Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
phyteach
 
Posts: n/a
Default Char-Broil Smoker

Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?

Scott

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Duwop
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"phyteach" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
> horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
> square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
> have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
> the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
> you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
> heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
>
> Scott


Shit, for a second there I thought you were kiddin cuz I thought Chargriller
bought out New Braunfels, but nope, those "Char-Broil" offsets sure look to
be the old New Braunfels units and the names are the same too.

http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/index.asp

New Braunfels were considered pretty decent quality for the price and were
pretty much the mass market strandard.

Me, I'd get the CharGriller Grill and order the side firebox from the
factory (used to be carried by Home Depot too) , then you have a smoker and
a grill in one unit for about the same price. My chargriller has a depth of
20", which is real nice to have, takes a bit more fuel though.





  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dana H. Myers
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Duwop wrote:

> Shit, for a second there I thought you were kiddin cuz I thought Chargriller
> bought out New Braunfels, but nope, those "Char-Broil" offsets sure look to
> be the old New Braunfels units and the names are the same too.
>
> http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/index.asp
>
> New Braunfels were considered pretty decent quality for the price and were
> pretty much the mass market strandard.


The Char-Broil items at my Home Depot are indeed the old NB
items; they had some old stock with New Braunfels on the boxes
and new stock with Char-Broil on the boxes at one time.

In fact, my NBS is actually a Char-Broil Silver Smoker, but NBS
rolls off a lot easier than CBSS :-)

Dana
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
jeff bennett
 
Posts: n/a
Default

phyteach wrote:
> Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
> horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
> square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
> have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
> the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
> you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
> heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
>
> Scott
>

Buy a WSM!!!!!
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Duwop
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"jeff bennett" > wrote in message
> >

> Buy a WSM!!!!!


Blow it out your vertical pipe.





  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default


jeff bennett wrote:
> phyteach wrote:
> > Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset

firebox
> > horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800

(IIRC)
> > square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that.

Anybody
> > have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door

to
> > the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door

that
> > you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> > surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a

fairly
> > heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> Buy a WSM!!!!!


Or be like me and get both.

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Brick
 
Posts: n/a
Default


On 15-Feb-2005, "phyteach" > wrote:

> Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
> horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
> square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
> have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
> the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
> you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
> heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
>
> Scott


Scott, you didn't mention what model name from Char-Broil is on the
cooker. I suspect it is the Char-Broil Silver which by design is exactly
like my New Braunfels Silver. (Char-Broil bought out New Braunfels)
There should be no (zero) gap around the firebox door or lid. When
you shut that cooker down it should seal up pretty good and snuff
the fire in short order. Mine does. Your comment about the vertical
side baffles me. Mine is two horizontal tanks, a larger one for the
cook chamber and a smaller one for the fire chamber. New Braunfels
used to make a 'Bandera' model that featured a vertical smoke
chamber on the opposite end from the firebox with a horizontal
cook chamber in the middle. The Char-Broil website shows only
three smokers. All are horizontal only with a firebox on the left end.


Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
phyteach
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Brick wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2005, "phyteach" > wrote:
>

SNIP my OP
>
> Scott, you didn't mention what model name from Char-Broil is on the
> cooker. I suspect it is the Char-Broil Silver which by design is

exactly
> like my New Braunfels Silver. (Char-Broil bought out New Braunfels)
> There should be no (zero) gap around the firebox door or lid. When
> you shut that cooker down it should seal up pretty good and snuff
> the fire in short order. Mine does. Your comment about the vertical
> side baffles me. Mine is two horizontal tanks, a larger one for the
> cook chamber and a smaller one for the fire chamber. New Braunfels
> used to make a 'Bandera' model that featured a vertical smoke
> chamber on the opposite end from the firebox with a horizontal
> cook chamber in the middle. The Char-Broil website shows only
> three smokers. All are horizontal only with a firebox on the left

end.
>
>
> Brick (Keep the shiny side up)
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet

News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=----

Brick,

Thanks for the response to you and all others here. By vertical
side, I was refering to the extreme left end of the smoker. It is the
side that has the door with the adjustable vent on it. It (and it's
larger cousin at the far right side...) are the only two sides that go
straight up and down, vice curved. The gaps could be b/c it's the
floor model, or the Q/A at char isn't as good as NB. It was indeed the
silver, and any comments you have about it's operation are indeed
welcome. What I am most interested in is things like fuel consumption
rate, how often do you have to tend the fire, did you make the mods
suggested in the FAQ and if so any hints, was it worth it etc. It
looked like a great unit, and even if there are gaps around the
vent/door, those are probably fairly easily fixed. Also, do you grill
on yours? It looks as though it would also make a great grill.
I have thought about the WSM, but the 18" diameter is just too darn
small. I can just fit a brisket on my 22.5" Weber kettle. mmmmmmmm
briskety goodness....

Scott

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Piedmont
 
Posts: n/a
Default

phyteach wrote:
> Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
> horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
> square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
> have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
> the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
> you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
> heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
>
> Scott
>

Run, get a WSM!

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!





  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Piedmont
 
Posts: n/a
Default

phyteach wrote:
> Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
> horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
> square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
> have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
> the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
> you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
> heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
>
> Scott
>

Run, get a WSM!

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!







  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
phyteach
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Piedmont wrote:
> phyteach wrote:
> > Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset

firebox
> > horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800

(IIRC)
> > square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that.

Anybody
> > have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door

to
> > the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door

that
> > you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> > surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a

fairly
> > heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> Run, get a WSM!
>
> --
> Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
> "The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>
> Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
> Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/
>
> If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
> checked for radiation levels!


Mike,

My only concern with the WSM is that I don't think I can fit a
brisket. The NBS (nee char-broil as someone else put it, Brick
perhaps...) will fit lots o' meat. Since I do a bit of entertaining.
capacity is somewhat important. It will also double as a large grill,
which I also do quite a lot of. If I can get 6 hours without a lot of
fuss, then I am way ahead of where I am now at 4 hours and 40 minute
adjustments to the Weber kettle. I do admit that the 12 hours of
smoking time that the WSM provides is enticing...

Regards,
Scott

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Duwop
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"phyteach" > wrote in message
>
> Piedmont wrote:
> Mike,
>
> My only concern with the WSM is that I don't think I can fit a
> brisket. The NBS (nee char-broil as someone else put it, Brick
> perhaps...) will fit lots o' meat. Since I do a bit of entertaining.


You might not like the results of what they cook either. I wasn't pleased
with the vert I had, sure most like it fine, but......

There's so many users of WSM they sometimes make it seem like there aint
nothing else worthwhile, which obviously (well should be obvious) is
bullcrap.

D
--




  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Duwop
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
...
> Duwop wrote:
> snip
> > There's so many users of WSM they sometimes make it seem like there aint
> > nothing else worthwhile, which obviously (well should be obvious) is
> > bullcrap.
> >
> > D

>
> All cookers can yield great results IMHO,


Your opinion, thank you. You are in the majority in regards to the WSM, but
there are those that differ, thanks.

>
> Many personal factors to consider my friend.


Did anyone say differently?

> Time and ease are primary factors


Says who? Oh yeah, you. Mine is flavor and texture.

>and that is for sure a personal
> decision one has to weigh.


Exactly

>If you have the time and love to tinker, go
> with the NBBD types if you don't, then go for a WSM type cooker.


And if you don't like the results of verts too, don't forget that one.

I respect your opinion Mike, hell I respect every man woman and child that
likes WSM so much that you don't find me opining about offsets in a WSM
thread either or telling someone he should get an offset when he's stated
interest in a WSM. How's that for respect?

How much respect you got? Don't talk about it, show it.


D(amn!)
--




  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dana H. Myers
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Piedmont wrote:

> Scott, It sounds like you thought about it. My perspective is from
> having already owed an NB cooker and all the messing I had to do.
> Modifications and such to make it work somewhat decent, wool blankets to
> cover it in the winter, silicon the doors, baffle the opening between
> the firebox and cooking chamber, add bricks, on and on and on.


I turned the fire grates around to elevate the base of the fire.
I stuffed a pie tin into the firebox opening as a baffle.
I extended the chimney to the grate with a piece of aluminum duct.
Total time spent modifying was under 30 minutes and under $2.

I'm getting consistent results without trouble. I think you
might have tried too hard :-)

Cheers,
Dana
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Piedmont
 
Posts: n/a
Default

phyteach wrote:
snip
> Mike,
>
> My only concern with the WSM is that I don't think I can fit a
> brisket. The NBS (nee char-broil as someone else put it, Brick
> perhaps...) will fit lots o' meat. Since I do a bit of entertaining.
> capacity is somewhat important. It will also double as a large grill,
> which I also do quite a lot of. If I can get 6 hours without a lot of
> fuss, then I am way ahead of where I am now at 4 hours and 40 minute
> adjustments to the Weber kettle. I do admit that the 12 hours of
> smoking time that the WSM provides is enticing...
>
> Regards,
> Scott
>


Scott, It sounds like you thought about it. My perspective is from
having already owed an NB cooker and all the messing I had to do.
Modifications and such to make it work somewhat decent, wool blankets to
cover it in the winter, silicon the doors, baffle the opening between
the firebox and cooking chamber, add bricks, on and on and on.

I'm positve a WSM will fit in at least 1 brisket. Did you thoroughly
review the Virtual Weber website to see what a WSM can do as far as
capacity. I know that it seems that a lot of folks like to "prove"
themselves as I did on doing "low N slow" techniques but eventually get
to a point where a nice, reliable and long cooking, self sustaining
cooker is a dream come true. Especially if you cook once or twice a
month, year round.

Regards;
--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!







  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Piedmont
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Duwop wrote:
snip
> There's so many users of WSM they sometimes make it seem like there aint
> nothing else worthwhile, which obviously (well should be obvious) is
> bullcrap.
>
> D


All cookers can yield great results IMHO, it just the amount of time
that you have available to maintain a brisket for 10 to 12 hours. And if
you cook regularly or not. If your retired or still hard at it.

Many personal factors to consider my friend. I've cooked and enjoyed the
learning process of bullet smokers, kettles, NBBD's, Vetical's, homemade
55 gallon drums, converted commercial freezer, pellet cooker, blocks set
on the ground.

Time and ease are primary factors and that is for sure a personal
decision one has to weigh. If you have the time and love to tinker, go
with the NBBD types if you don't, then go for a WSM type cooker.

Regards,
--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!





  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Dana H. Myers wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
>
> > Scott, It sounds like you thought about it. My perspective is from
> > having already owed an NB cooker and all the messing I had to do.
> > Modifications and such to make it work somewhat decent, wool

blankets to
> > cover it in the winter, silicon the doors, baffle the opening

between
> > the firebox and cooking chamber, add bricks, on and on and on.

>
> I turned the fire grates around to elevate the base of the fire.
> I stuffed a pie tin into the firebox opening as a baffle.
> I extended the chimney to the grate with a piece of aluminum duct.
> Total time spent modifying was under 30 minutes and under $2.
>
> I'm getting consistent results without trouble. I think you
> might have tried too hard :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Dana


Sounds like it. I haven't done any of that stuff and I get great
results
my only complaint is the lack of fuel effiecency.

  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Pakehaole
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"phyteach" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Saw something new at Home Despot (;-)) today. It is an offset firebox
> horizontal smoker from char-broil for 150 bucks. It has ~800 (IIRC)
> square inches of cook surface, dampers, grates and all that. Anybody
> have any experience with this unit? I also noticed that the door to
> the firebox has 1/16 gap all the way around. That is, the door that
> you would add more wood, on the vertical side away from the food
> surface. Is this a bad sign? The unit appears to be made of a fairly
> heavy gauge steel. Any thoughts?
>
> Scott


I've had one of these for several months now; previously owned a 22"
Weber kettle. I've found this smoker to be much less efficient than the
Weber and have had very mixed results. Admittedly, I may not be using
the thing properly; I've tried using charcoal in the fire chamber with
wood chunk for the smoke, much as I did with the Weber. The fire needs
to be much hotter in the fire chamber to combat the heat loss from the
greater surface area of the two chambers (obviously the near-spherical
shape of the Weber has a much lower SA to volume ratio than the
cylindrical CharBroil). It can hold a greater volume of meat, like a
whole suckling pig, which is why I got it but have yet to utilize its
full capacity. I undoubted would get better results using all wood for
the fire; I just haven't located a good source of clean hardwood in my
area yet.

pakehaole

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM
Char Broil Silver Smoker phyteach Barbecue 17 14-04-2005 01:43 AM
Char Broil Silver Smoker phyteach Barbecue 0 12-04-2005 03:43 AM
Char Broil Electric Smoker Dimitri Barbecue 1 14-12-2004 07:26 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"