Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza

A group of approximately 20 of us had lunch at Jack Stack's Plaza
location in KC last week. In a nutshell, the food was well prepared,
very flavorful and plentiful. Prices were lower than for what would be
comparable food in the Las Vegas area, where we now live. Service was
excellent. We had individual checks, but since there was more than 6 of
us in the group, an 18% tip was automatically added in. Unlike some
places, the tip was boldly spelled out, and not hidden to trick people
into double tipping. For the service we received, the 18% was reasonable.

Rather than go on about the food itself, let's just say that it was
above average for restaurant-quality barbecue. Sides were equally good.

For any of you visiting the KC area, it would be a reasonable place to
go for lunch, though there are other barbecue places that probably offer
even better barbecue if you want to drive around to find them.

While on the subject of the Plaza, we stayed at the Embassy Suites on
the Plaza, up by St. Luke's hospital. It was the most disagreeable stay
I've ever encountered in what is otherwise a good chain. The lobby was
virtually inaccessible to my wife's electric scooter unless she drove
around to the side of the building, where she would have had to open two
heavy, manual doors to enter. The complimentary drinks in the evening
were by "coupon" only, and were the tiniest pours I've ever encountered.
The line for a drink was approximately 15 minutes long- and then you
had to fish out and present a very unpleasant bartender with a coupon.
I fared even worse at the Cattleman restaurant, since they forgot my
order and after 45 minutes of waiting, I explained to them where the
order could be placed when it arrived. The next morning, the order was
on my hotel bill. I challenged it and it was removed, to the hotel's
credit.

In all, passing through KC was good from a food standpoint, if you
overlook the restaurant at the Embassy Suites on the Plaza.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article , Nonnymus says...

Rather than go on about the food itself, let's just say that it was
above average for restaurant-quality barbecue. Sides were equally good.

I ate at the Jack Stack's in Overland Park, KS a couple of years ago while at a
training class. IIRC, I had a sampler plate. The waitress also included some of
their brisket for me to sample at no charge.

Everything was good--and the sausage was good enough that it got me to start
smoking them at home.

I think we ended up tipping 25%--the waitress was very good at helping us decide
which sides were the best to try.

They had a creamed corn side dish that was really good.

Mark

Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
For future reference, some of the high rise condos on the Plaza
also have nice guest rooms for rent. However downtown is looking good these
days too.... right John O.?

Our former high school band director departed the home town long ago to
direct in Raytown, but now is retired and in one of the converted condos
right on the Plaza. We had dessert with him at his condo, and it was
really top drawer. He said that condos on the Plaza run in the 1/2 to 1
million range, nowadays, and from what we saw, I believe him. Tredway
Hall was about the most bizzarre and ugly looking building I've ever
seen. Any idea if they ever found buyers after the "remodel" and
conversion?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" wrote in message
Nonnymus wrote:
[...]

There are several restaurants in the Smokestack Jack Stack group, all
originating with the elder Jack Fioerella and his original restaurant on
Hickman Mills Drive, now closed. Its as venerable a barbecue family as can
be found around here, and in Kansas City, that's high praise indeed. I'm
still partial to the Smoke Stack on south Wornall which would be almost
due
south from the Plaza Jack Stack, rating in the top 5 in town IMO, but I
never complain about a meal at any of them!

While on the subject of the Plaza, we stayed at the Embassy Suites on
the Plaza, up by St. Luke's hospital. It was the most disagreeable
stay I've ever encountered in what is otherwise a good chain.

Yeah, that's not exactly the best hotel on the Plaza. Its reputation is
hit
and miss, sometimes great, sometimes as you describe. Business groups,
large
family reunions, and so forth seem to fare better than smaller groups.
Book
50 rooms and a couple hospitality suites, and your butt will be suitably
kissed, from what I understand. I have had good experiences with the
Sheraton and Marriot on the Plaza and they say the Holiday Inn is even
decent, and of course the Raphael and International if you want to go more
upscale. For future reference, some of the high rise condos on the Plaza
also have nice guest rooms for rent. However downtown is looking good
these
days too.... right John O.?

Works for me...but I'm a business traveler who needs just a clean bed, quiet
room, and easy travel to my local destination. That said, the Crown Plaza
downtown was just fine, and it's just a few blocks walk over to the new
Power Light district and their trendy restaurants du jour. :-) We've also
done just fine at the Holiday Inn in Westport, but it's a definite step
down. The neighborhood there is great.

-John O

Stack Cake ImStillMags General Cooking 5 11-12-2010 03:53 AM
Community Garden HOE-Down at La Plaza Cultural zonagram General 0 14-05-2007 11:28 PM
Chili Stack Duckie Recipes 0 19-04-2005 02:47 PM
Guacamole estilo Toluca (Tacos de plaza) krusty kritter Mexican Cooking 0 18-03-2005 02:56 PM