FoodBanter.com

-   -   Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/159865-jack-stacks-kcmo-plaza.html)

Nonnymus[_5_] 07-08-2008 10:58 PM

Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza

A group of approximately 20 of us had lunch at Jack Stack's Plaza
location in KC last week. In a nutshell, the food was well prepared,
very flavorful and plentiful. Prices were lower than for what would be
comparable food in the Las Vegas area, where we now live. Service was
excellent. We had individual checks, but since there was more than 6 of
us in the group, an 18% tip was automatically added in. Unlike some
places, the tip was boldly spelled out, and not hidden to trick people
into double tipping. For the service we received, the 18% was reasonable.

Rather than go on about the food itself, let's just say that it was
above average for restaurant-quality barbecue. Sides were equally good.

For any of you visiting the KC area, it would be a reasonable place to
go for lunch, though there are other barbecue places that probably offer
even better barbecue if you want to drive around to find them.

While on the subject of the Plaza, we stayed at the Embassy Suites on
the Plaza, up by St. Luke's hospital. It was the most disagreeable stay
I've ever encountered in what is otherwise a good chain. The lobby was
virtually inaccessible to my wife's electric scooter unless she drove
around to the side of the building, where she would have had to open two
heavy, manual doors to enter. The complimentary drinks in the evening
were by "coupon" only, and were the tiniest pours I've ever encountered.
The line for a drink was approximately 15 minutes long- and then you
had to fish out and present a very unpleasant bartender with a coupon.
I fared even worse at the Cattleman restaurant, since they forgot my
order and after 45 minutes of waiting, I explained to them where the
order could be placed when it arrived. The next morning, the order was
on my hotel bill. I challenged it and it was removed, to the hotel's
credit.

In all, passing through KC was good from a food standpoint, if you
overlook the restaurant at the Embassy Suites on the Plaza.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.

Mark Filice 08-08-2008 11:30 PM

Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza

In article >, Nonnymus says...

>Rather than go on about the food itself, let's just say that it was
>above average for restaurant-quality barbecue. Sides were equally good.

I ate at the Jack Stack's in Overland Park, KS a couple of years ago while at a
training class. IIRC, I had a sampler plate. The waitress also included some of
their brisket for me to sample at no charge.

Everything was good--and the sausage was good enough that it got me to start
smoking them at home.

I think we ended up tipping 25%--the waitress was very good at helping us decide
which sides were the best to try.

They had a creamed corn side dish that was really good.

Mark

Nonnymus[_5_] 09-08-2008 02:40 AM

Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
For future reference, some of the high rise condos on the Plaza
> also have nice guest rooms for rent. However downtown is looking good these
> days too.... right John O.?

Our former high school band director departed the home town long ago to
direct in Raytown, but now is retired and in one of the converted condos
right on the Plaza. We had dessert with him at his condo, and it was
really top drawer. He said that condos on the Plaza run in the 1/2 to 1
million range, nowadays, and from what we saw, I believe him. Tredway
Hall was about the most bizzarre and ugly looking building I've ever
seen. Any idea if they ever found buyers after the "remodel" and
conversion?

John O[_2_] 09-08-2008 02:22 PM

Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> A group of approximately 20 of us had lunch at Jack Stack's Plaza
>> location in KC last week. In a nutshell, the food was well prepared,
>> very flavorful and plentiful. Prices were lower than for what would
>> be comparable food in the Las Vegas area, where we now live. Service
>> was excellent. We had individual checks, but since there was more
>> than 6 of us in the group, an 18% tip was automatically added in.
>> Unlike some places, the tip was boldly spelled out, and not hidden to
>> trick people into double tipping. For the service we received, the
>> 18% was reasonable.
>>
>> Rather than go on about the food itself, let's just say that it was
>> above average for restaurant-quality barbecue. Sides were equally
>> good.
>>
>> For any of you visiting the KC area, it would be a reasonable place to
>> go for lunch, though there are other barbecue places that probably
>> offer even better barbecue if you want to drive around to find them.

> There are several restaurants in the Smokestack Jack Stack group, all
> originating with the elder Jack Fioerella and his original restaurant on
> Hickman Mills Drive, now closed. Its as venerable a barbecue family as can
> be found around here, and in Kansas City, that's high praise indeed. I'm
> still partial to the Smoke Stack on south Wornall which would be almost
> due
> south from the Plaza Jack Stack, rating in the top 5 in town IMO, but I
> never complain about a meal at any of them!
>>
>> While on the subject of the Plaza, we stayed at the Embassy Suites on
>> the Plaza, up by St. Luke's hospital. It was the most disagreeable
>> stay I've ever encountered in what is otherwise a good chain.

> Yeah, that's not exactly the best hotel on the Plaza. Its reputation is
> hit
> and miss, sometimes great, sometimes as you describe. Business groups,
> large
> family reunions, and so forth seem to fare better than smaller groups.
> Book
> 50 rooms and a couple hospitality suites, and your butt will be suitably
> kissed, from what I understand. I have had good experiences with the
> Sheraton and Marriot on the Plaza and they say the Holiday Inn is even
> decent, and of course the Raphael and International if you want to go more
> upscale. For future reference, some of the high rise condos on the Plaza
> also have nice guest rooms for rent. However downtown is looking good
> these
> days too.... right John O.?

Works for me...but I'm a business traveler who needs just a clean bed, quiet
room, and easy travel to my local destination. That said, the Crown Plaza
downtown was just fine, and it's just a few blocks walk over to the new
Power Light district and their trendy restaurants du jour. :-) We've also
done just fine at the Holiday Inn in Westport, but it's a definite step
down. The neighborhood there is great.

-John O