Vox Humana

Default Freeze & refrigerate flour?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have a book on nutrition that says you should freeze flour for 2
> weeks, then keep it in the refrigerater in a tightly sealed jar to
> prevent it from going rancid. Is that true? I kept my corn meal and all
> purpose bleached flour in the their paper bags in the kitchen cabinet
> for a few months more or less and there didn't seem to be anything
> wrong with them.

The freeze/refrigerate directions may be fine to prevent insect infestation.
For high fat flour like whole wheat, chilling would slow down oxidation.
Buying flour in quantities that you use quickly is a good idea and precludes
having to chill or freeze it. I also keep mine on the shelf at room
temperature.