Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

wrote:
> MY buddy dropped a hammer through one and we researched fixing it.
> The cooktop is a factory sealed unit so the whole thing get's replaced.
> As a result we replaced the entire range for about $150 more than the
> repair would have cost.
> Now when he remodels kitchens he plywoods over the tops!

A friend of mine bought one of these for his part time vacation home
which he also rents out. It was only a few months old when some
renters put a nice big chip/crack in it. He didn't notice it until he
had returned their securtiy deposit.

I checked into the price of a replacement and it was ~$300. The whole
range only cost like $375. So, from a practical standpoint, he's
learned to live with it.

In looking at the online drawings, I came to the same conclusion as
Bamboo. It looked like the glass was part of the the whole top
assembly and it gets replaced as one.