Old 23-12-2003, 04:40 PM
zak

Default Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

TIA

Old 23-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Vox Humana

"zak" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

Are you using Tilia brand bags? Was the onset of the problem sudden or
gradual?

Old 24-12-2003, 12:18 AM
zak

Vox Humana wrote:
"zak" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...

I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

Are you using Tilia brand bags? Was the onset of the problem sudden or
gradual?

Yes am using tilia brand bags. Have not used it much. Bought it used a
about a year ago. I am wondering if there is a way to get it to draw out
more air. Thanks.

Old 24-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Don Wiss

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:40:43 GMT, zak wrote:

I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

Are you wrapping dry or wet foods?

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old 24-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"zak" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

TIA

Inside the case is a soft rubber oval ring that holds the bag. Be sure it is
clean and no gobs of dried stuff are on it preventing a good seal. If air
get past it, the sealer will not draw down the bag. Be sure it is in place
properly also.

Next to check is the bags. If there is a slight leak in the bag, it may
draw down some, but not all the way. Can I assume you've tried a couple of
different bags? I've not run into it, but I did hear of at least one person
that had a defective roll and the factory seal was leaking.

If you want to check the bags, place the already sealed side on the heating
bar and give it a seal on three sides. This should make a double seal in
case of a leaker. Then put something in the bag and see if it sucks it down
properly. If yes, it is probably the bags. If no, it is probably the
machine.

Next step is to open the machine and play with the pump, but I don't know
what, if anything, you could repair. At that point, invest the $50 for a
new one they will probably send you.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 24-12-2003, 03:49 AM
zak

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"zak" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...

[...]

I kinda figured that is what I would have to do. Tilia will send me a
machine only for $50. I can get the 550 model with accessories for $90
at a local discounter.

Was hoping someone had a similiar problem and found and easy fix. When I
called Tilia, they had me hold down the ON button and it would not stop
running, unless I released the button.

I do notice a slight ridge on the heating element, so I will try a very
small bag so that the edge does not rest on this ridge and see what
happens.

Thanks for your tips.

Old 29-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Lisa

"zak" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

TIA

I had a problem with my old one several years ago not sucking well. My
hubby opened it up, removed the tubing, cleaned out the tubing and put it
back in. It worked like new again. It was easy and didn't take long at
all. This was on a professional model that I bought about 18 years ago so I
don't know if this will work on the newer models.

Lisa

Old 30-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Bob Sisson

I had the same problem after some liquid got into the system.

Never got a good suck going....

I let it suck some good fine oil (just a few drops) and it seems MUCH
happier.

Bob

Old 30-12-2003, 07:34 PM
zak

Bob Sisson wrote:

I had the same problem after some liquid got into the system.

Never got a good suck going....

I let it suck some good fine oil (just a few drops) and it seems MUCH
happier.

Regular household oil like 3 in 1? Where would I place the drops?

Thank you. I ordered a new one. But if I can salvage this one, maybe I
can sell it to a friend for $25 or so.

Bob

Old 30-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Kim Grauballe

Foodsavers suck, period. You don't get value for your money whicheverway you
look at it.
Look mat the outlay for the machine, and the continuing cost of the right
bags.
If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
Kim.

news:[email protected]_s52...

Old 30-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Steve Calvin

Kim Grauballe wrote:

Foodsavers suck, period. You don't get value for your money whicheverway you
look at it.
Look mat the outlay for the machine, and the continuing cost of the right
bags.
If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
Kim.

Not by my experience. The ordinary freezer bags are somewhat porous
and over the course of time some air will migrate into the bag. I
have a Tilia and have had it for about 3 years. It's saved up over the
cost if the unit and bags because we've not thrown anything out for
being freezer burned since we started using it. Plus there are many
other uses over and above using it for freezing things.

--
Steve

Old 31-12-2003, 03:37 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

--

"Kim Grauballe"
If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
Kim.

Really???? Look at the figures on this chart:
http://www.pump-n-seal.com/vacuumtest.htm

Item # Product/Company Name Vacuum Generated
in inches of Hg
1 Pump-N-Seal® (Hand Pump) by Pioneering Concepts 28.9
2 FoodSaver Compact by Tila 24.2
3 Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Model Heritage II 2.50
4 Vac-u-Pac Model 465W by Hamilton Beach 0.639
5 Pak'n Save Model 838 by Decosonic 0.382
6 Deni Freshlock TurboSeal Model 1630 by Keystone 0.448

If you think you can suck that good, you better start practicing.

Old 31-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Bruce

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"

"Kim Grauballe"
If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
Kim.

Really???? Look at the figures on this chart:
http://www.pump-n-seal.com/vacuumtest.htm

Item # Product/Company Name Vacuum Generated
in inches of Hg
1 Pump-N-Seal® (Hand Pump) by Pioneering Concepts 28.9
2 FoodSaver Compact by Tila 24.2
3 Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Model Heritage II 2.50
4 Vac-u-Pac Model 465W by Hamilton Beach 0.639
5 Pak'n Save Model 838 by Decosonic 0.382
6 Deni Freshlock TurboSeal Model 1630 by Keystone 0.448

If you think you can suck that good, you better start practicing.

SNIP

Insert suggestive comment he

Bruce

Old 02-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Kim Grauballe

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:
snip
If you think you can suck that good, you better start practicing.

I stand corrected, although it seems to work for my needs.

SNIP

Insert suggestive comment he

Please don't, not on a nice family NG.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:37 PM
[email protected]

Pump N Seal sounds the best according to it's website that you posted.
Why doesn't anyone have that I wonder. Maybe it's just not as
convienient as the Foodsaver? I bought my Dad a Foodsaver 2 years ago
and he likes it very much.

I just received a "Rival Seal a Meal vs110" for Christmas from my
girlfriend. She's not knowledgeable about foodsavers, in other words
she knew I talk about my Dad's all the time but I don't think she knew I
really wanted a Tilia Foodsaver.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows if what I got for Christmas is as
good as the Foodsaver or should I try to tell her as nicely as possible
that I'd like to have her return it and I'll pay the extra for a
Foodsaver like the 800 series. According to the Rival website the one
she bought me sells for around $80.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Tilia FoodSaver??? Rob Mills Barbecue 30 25-02-2007 12:22 PM
Tilia FoodSaver Bags [email protected] Cooking Equipment 6 10-01-2005 12:23 PM
Tilia 900 Foodsaver Skip Cooking Equipment 1 04-10-2004 10:04 PM
I need Tilia foodsaver lessons Rona Yuthasastrakosol General Cooking 6 04-07-2004 07:28 AM
Tilia foodsaver does not suck good zak General Cooking 48 31-12-2003 02:22 AM