Barbecue (alt.food.barbecue) Discuss barbecue and grilling--southern style "low and slow" smoking of ribs, shoulders and briskets, as well as direct heat grilling of everything from burgers to salmon to vegetables.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Mr. Wizard
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.
After smoking a couple of chickens last night I woke up
a 2:30 with my forearms and hands blistered so badly
the skin was weeping. My neck and cheeks were covered also.
I used hickory from a new batch but since it has happened
before with different types of wood I don't think the type
of wood is the problem.

Any clues?



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 07:30 PM
DArbabi
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with your
wood.

Poison sumac may have this affect also.

Darius
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Jack Curry
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.


"DArbabi" wrote in message
...
Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with your
wood.

Poison sumac may have this affect also.

Darius

That would also be my guess. Do the blisters itch? If I were you I'd hie
myself off to a Dr. and ask for a Medrol Pack, which will clear poison ivy
up in a few days. I learned this through first-hand experience when my
forearm swelled to the size of a football after an ivy encounter.

Jack Curry


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 08:38 PM
WiScottsin
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.


"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
. com...
Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.
After smoking a couple of chickens last night I woke up
a 2:30 with my forearms and hands blistered so badly
the skin was weeping. My neck and cheeks were covered also.
I used hickory from a new batch but since it has happened
before with different types of wood I don't think the type
of wood is the problem.

Any clues?


I wouldn't worry about it, probably just the passing of the seasons.
Weeping blisters all over your body should never be a source of concern.

If you are actually serious, I certainly hope you asked your doctor before a
bunch of anonymous people on the internet.


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Charles Demas
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

In article ,
wrote:
"Jack Curry" Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com wrote:
"DArbabi" wrote in message
...
Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with
your wood.

Poison sumac may have this affect also.

Darius

That would also be my guess. Do the blisters itch? If I were you I'd
hie myself off to a Dr. and ask for a Medrol Pack, which will clear
poison ivy up in a few days. I learned this through first-hand
experience when my forearm swelled to the size of a football after an ivy
encounter.

When I was around ten, my friend, Jimmy, figgered he would make himself
immune to poison ivy by eating the leaves. His tongue swelled up to the
size of football and his throat constricted to the size of a drinking
straw. Somehow, he made it through. I don't think he drank Calamine Lotion
to cure it. One experiment at a time.


Sounds like he came close to winning a Darwin Award nomination.

I knew of a girl that seemed to be immune to poisen ivy.
She could roll around in the stuff I'm told. It was a
specific girl living on our street, so I don't think it
was an urban legend.


Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 10:22 PM
BOB
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

DArbabi wrote:
Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with your
wood.

Poison sumac may have this affect also.

Darius


Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.

BOB
and it doesn't take much af any of them


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-04-2004, 10:42 PM
frohe
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

BOB wrote:
Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.


Had a friend die from cuttin down a bunch of oleander. Was told to wear
protection but swore up & down it wouldn't bother him. Hard was to learn a
lesson.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Edwin Pawlowski
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.



--
"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
. com...
Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.



Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Mr. Wizard
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.


"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
...


--
"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
. com...
Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.



Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.

No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
the last few months with different types of wood.




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-04-2004, 01:55 AM
mtbchip
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

On 4/18/04 4:33 PM, in article
, "Mr. Wizard"
wrote:


"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
...


--
"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
. com...
Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.



Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.

No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
the last few months with different types of wood.

NO MORE BBQ FOR YOU...........soup only!!!!

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-04-2004, 02:00 AM
WiScottsin
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.


"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
om...

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
...


--
"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
. com...
Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.



Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.

No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
the last few months with different types of wood.

A few months?? Have you been to see a physician?


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Tex_Mexican
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.


"WiScottsin" wrote in message
...

"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
om...

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
...


--
"Mr. Wizard" wrote in message
. com...
Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.


Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for

removing
it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.

No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
the last few months with different types of wood.

A few months?? Have you been to see a physician?

I'll go tomorrow. It hasn't been bad enough to present
any real problem till now. It was only a few tiny blisters.
Now it's over the top.


  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-04-2004, 05:16 AM
Nathan Lau
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

frohe wrote:

BOB wrote:

Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.


Had a friend die from cuttin down a bunch of oleander. Was told to wear
protection but swore up & down it wouldn't bother him. Hard was to learn a
lesson.


Dang, my neighbor just cut down all his oleander. I hope he's okay.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include std.disclaimer
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any experienced bloggers? [email protected] Tea 0 20-08-2006 04:12 PM
I am not an experienced cook. onket Baking 10 02-04-2006 08:58 AM
Do the experienced ones here still use exact measures? [email protected] Baking 1 11-01-2006 07:57 PM
Are You Absinthe Experienced? a salasky General 1 02-06-2005 08:57 PM
Seeking Some Advice from the Experienced Lindy Preserving 8 30-10-2003 04:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017