Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John O[_2_] John O[_2_] is offline

Default Jack Stack's KCMO Plaza

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> A group of approximately 20 of us had lunch at Jack Stack's Plaza
>> location in KC last week. In a nutshell, the food was well prepared,
>> very flavorful and plentiful. Prices were lower than for what would
>> be comparable food in the Las Vegas area, where we now live. Service
>> was excellent. We had individual checks, but since there was more
>> than 6 of us in the group, an 18% tip was automatically added in.
>> Unlike some places, the tip was boldly spelled out, and not hidden to
>> trick people into double tipping. For the service we received, the
>> 18% was reasonable.
>>
>> Rather than go on about the food itself, let's just say that it was
>> above average for restaurant-quality barbecue. Sides were equally
>> good.
>>
>> For any of you visiting the KC area, it would be a reasonable place to
>> go for lunch, though there are other barbecue places that probably
>> offer even better barbecue if you want to drive around to find them.

> There are several restaurants in the Smokestack Jack Stack group, all
> originating with the elder Jack Fioerella and his original restaurant on
> Hickman Mills Drive, now closed. Its as venerable a barbecue family as can
> be found around here, and in Kansas City, that's high praise indeed. I'm
> still partial to the Smoke Stack on south Wornall which would be almost
> due
> south from the Plaza Jack Stack, rating in the top 5 in town IMO, but I
> never complain about a meal at any of them!
>>
>> While on the subject of the Plaza, we stayed at the Embassy Suites on
>> the Plaza, up by St. Luke's hospital. It was the most disagreeable
>> stay I've ever encountered in what is otherwise a good chain.

> Yeah, that's not exactly the best hotel on the Plaza. Its reputation is
> hit
> and miss, sometimes great, sometimes as you describe. Business groups,
> large
> family reunions, and so forth seem to fare better than smaller groups.
> Book
> 50 rooms and a couple hospitality suites, and your butt will be suitably
> kissed, from what I understand. I have had good experiences with the
> Sheraton and Marriot on the Plaza and they say the Holiday Inn is even
> decent, and of course the Raphael and International if you want to go more
> upscale. For future reference, some of the high rise condos on the Plaza
> also have nice guest rooms for rent. However downtown is looking good
> these
> days too.... right John O.?

Works for me...but I'm a business traveler who needs just a clean bed, quiet
room, and easy travel to my local destination. That said, the Crown Plaza
downtown was just fine, and it's just a few blocks walk over to the new
Power Light district and their trendy restaurants du jour. :-) We've also
done just fine at the Holiday Inn in Westport, but it's a definite step
down. The neighborhood there is great.

-John O