Default Freeze & refrigerate flour?

I have a book on nutrition that says you should freeze flour for 2
weeks, then keep it in the refrigerater in a tightly sealed jar to
prevent it from going rancid. Is that true? I kept my corn meal and all
purpose bleached flour in the their paper bags in the kitchen cabinet
for a few months more or less and there didn't seem to be anything
wrong with them.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have a book on nutrition that says you should freeze flour for 2
> weeks, then keep it in the refrigerater in a tightly sealed jar to
> prevent it from going rancid. Is that true? I kept my corn meal and all
> purpose bleached flour in the their paper bags in the kitchen cabinet
> for a few months more or less and there didn't seem to be anything
> wrong with them.

The freeze/refrigerate directions may be fine to prevent insect infestation.
For high fat flour like whole wheat, chilling would slow down oxidation.
Buying flour in quantities that you use quickly is a good idea and precludes
having to chill or freeze it. I also keep mine on the shelf at room
temperature.

Mary

My farmer friends tell me that the reason to freeze all wheat flour is
to kill the bug eggs that are an unavoidable part of the flour you
purchase. Flour that has not been frozen and which is stored for a
long time doesn't "get" bugs, but rather hatches the little bug eggs
that are already in the flour from the start. Freezing kills the eggs
so they never hatch. [Of course, you can also attract bugs from
outside the flour, depending upon storage method, and whole wheat flour
can go rancid.]