Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Stack Cake

I grew up with what is called a Stack Cake. It is from the Southern
Appalachian region and is hardly made anymore.

I saw that Martha Stewart had her verision of a stack cake on her
website.

You can compare recipes.........of course I think mine is WAY better,
because it's auathentic.

mine:

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/coo...ple-stack-cake

Martha's:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...tbrain-recipes

This is a great cake for big family gatherings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 6:08*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> I grew up with what is called a Stack Cake. * It is from the Southern
> Appalachian region and is hardly made anymore.

I've never heard of it so you must be right that it is hardly made
anymore.

> I saw that Martha Stewart had her verision of a stack cake on her
> website.
>
> You can compare recipes.........of course I think mine is WAY better,
> because it's auathentic.
>
> mine:
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/coo...20-dried-apple...
>
> Martha's:
>
> http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...ian-stack-cake...
>
> This is a great cake for big family gatherings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sitara wrote:

> I grew up with what is called a Stack Cake. It is from the Southern
> Appalachian region and is hardly made anymore.
>
> I saw that Martha Stewart had her verision of a stack cake on her
> website.
>
> You can compare recipes.........of course I think mine is WAY better,
> because it's auathentic.

Not to cast doubt on how good your cake is, but being authentic doesn't
really make it better.

That being said, I like components of both recipes. I like the way the
Martha Stewart recipe uses apple cider instead of water, and I like the fact
that your recipe uses more apples and makes more layers. I like your
inclusion of cinnamon, and I'm surprised that the Martha Stewart recipe
doesn't call for it. Both recipes only use one egg; I'd probably use one egg
and one yolk. I think I'd use less flour than your recipe calls for, too:
Since your batter is so stiff, I can't imagine the cake being as tender as
I'd like it to be. Doesn't it come out somewhat like a scone?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I grew up with what is called a Stack Cake. It is from the Southern
> Appalachian region and is hardly made anymore.
>
> I saw that Martha Stewart had her verision of a stack cake on her
> website.
>
> You can compare recipes.........of course I think mine is WAY better,
> because it's auathentic.
>
> mine:
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/coo...ple-stack-cake

I didn't look at Martha's but your recipe sounds and looks delicious.
Can you imagine making it with any other dried fruit? (Apricot came to
mind.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 10, 6:30*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Sitara wrote:
> > I grew up with what is called a Stack Cake. * It is from the Southern
> > Appalachian region and is hardly made anymore.

> > I saw that Martha Stewart had her verision of a stack cake on her
> > website.

> > You can compare recipes.........of course I think mine is WAY better,
> > because it's auathentic.

> Not to cast doubt on how good your cake is, but being authentic doesn't
> really make it better.
>
> That being said, I like components of both recipes. I like the way the
> Martha Stewart recipe uses apple cider instead of water, and I like the fact
> that your recipe uses more apples and makes more layers. I like your
> inclusion of cinnamon, and I'm surprised that the Martha Stewart recipe
> doesn't call for it. Both recipes only use one egg; I'd probably use one egg
> and one yolk. I think I'd use less flour than your recipe calls for, too:
> Since your batter is so stiff, I can't imagine the cake being as tender as
> I'd like it to be. Doesn't it come out somewhat like a scone?
>
> Bob

No, it's very moist. The reason for that is the apple butter melds
into the layers. Note that the recipe calls for keeping the cake in
the refrigerator for a couple of days to let it 'soak'. It's dense,
moist and yummy. We always serve it with loads of whipped cream.

Another thing that made the cake exceptional was that the dried apples
were usually from our own trees.

You can substitute apple butter for the dried apple mixture, but it's
better if it's your own apple butter too .

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 10, 6:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > I grew up with what is called a Stack Cake. * It is from the Southern
> > Appalachian region and is hardly made anymore.

> > I saw that Martha Stewart had her verision of a stack cake on her
> > website.

> > You can compare recipes.........of course I think mine is WAY better,
> > because it's auathentic.

> > mine:

> >http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/coo...20-dried-apple...

> I didn't look at Martha's but your recipe sounds and looks delicious.
> Can you imagine making it with any other dried fruit? *(Apricot came to
> mind.)
>
> gloria p

I've never done one with apricots but I certainly don't see why not.