Old 19-10-2007, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cooking chicken on a gas grill

I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Guv Bob

Old 19-10-2007, 09:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 19-10-2007, 10:43 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

I either cook it as described above or use the rotisserie on my gas grill.

Old 20-10-2007, 12:24 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

I usually leave the bird whole, and smoke-roast with indirect heat on
the Weber kettle at fairly high temps. For gas, I guess turn off one
side or whatever.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 20-10-2007, 02:58 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" wrote in message
Dave Bugg wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

I usually leave the bird whole, and smoke-roast with indirect heat on
the Weber kettle at fairly high temps. For gas, I guess turn off one
side or whatever.

Brian

On the three burner Weber you can cook indirectly. Chicken is so tasteless,
however, that it needs charcoal and wood in addition to whatever else you
season it with. I've never spatch-cocked. I'm sure it is a great way. The
term spatchcock sounds pretty obscene. I'm going to try it.

Kent

Old 20-10-2007, 05:13 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

If that term is not up to stuff, use 'Butterflied'.

Harry
Old 24-10-2007, 06:07 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

OK, I'm as dumb as fence post when it comes to BBQ. What is spatch-cooked?

Guv Bob

Old 24-10-2007, 06:37 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Guv Bob wrote:
I nose it ain't REEL barbeque, butt that's awl I got raht now....

So tell me this hyur....

How's the best way to grill it without taking the skin off first? I
bin cooking it on low for 45-60 minutes and keeping a spray can of
water handy to keep the far down. Must be a better way summers.

Spill yore guts, boys!

Spatch-cocked (butterflied), grill temp at the grate about 325F. Flip
halfway through the cooking process.

OK, I'm as dumb as fence post when it comes to BBQ. What is
spatch-cooked?

Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 25-10-2007, 12:21 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Guv Bob wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Thanks, Dave.

Glad to help, Guv.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 25-10-2007, 12:22 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cameron Moore wrote:

Thanks for that link Dave.

You're welcome.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 25-10-2007, 03:51 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Oct-2007, Cameron Moore wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:37:15 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

snippity doo dah

Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Thanks for that link Dave. I've done spatch-cocked before, or so I
thought. I've never removed the backbone with the 2nd cut. I will try
that next time.

seymour

Hey seymour! Save them backbones you cut out and add them to
wingtips you might have saved. Don't forget the ribcages after you
cut the breasts loose either. When you get enough, add some
mirapoir and cook up a bunch of chicken stock. You can't buy
stock as good as you can make.

'course I have more time then brains so maybe it doesn't apply.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 25-10-2007, 02:32 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 25, 2:14 am, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:51:56 GMT, "

wrote:

On 24-Oct-2007, Cameron Moore wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:37:15 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

snippity doo dah

Spatch-cocked, not spatch-cooked. Here's a visual explanation:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Thanks for that link Dave. I've done spatch-cocked before, or so I
thought. I've never removed the backbone with the 2nd cut. I will try
that next time.

seymour

Hey seymour! Save them backbones you cut out and add them to
wingtips you might have saved. Don't forget the ribcages after you
cut the breasts loose either. When you get enough, add some
mirapoir and cook up a bunch of chicken stock. You can't buy
stock as good as you can make.

'course I have more time then brains so maybe it doesn't apply.

Normally, I don't much muck with the spelling of others (my own is bad
enough), but if one wants results from google on the subject, one
would do better with "mirepoix", and it is 2:1:1 of onions, carrots &
celery, respectively. Not sure it's by weight, or by volume of
similar sized pieces, but i use the latter, and have had good results.

('Trinity', a 2:1:1 of onion, bell pepper, & celery, also works well.)

As far as stock goes, i heartily concur with your advice - I always
save the bones & cartilage when I serve chicken, and when I have
enough. Sure, other people have gnawed & handled them, but they're
going to be simmered for several hours, and then cooked again when I
cook with it - unless there's been some other contaminaion, I don't
see a problem.

Just remember to simmer, and don't boil them. Boiling can leach out
some less appetzing flavors. Don't forget to cover the pot so it
doesn't go dry and wreck your pot while you ain't looking.

The easy way to know you're done, is to spoon a little into a small
container, and chill it - if it gets jelly-like after it cools down,
you've got stock.

once you are satisfied with your product, strain it, and I reccomend
that you refrigerate your stock overnight. This allows the chicken
fat to rise to the top & solidify into what some call 'schmaltz'.
This can also be used for cooking, or can be discarded.

If you have no immediate plans for your stock, it's handy to pour it
into plastic containers & freeze, then pop 'em out & store in zip-top
bags. I like to freeze measured cups & pints, so I can just grab a
block & go, but YMMV.

Hope that helps _someone_... G

Oh, and Dave? Thanks for the link, it looks useful. Nice to know
they think well of the lump I've been using.

Regards,

--
Rusty the bookman

Minion of Phil #0001
You don't understand the power of the insufficiently lit side.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you when you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, and they're starvation cheap
- Kipling- Hide quoted text -

Best chicken stocks I've ever made are made using chicken feet. (The
more ethnic markets have them, as well as some grocery stores. Use
your right on method from above. Take the feet, roast in the oven in
a single layer at 325 with some carrots and celery; for 35 mins or
so, until beginning to turn golden. Add it all to your stock pot
filled with cold water, careful not to boil.

Makes rich gelatinous stock.
(Hopefully not too off topic.)
Pierre