Verizon User

Default Cooking Kabobs/Skewers (beef-shrimp-chicken) on gas grill?

Hi all,

Recently got the Jenn-air 460P (love it!).

However, I need to find the proper technique for grilling kabobs (or
skewers) on a gas grill... hoping that someone could help!

- What temperature should I preheat the grill to?
- Should I cook with the top up or down?
- How to handle the doneness of the shrimp v. chicken v. steak v. veggies
all on one skewer?

Thanks!

Louis Cohen

Set up your skewers with things that take about the same time to cook.
There is very little that cooks as fast as shrimp, except maybe small
scallops.

Usually, you grill anything thicker than a chicken breast or a steak with
the lid down, to help cook inside before the outside burns. And, of course,
you can cook anything with the lid down. So, it's your choice, but with the
lid up you may want to use a slightly lower fire (so as not to burn the
outside before the inside is done).

Use a medium-high fire, and plan to turn the skewers often. If you use wood
skewers, soak them for an hour first, so that they won't burn. Japanese
chefs like to use 2 skewers through the same meat so that the meat doesn't
just spin around the skewer when they turn them.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Verizon User" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Recently got the Jenn-air 460P (love it!).
>
> However, I need to find the proper technique for grilling kabobs (or
> skewers) on a gas grill... hoping that someone could help!
>
> - What temperature should I preheat the grill to?
> - Should I cook with the top up or down?
> - How to handle the doneness of the shrimp v. chicken v. steak v. veggies
> all on one skewer?
>
> Thanks!

Tyler Hopper

"Verizon User" > wrote in message news:Wz3Tc.3$_w.2@trndny04...
> Hi all,
>
> Recently got the Jenn-air 460P (love it!).
>
> However, I need to find the proper technique for grilling kabobs (or
> skewers) on a gas grill... hoping that someone could help!
>
> - What temperature should I preheat the grill to?
> - Should I cook with the top up or down?
> - How to handle the doneness of the shrimp v. chicken v. steak v. veggies
> all on one skewer?

The easiest thing to do is to cook everything separately and then skewer it up
afterwards.

cory

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> "Verizon User" > wrote in message news:Wz3Tc.3$_w.2@trndny04...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Recently got the Jenn-air 460P (love it!).
>>
>>However, I need to find the proper technique for grilling kabobs (or
>>skewers) on a gas grill... hoping that someone could help!
>>
>>- What temperature should I preheat the grill to?
>>- Should I cook with the top up or down?
>>- How to handle the doneness of the shrimp v. chicken v. steak v. veggies
>>all on one skewer?

> The easiest thing to do is to cook everything separately and then skewer it up
> afterwards.

Traditionally, the food is removed from the skewer before serving. So,
if you want to take this advice, you should instead just leave the
skewers out of it.

To make sure everything is cooked the right amount, the best way is to
skewer like ingredients together.
cory

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> "Verizon User" > wrote in message news:Wz3Tc.3$_w.2@trndny04...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Recently got the Jenn-air 460P (love it!).
>>
>>However, I need to find the proper technique for grilling kabobs (or
>>skewers) on a gas grill... hoping that someone could help!
>>
>>- What temperature should I preheat the grill to?
>>- Should I cook with the top up or down?
>>- How to handle the doneness of the shrimp v. chicken v. steak v. veggies
>>all on one skewer?

> The easiest thing to do is to cook everything separately and then skewer it up
> afterwards.

Traditionally, the food is removed from the skewer before serving. So,
if you want to take this advice, you should instead just leave the
skewers out of it.

To make sure everything is cooked the right amount, the best way is to
skewer like ingredients together.

F1

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Set up your skewers with things that take about the same time to cook.
> There is very little that cooks as fast as shrimp, except maybe small
> scallops.
>
> Usually, you grill anything thicker than a chicken breast or a steak with
> the lid down, to help cook inside before the outside burns. And, of

course,
> you can cook anything with the lid down. So, it's your choice, but with

the
> lid up you may want to use a slightly lower fire (so as not to burn the
> outside before the inside is done).
>
> Use a medium-high fire, and plan to turn the skewers often. If you use

wood
> skewers, soak them for an hour first, so that they won't burn. Japanese
> chefs like to use 2 skewers through the same meat so that the meat doesn't
> just spin around the skewer when they turn them.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

San Leandro?!

F1

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Set up your skewers with things that take about the same time to cook.
> There is very little that cooks as fast as shrimp, except maybe small
> scallops.
>
> Usually, you grill anything thicker than a chicken breast or a steak with
> the lid down, to help cook inside before the outside burns. And, of

course,
> you can cook anything with the lid down. So, it's your choice, but with

the
> lid up you may want to use a slightly lower fire (so as not to burn the
> outside before the inside is done).
>
> Use a medium-high fire, and plan to turn the skewers often. If you use

wood
> skewers, soak them for an hour first, so that they won't burn. Japanese
> chefs like to use 2 skewers through the same meat so that the meat doesn't
> just spin around the skewer when they turn them.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

San Leandro?!

Shrimp Skewers with Tzatziki WindyCityPrince Recipes (moderated) 0 29-09-2008 04:21 AM
Cooking chicken on a gas grill Guv Bob Barbecue 20 29-10-2007 06:32 AM
Citrus Shrimp Skewers 7 Hawks Recipes 0 01-07-2005 05:58 PM
Yoghurt Marinated Shrimp Skewers Chris Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2004 03:26 PM
Grilled Shrimp Skewers Duckie ® Recipes 0 12-04-2004 01:52 AM