
intrepid

Dave Bugg wrote:
wrote:

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.


The whole top is replaced, not just the glass. Mine has developed cracks
throughout the whole top; I've been ignoring it and will replace the whole
unit when it no longer functions.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-09-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

All:

Don't know if anyone is even keeping up with this, but just in case....

I was able to order the replacement glass from Whirlpool, and installed
it as predicted in about 10 minutes. The stove is back in operation and
working perfectly.

-intrepid


wrote:
All:

After I posted this, I discovered that the glass is captured onto the
unit via the top trim strip, which itself is secured to the sides of
the unit via a series of simple screws. I removed the screws, lifted
off the trim strip, and removed the broken pieces with no difficulty.
It is not sealed or glued in place; it merely rests atop the cooktop
box.

It turns out there was another entire shard of glass that had broken
through which was invisible until I started removing the pieces.

I did contemplate replacing the unit with a conventional cooktop, but
scheduling an installer for the electrical hookup is going to be more
of a hassle than it's worth (plus an extra hundred bucks apparently). I
can replace the glass myself in five minutes, so I plan to order the
replacement glass later today.

Thanks,
intrepid

Dave Bugg wrote:
wrote:

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.


The whole top is replaced, not just the glass. Mine has developed cracks
throughout the whole top; I've been ignoring it and will replace the whole
unit when it no longer functions.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

Sounds great but how much was the replacement glass?

Dave Bugg wrote:
wrote:

All:

Don't know if anyone is even keeping up with this, but just in
case....

I was able to order the replacement glass from Whirlpool, and
installed
it as predicted in about 10 minutes. The stove is back in operation
and working perfectly.



Good job. Glad it worked out so well.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to clean up broken glass in a dish-washer [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 07-08-2019 07:14 PM
An analysis of the short and intermediate range order in several organic glass-formin sunnygirl General 0 01-11-2009 09:13 AM
How flat does cookware need to be for a smoothtop range? Ted Goldblatt Cooking Equipment 3 02-11-2004 12:52 AM
Thermador SMW272 Broken Door Glass Dan Cooking Equipment 10 16-07-2004 03:56 PM
Smoothtop questions Mark Matson Cooking Equipment 29 28-12-2003 03:22 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017