Old 16-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Default How to clean up broken glass in a dish-washer

Hi all,

Last night after I had finished loading dirty glasses and dishes to my
Whirlpool dishwasher, I closed the dishwasher door and heard glass
breaking sound. I opened the door and realized that a small glass was
broken inside the dishwasher. I tried my best to pick up most broken
glass pieces inside the dishwasher. However, it's really hard because
some of those broken pieces were very tiny and they looked like water
drop inside the dishwasher. I then ran two full cycles of dishwashing
in an attempt to rinse all those broken pieces out from dishwasher.

Still, I'm a bit worried if there are still any remanining pieces of
broken glasses inside the dishwasher. Even though the remaining pieces
may be small , the result will be very bad if any of them got into the
dish or cup in the future.

What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have
been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestion
Dom

Old 16-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If your Whirlpool is like my Kitchen Aid (probably exactly the same motor),
take out the bottom rack. You should be able to remove the bottom wash arm
by unscrewing a nut on the top of the arm. You can lift it out, and then
there should be a removable rubber strainer that encircles the wash arm.
Remove that. You should be able to use a shop vac to suck up any broken
glass. The solid waste disposal in the dishwasher will probably just grind
up the bit you miss and pump them away.

Old 16-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have
been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

Vacuum cleaner. be sure it is dry inside so nothing sticks.

Old 16-03-2005, 10:08 PM

On 16 Mar 2005 09:25:36 -0800, someone wrote:

....Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

What would the professional technician do???

Open door.

Leave open overnight so inside is dry.

Remove dishes so there is room to work.

Dump out the screen around the drain, and vacuum the bottom of the
dishwasher.

If you were nearby, I'd come over and do the vacuuming part for say
$100 so that you could feel it was done professionally, that is, for a
fee. Heck, I'd even remove the dishes.

You are not the first person who has broken a glass inside a
dishwasher. Happens all the time.

If you broke one in the sink, would you get a professional for that
too!

Old 16-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Tracey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have

been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

Try turning off all the lights in the room (at night) and looking inside
with a flashlight. Any glass specks should show up quickly in the light of
the flashlight. You can then just wipe the whole inside (after you take the
racks out) with a wet paper towel. I think that would get all of them out.

Old 17-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Gonz

wrote
Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

No, you can do this job yourself. You will need a helping hand (neighbor,
friend etc) and flashlight. First empty the dishwasher. Remove racks.
Make sure the heat dry is in the off position. Climb in with your
flashlight. Have your friendly neighbor latch the door and hit the pan or
extra cycle button. After 2hrs, you won't give a rat's behind about the
glass.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

replying to domtam, Carla wrote:
hi This just happened to me this morning. First of all I swore and then swore
some more. The i got busy picking out all of the large pieces and them all
the medium and small pieces. When i couldn't get any more of the pieces out,
I took paper towel and soaked up all of the water. A lot of the smaller
pieces i couldn't pick up without cutting myself came up with the water on the
paper towel. when the inside of the dishwasher was dry, I then went to the
store and bought 3 cans of the pillsbury biscuits that need to be baked
(generic version). I open up the can and flattened out one biscuit and then
just patted the inside of the dishwasher to pick up any remaining shards of
glass. And repeat and repeat until all glass shards are gone. Please keep in
mind that you should dry the inside of the dishwasher with paper towel as much
a possible beforehand. I took the bottom rack out and then i took out the
little mesh basket that catches all the crud, and dried that out with paper
towel and then used a biscuit to get any remaining shard of glass out of that.

What a nightmare- but it worked. I didn't want to spend $50 on a shop vac.
this cost me about $6 for the paper towels which i already had and the
biscuits.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-598387-.htm