FoodBanter.com

-   -   Who's the ass in the Burger King ads? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/19255-whos-ass-burger-king.html)

Doug Norris 10-11-2003 04:19 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?

That guy needs a good punch in the dick.

Doug

Thalocean2 10-11-2003 05:26 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

>The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
>to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
>how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?
>
>That guy needs a good punch in the dick.
>
>Doug

I know it. Everytime I see that commercial I think, "sell out". Then it
occurs to me that he most likely never made any money with his shows so he had
no choice. It was eat Burger King or nothing. ;-)

Laura B.

Chef Juke 10-11-2003 05:39 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

On 10 Nov 03 04:19:30 GMT, (Doug
Norris) wrote:

>The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
>to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
>how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?
>
>That guy needs a good punch in the dick.
>
>Doug

That's be Rick Bayliss, chef of Frontera Grill...

Here's more info..

Why is Rick Bayless doing Burger King Commercials?
http://tinyurl.com/rx12

In Rick's own words:
http://www.fronterakitchens.com/rickbayless/whatsupwbk/

Miami Heralsd's take...
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/6806176.htm

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Jack B 10-11-2003 06:48 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

In article >, Chef Juke
> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 03 04:19:30 GMT, (Doug
> Norris) wrote:
>
> >The one with the well-out-of date flavour saver on his chin who's willing
> >to rish his reputation as the "Thirty Time Chef of the Year" to talk about
> >how Burger King has some of the best barbecue in Kansas City?
> >
> >That guy needs a good punch in the dick.

> That's be Rick Bayliss, chef of Frontera Grill...
>
> Here's more info..
>
> Why is Rick Bayless doing Burger King Commercials?

http://tinyurl.com/rx12

> In Rick's own words:
> http://www.fronterakitchens.com/rickbayless/whatsupwbk/
>
> Miami Heralsd's take...
> http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/6806176.htm

Not buyin' it. Nope.

Lots of respect for Mr. Bayless's other work, but...

"...honest, seasonal, natural flavors..." are just not going to come
from BK. They're in a totally different food business.

His claims of "steps toward... [the above]" are fatuous.

And Rick, no "Rickware" please. Emeril has messed up that market, in my
opinion, with ahh... "consumer-grade" products.

Back to the basics, man... let's see some TV specials/books about
Peruvian, Columbian, Jaliscan, TexMex, Chilean, NewMex...

--
Jack

Evan in Orlando 10-11-2003 06:26 PM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

I was given the option of Burger King only for lunch recently and
decided to go with the Savory Mustard Chicken Baguette. Now, I would
have normally just have picked something like the Chicken Whopper (no
mayo or lettuce), but I like grilled chicken and I like mustard
(though I don't like fast food generally) so I ordered that. Instead
of what I ordered, I got what looked like someone's lunch that had
been brought back up and wrapped in deli paper. It was a mess of
nasty, hot tray onions and peppers, pasty tomato sauce, a small piece
of chicken, and a soggy piece of faux baguette. Was absolutely
disgusting and the food wasn't even entirely inside the roll. Pass on
this and any chef with real skills and a dedication to real food
endorsing it.

Evan

Red 10-11-2003 11:28 PM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

> I know it. Everytime I see that commercial I think, "sell out". Then it
> occurs to me that he most likely never made any money with his shows so he

had
> no choice. It was eat Burger King or nothing. ;-)
>
> Laura B.

I don't know if it's that. There's a 2 hour wait at his restaurant almost
every night, and the margaritas start at $7.00. The mezcal margarita is
worth the trip alone.
It's some of the best Mexican food I've ever had, but I'm still not going to
eat that shit at Burger King.

pilgrim13 11-11-2003 02:53 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

The real ass behind the BK ad's are the one'e who would like you to
believe that BK is the 7th Wonder Of The freakin' World and their
stuff, flame broiled, is wonderfull.

Too bad respected spokesperson's fall prey to the Almighty buck and
would stoop sooooo low as to pitch on another 'grease-pit'-ta-eat ad.
Especially, when that spokesperson is an aclaimed chef.

Cheers
Stan

Chef Juke 11-11-2003 05:04 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

On 10 Nov 2003 18:53:51 -0800, (pilgrim13)
wrote:

>The real ass behind the BK ad's are the one'e who would like you to
>believe that BK is the 7th Wonder Of The freakin' World and their
>stuff, flame broiled, is wonderfull.
>
>Too bad respected spokesperson's fall prey to the Almighty buck and
>would stoop sooooo low as to pitch on another 'grease-pit'-ta-eat ad.
>Especially, when that spokesperson is an aclaimed chef.
>
>Cheers
>Stan

Well, I read his explanation on his website
http://www.fronterakitchens.com/rickbayless/whatsupwbk

And like Jack B. I don't buy much of it.

Now maybe, just maybe it's a weird twist on the whole "they're TRYING
and I wanna support them" thing. Maybe. But it's still a stretch.

Ya know, I once stopped at a McDonalds about 8 years back. I don't
think I had been to one for maybe 10-1 years before that. Was on a
roadtrip with the fam, and had been hearing about McD's making a few
changes...
One, they had a new "McLean" burger with a lot less fat than their
normal burger (made with seaweed?)

Two, they had stopped using styrofoam due to environmental concerns
(which some folks can argue the benefits of, now that they use many
more trees for their cardboard boxes.)

Three, they had gone to unbleached brown paper bags in some areas.

Well, The burger tasted like rubber (no better or worse than than
their normal burger as far as I could tell), the shake that my
daughter had still made my stomach queasy just from the 2 sips I had.

But the fries were still good (of course, this was back when they
still fried them in beef tallow...).

Since then, every time I travel (and I go up and down I-5 from Oregon
to California a lot) I seek out and try as many funky old greasy-spoon
hamburger joints I can find. Any roadside joint that doesn't have a
corporate logo on it will do.

In fact, here's a short list of burger joints I've tried and liked:

Porky Bob's
Weed rest area in I-5 north of Weed CA
530-938-1812

Great little truckstop/diner. big messy burgers

* * *
Bartel's Giant Burger
2450 Eureka Way, Redding, CA (530) 246-1427
2640 Bechelli Ln., Redding, CA (530) 223-1300

GREAT BURGERS! From scratch - fresh (not frozen) beef. Great fries.
What a roadside burger should be.

* * *
Polar Bear
231 W Front St, Merrill, OR (541) 798-5724

Way off the beaten path. Just a classic 50's/60's era burger shack
with great food. Burgers, fries, cherry coke.

Well, that's enough for a start.

Now what were we talking about again...?

Chef Juke 11-11-2003 05:06 AM

Jack Schidt® 11-11-2003 12:57 PM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

"Red" > wrote in message
y.com...

> > I know it. Everytime I see that commercial I think, "sell out". Then

it
> > occurs to me that he most likely never made any money with his shows so

he
> had
> > no choice. It was eat Burger King or nothing. ;-)
> >
> > Laura B.

> I don't know if it's that. There's a 2 hour wait at his restaurant almost
> every night, and the margaritas start at $7.00. The mezcal margarita is
> worth the trip alone.
> It's some of the best Mexican food I've ever had, but I'm still not going

> eat that shit at Burger King.

To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
good mex cooking.

Jack

John O 11-11-2003 01:13 PM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

> But the fries were still good (of course, this was back when they
> still fried them in beef tallow...).

A long time ago, I stayed alive and fed while attending school by working
for McD. As a poor 19-year old, I cooked my own McD food and it was fresh
and tasted fine. Ahh, to be a dumb teenager again...or maybe not.

Anyway, back in 1982-84, the oil that went in the fryers was 100% vegetable.
It came in 30 lb. chunks that we sat on the fryers overnight to melt. It may
be that independently-owned franchises used other oil. Either way, their
fries are the best. :-)

"small, sustainable family farms around Chicago" Where the hell would those
be? ;-)

John O

Doug Norris 13-11-2003 12:29 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

Thanks, all. I figured if the guy was a real chef, this group woulda heard
of him - I guess I've got to get to Chicago more often.

Could be worse, I guess - he could be pimping for the "Honey Barbecue P'Zone"
from Pizza Hut. Not much worse, but worse nonetheless.

Doug

notbob 13-11-2003 12:43 AM

On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® > wrote:

> To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
> good mex cooking.

Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
his tv show.

notkidding

Monroe, of course... 13-11-2003 02:24 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

In article <NsAsb.184212$Tr4.511729@attbi_s03>, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® > wrote:
>
> > To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
> > good mex cooking.

> Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
> first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
> the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
> selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
> his tv show.

RB was on Julia Child's show as a featured guest not long ago. This
seems kinda strange to me considering how she'd whinged in the past
about how all this hot peppers and chiles in everything was
contributing to what she termed " palate death". Tres awkward.
Who's the sellout there-Him or Her?

monroe(lady-tiger)

Jack B 13-11-2003 02:49 AM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

In article >, Monroe, of
course... > wrote:

> In article <NsAsb.184212$Tr4.511729@attbi_s03>, notbob
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® > wrote:
> >
> > > To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references for
> > > good mex cooking.

> > Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
> > first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
> > the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
> > selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
> > his tv show.
> >

> RB was on Julia Child's show as a featured guest not long ago. This
> seems kinda strange to me considering how she'd whinged in the past
> about how all this hot peppers and chiles in everything was
> contributing to what she termed " palate death". Tres awkward.
> Who's the sellout there-Him or Her?
>
> monroe(lady-tiger)

Heh. Not Julia. No. Never.

Might as well call Jefferson or Franklin a philanderer.

True, of course, but... we're keepin' our eyes on the road (not the
distractions), eh?

Julia will always be my heroine. Saturday afternoons with her on the tv
on top of the refrigerator... me cooking something special for the
family, and learning new stuff for next week's meal...

--
Jack

Jack Schidt® 13-11-2003 10:31 AM

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article <NsAsb.184212$Tr4.511729@attbi_s03>, notbob
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2003-11-11, Jack Schidt® > wrote:
> >
> > > To me, it sucks that he sold out, but his books are solid references

for
> > > good mex cooking.

> > Very true. I know a few good Mex cooks (including inlaws) and even MY
> > first feeble attempts, based on Rick's authentic recipes, leave 'em in
> > the dust everytime. But, feel free to kick him in the nuts for
> > selling out ...and his talk-like-a-kiddiote-show-host mannerisms on
> > his tv show.
> >

> RB was on Julia Child's show as a featured guest not long ago. This
> seems kinda strange to me considering how she'd whinged in the past
> about how all this hot peppers and chiles in everything was
> contributing to what she termed " palate death". Tres awkward.
> Who's the sellout there-Him or Her?
>
> monroe(lady-tiger)

Julia's a great chef and an icon, but I get the impression she never did get
native american cuisine.

Jack

pilgrim13 13-11-2003 04:16 PM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

Chef Juke > wrote in message news

<snip>

> But the fries were still good (of course, this was back when they
> still fried them in beef tallow...).

I remember as a kid, going to McDonalds, if anything, just to watch
them put whole potatoes into a manual french fry press...Much like the
one's you see in Europe used for lemons and oranges, then taking the
fresh cut fries and cooking them...Now those were some tasty fries.
It was such a show, that there was a large picture window where people
would just sort of stand in front of, just to watch them make
fries...Those were the good ole' day's.

When on a rare occasion, we'll get something at Burger King, cause if
your going to eat fast 'crap' food, BK rules over Mickey Dee's. We
would order everything but fries, pay for our order, cross the street
to Mickey Dee's and buy our fries there.

Anyway think we only do this perhaps once every 2-3 months. Way
better food doing it yourself at home on the grill or smoker, IMHO.

Stan

Thalocean2 13-11-2003 08:27 PM

Who's the ass in the Burger King ads?

>When on a rare occasion, we'll get something at Burger King, cause if
>your going to eat fast 'crap' food, BK rules over Mickey Dee's. We
>would order everything but fries, pay for our order, cross the street
>to Mickey Dee's and buy our fries there.

That's funny, I do the opposite.

notbob 13-11-2003 09:41 PM

On 2003-11-13, pilgrim13 > wrote:

> I remember as a kid, going to McDonalds, if anything, just to watch
> them put whole potatoes into a manual french fry press...

Where you at? Here in CA, they have In 'n Out burger chain that still
runs fresh spuds through a ff press. They are in the window and you
can see them from the drive through.

nb