Old 10-11-2003, 04:19 AM
Doug Norris

Default Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?

That guy needs a good punch in the dick.

Doug

Old 10-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Thalocean2

The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?

That guy needs a good punch in the dick.

Doug

I know it. Everytime I see that commercial I think, "sell out". Then it
occurs to me that he most likely never made any money with his shows so he had
no choice. It was eat Burger King or nothing. ;-)

Laura B.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Jack B

In article , Chef Juke
wrote:

On 10 Nov 03 04:19:30 GMT, (Doug
Norris) wrote:

The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?

That guy needs a good punch in the dick.

That's be Rick Bayliss, chef of Frontera Grill...

Here's more info..

Why is Rick Bayless doing Burger King Commercials?
http://tinyurl.com/rx12

In Rick's own words:
http://www.fronterakitchens.com/rickbayless/whatsupwbk/

Miami Heralsd's take...
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/6806176.htm

Not buyin' it. Nope.

Lots of respect for Mr. Bayless's other work, but...

"...honest, seasonal, natural flavors..." are just not going to come
from BK. They're in a totally different food business.

His claims of "steps toward... [the above]" are fatuous.

And Rick, no "Rickware" please. Emeril has messed up that market, in my
opinion, with ahh... "consumer-grade" products.

Back to the basics, man... let's see some TV specials/books about
Peruvian, Columbian, Jaliscan, TexMex, Chilean, NewMex...

--
Jack
Old 10-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Evan in Orlando

I was given the option of Burger King only for lunch recently and
decided to go with the Savory Mustard Chicken Baguette. Now, I would
have normally just have picked something like the Chicken Whopper (no
mayo or lettuce), but I like grilled chicken and I like mustard
(though I don't like fast food generally) so I ordered that. Instead
of what I ordered, I got what looked like someone's lunch that had
been brought back up and wrapped in deli paper. It was a mess of
nasty, hot tray onions and peppers, pasty tomato sauce, a small piece
of chicken, and a soggy piece of faux baguette. Was absolutely
disgusting and the food wasn't even entirely inside the roll. Pass on
this and any chef with real skills and a dedication to real food
endorsing it.

Evan

Old 10-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Red

I know it. Everytime I see that commercial I think, "sell out". Then it
occurs to me that he most likely never made any money with his shows so he

had
no choice. It was eat Burger King or nothing. ;-)

Laura B.

I don't know if it's that. There's a 2 hour wait at his restaurant almost
every night, and the margaritas start at $7.00. The mezcal margarita is
worth the trip alone.
It's some of the best Mexican food I've ever had, but I'm still not going to
eat that shit at Burger King.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:53 AM
pilgrim13

The real ass behind the BK ad's are the one'e who would like you to
believe that BK is the 7th Wonder Of The freakin' World and their
stuff, flame broiled, is wonderfull.

Too bad respected spokesperson's fall prey to the Almighty buck and
would stoop sooooo low as to pitch on another 'grease-pit'-ta-eat ad.
Especially, when that spokesperson is an aclaimed chef.

Cheers
Stan
Old 11-11-2003, 05:04 AM
Chef Juke

On 10 Nov 2003 18:53:51 -0800, (pilgrim13)
wrote:

The real ass behind the BK ad's are the one'e who would like you to
believe that BK is the 7th Wonder Of The freakin' World and their
stuff, flame broiled, is wonderfull.

Too bad respected spokesperson's fall prey to the Almighty buck and
would stoop sooooo low as to pitch on another 'grease-pit'-ta-eat ad.
Especially, when that spokesperson is an aclaimed chef.

Cheers
Stan

Well, I read his explanation on his website
http://www.fronterakitchens.com/rickbayless/whatsupwbk

And like Jack B. I don't buy much of it.

Now maybe, just maybe it's a weird twist on the whole "they're TRYING
and I wanna support them" thing. Maybe. But it's still a stretch.

Ya know, I once stopped at a McDonalds about 8 years back. I don't
think I had been to one for maybe 10-1 years before that. Was on a
roadtrip with the fam, and had been hearing about McD's making a few
changes...
One, they had a new "McLean" burger with a lot less fat than their
normal burger (made with seaweed?)

Two, they had stopped using styrofoam due to environmental concerns
(which some folks can argue the benefits of, now that they use many
more trees for their cardboard boxes.)

Three, they had gone to unbleached brown paper bags in some areas.

Well, The burger tasted like rubber (no better or worse than than
their normal burger as far as I could tell), the shake that my
daughter had still made my stomach queasy just from the 2 sips I had.

But the fries were still good (of course, this was back when they
still fried them in beef tallow...).

Since then, every time I travel (and I go up and down I-5 from Oregon
to California a lot) I seek out and try as many funky old greasy-spoon
hamburger joints I can find. Any roadside joint that doesn't have a
corporate logo on it will do.

In fact, here's a short list of burger joints I've tried and liked:

Porky Bob's
Weed rest area in I-5 north of Weed CA
530-938-1812

Great little truckstop/diner. big messy burgers

* * *
Bartel's Giant Burger
2450 Eureka Way, Redding, CA (530) 246-1427
2640 Bechelli Ln., Redding, CA (530) 223-1300

GREAT BURGERS! From scratch - fresh (not frozen) beef. Great fries.
What a roadside burger should be.

* * *
Polar Bear
231 W Front St, Merrill, OR (541) 798-5724

Way off the beaten path. Just a classic 50's/60's era burger shack
with great food. Burgers, fries, cherry coke.

Well, that's enough for a start.

Now what were we talking about again...?

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Old 11-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Red" wrote in message
y.com...

I know it. Everytime I see that commercial I think, "sell out". Then

it
occurs to me that he most likely never made any money with his shows so

he
had
no choice. It was eat Burger King or nothing. ;-)

Laura B.

I don't know if it's that. There's a 2 hour wait at his restaurant almost
every night, and the margaritas start at $7.00. The mezcal margarita is
worth the trip alone.
It's some of the best Mexican food I've ever had, but I'm still not going

eat that shit at Burger King.

To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
good mex cooking.

Jack

Old 11-11-2003, 01:13 PM
John O

But the fries were still good (of course, this was back when they
still fried them in beef tallow...).

A long time ago, I stayed alive and fed while attending school by working
for McD. As a poor 19-year old, I cooked my own McD food and it was fresh
and tasted fine. Ahh, to be a dumb teenager again...or maybe not.

Anyway, back in 1982-84, the oil that went in the fryers was 100% vegetable.
It came in 30 lb. chunks that we sat on the fryers overnight to melt. It may
be that independently-owned franchises used other oil. Either way, their
fries are the best. :-)

"small, sustainable family farms around Chicago" Where the hell would those
be? ;-)

John O

Old 13-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Doug Norris

Thanks, all. I figured if the guy was a real chef, this group woulda heard
of him - I guess I've got to get to Chicago more often.

Could be worse, I guess - he could be pimping for the "Honey Barbecue P'Zone"
from Pizza Hut. Not much worse, but worse nonetheless.

Doug
Old 13-11-2003, 12:43 AM
notbob

On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® wrote:

To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
good mex cooking.

Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
his tv show.

notkidding

Old 13-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Monroe, of course...

In article [email protected]_s03, notbob

On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® wrote:

To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
good mex cooking.

Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
his tv show.

RB was on Julia Child's show as a featured guest not long ago. This
seems kinda strange to me considering how she'd whinged in the past
about how all this hot peppers and chiles in everything was
contributing to what she termed " palate death". Tres awkward.
Who's the sellout there-Him or Her?

monroe(lady-tiger)
Old 13-11-2003, 02:49 AM
Jack B

On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® wrote:

To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
good mex cooking.

Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
his tv show.

RB was on Julia Child's show as a featured guest not long ago. This
seems kinda strange to me considering how she'd whinged in the past
about how all this hot peppers and chiles in everything was
contributing to what she termed " palate death". Tres awkward.
Who's the sellout there-Him or Her?

monroe(lady-tiger)

Heh. Not Julia. No. Never.

Might as well call Jefferson or Franklin a philanderer.

True, of course, but... we're keepin' our eyes on the road (not the
distractions), eh?

Julia will always be my heroine. Saturday afternoons with her on the tv
on top of the refrigerator... me cooking something special for the
family, and learning new stuff for next week's meal...

--
Jack

KING BURGER brooklyn1 General Cooking 14 25-11-2009 01:21 PM
World's most expensive ($200) Burger King burger Corey Richardson General Cooking 7 31-07-2008 12:53 PM
Burger King Fries jt august[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 09-06-2007 04:41 AM
Burger King Tacos Name Mexican Cooking 13 10-02-2005 10:06 AM
Rachael Ray for Burger King Joanie General Cooking 21 20-10-2003 04:59 AM