Mr. Wizard

Default Help! Has anyone else experienced this.

Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.
After smoking a couple of chickens last night I woke up
a 2:30 with my forearms and hands blistered so badly
the skin was weeping. My neck and cheeks were covered also.
I used hickory from a new batch but since it has happened
before with different types of wood I don't think the type
of wood is the problem.

Any clues?

DArbabi

Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with your
wood.

Poison sumac may have this affect also.

Darius
Jack Curry

"DArbabi" > wrote in message
> Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with your
> wood.
>
> Poison sumac may have this affect also.
>
> Darius

That would also be my guess. Do the blisters itch? If I were you I'd hie
myself off to a Dr. and ask for a Medrol Pack, which will clear poison ivy
up in a few days. I learned this through first-hand experience when my
forearm swelled to the size of a football after an ivy encounter.

Jack Curry

WiScottsin

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
. com...
> Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
> cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
> neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.
> After smoking a couple of chickens last night I woke up
> a 2:30 with my forearms and hands blistered so badly
> the skin was weeping. My neck and cheeks were covered also.
> I used hickory from a new batch but since it has happened
> before with different types of wood I don't think the type
> of wood is the problem.
>
> Any clues?

I wouldn't worry about it, probably just the passing of the seasons.
Weeping blisters all over your body should never be a source of concern.

If you are actually serious, I certainly hope you asked your doctor before a
bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

Charles Demas

In article >,
> wrote:
>"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> "DArbabi" > wrote in message
>> > Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with
>> > your wood.
>> >
>> > Poison sumac may have this affect also.
>> >
>> > Darius
>> >

>> That would also be my guess. Do the blisters itch? If I were you I'd
>> hie myself off to a Dr. and ask for a Medrol Pack, which will clear
>> poison ivy up in a few days. I learned this through first-hand
>> experience when my forearm swelled to the size of a football after an ivy
>> encounter.
>>

>When I was around ten, my friend, Jimmy, figgered he would make himself
>immune to poison ivy by eating the leaves. His tongue swelled up to the
>size of football and his throat constricted to the size of a drinking
>straw. Somehow, he made it through. I don't think he drank Calamine Lotion
>to cure it. One experiment at a time.

Sounds like he came close to winning a Darwin Award nomination.

I knew of a girl that seemed to be immune to poisen ivy.
She could roll around in the stuff I'm told. It was a
specific girl living on our street, so I don't think it
was an urban legend.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

BOB

DArbabi wrote:
> Could be you inadvertently had some poison ivy vines mixed in with your
> wood.
>
> Poison sumac may have this affect also.
>
> Darius

Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.

BOB
and it doesn't take much af any of them

frohe

BOB wrote:
> Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.

Had a friend die from cuttin down a bunch of oleander. Was told to wear
protection but swore up & down it wouldn't bother him. Hard was to learn a
lesson.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Edwin Pawlowski

--
"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
. com...
> Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
> cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
> neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.

Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Mr. Wizard

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
> > cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
> > neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.

> Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
> it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.

No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
the last few months with different types of wood.

mtbchip

On 4/18/04 4:33 PM, in article
, "Mr. Wizard"
> wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>

>> --
>> "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>> Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
>>> cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
>>> neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.

>> Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
>> it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.
>>

> No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
> the last few months with different types of wood.

NO MORE BBQ FOR YOU...........soup only!!!!

WiScottsin

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
om...

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> >

> > --
> > "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> > > Lately, after using the smoker I have noticed tiny blisters
> > > cropping up on my exposed areas, hands, forearms,
> > > neck and face. I didn't think anything of it until this morning.

> > Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for removing
> > it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.
> >

> No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
> the last few months with different types of wood.

A few months?? Have you been to see a physician?

Tex_Mexican

"WiScottsin" > wrote in message

> "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > --
> > > "Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
> > > . com...
> > >

> > > Do you leave the bark on? this sounds like a good argument for

removing
> > > it.. Probably some poison ivy or similar stuff on the wood.
> > >

> > No. It was clean chunks. Like I said It has slowly escalated over
> > the last few months with different types of wood.
> >

> A few months?? Have you been to see a physician?

I'll go tomorrow. It hasn't been bad enough to present
any real problem till now. It was only a few tiny blisters.
Now it's over the top.

Nathan Lau

frohe wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>
>>Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.

> Had a friend die from cuttin down a bunch of oleander. Was told to wear
> protection but swore up & down it wouldn't bother him. Hard was to learn a
> lesson.

Dang, my neighbor just cut down all his oleander. I hope he's okay.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Duwop

Nathan Lau wrote:
> frohe wrote:
>
>> BOB wrote:
>>
>>> Oleander, too. Many Hollys, etc. etc.

>> Had a friend die from cuttin down a bunch of oleander. Was told to
>> wear protection but swore up & down it wouldn't bother him. Hard
>> was to learn a lesson.

> Dang, my neighbor just cut down all his oleander. I hope he's okay.

We've got oleander all over the place out here Nathan, never heard this
before either.
Learn something all the time. Found this on the IOS (International Oleander
Society) website: http://oleander.org/toxic.html

Michael

"Charles Demas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> > wrote:

> >> That would also be my guess. Do the blisters itch? If I were you I'd
> >> hie myself off to a Dr. and ask for a Medrol Pack, which will clear
> >> poison ivy up in a few days. I learned this through first-hand
> >> experience when my forearm swelled to the size of a football after an

ivy
> >> encounter.
> >>

> >When I was around ten, my friend, Jimmy, figgered he would make himself
> >immune to poison ivy by eating the leaves. His tongue swelled up to the
> >size of football and his throat constricted to the size of a drinking
> >straw. Somehow, he made it through. I don't think he drank Calamine

Lotion
> >to cure it. One experiment at a time.

> Sounds like he came close to winning a Darwin Award nomination.
>
> I knew of a girl that seemed to be immune to poisen ivy.
> She could roll around in the stuff I'm told. It was a
> specific girl living on our street, so I don't think it
> was an urban legend.

The trick to getting a small amount of poison ivy into you without the
problems little Jimmy encountered is to take a small fresh leaf (size of
your thumbnail) and roll a piece of bread around it...then swallow it. It
does give you some tolerance to the stuff, or seems to anyway.

M&M

<snip>

My friend ****ed on an electric fence (ONE) time.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jim

> "M&M" wrote:

>My friend ****ed on an electric fence (ONE) time.

Ahem. I did that (once) when I was about 10. By accident, of course. Quite a
memorable experience. I don't recommend it at all.

Jim