Old 28-07-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why not refrigerate everything?

Why not refrigerate everything?

I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
the landlord but on the small side to say the least.

However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.

But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
goods?

I could buy another fridge with built in freezer and
get additional freezer space..... but also get
additional fridge space where I could store boxes of
cereal, oatmeal, and other things you normally don't
think abt storing in a fridge.

What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?

Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
forget abt the extra fridge space?

Old 28-07-2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 28, 7:19*am, wrote:
Why not refrigerate everything?

Why would you want to?

......what
would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
goods? *

what would be right about it?

What you think abt my idea?

I think you haven't said what the problem is with storing things in
the cupboard. Do you have bug infestations? Do you have phobias? Do
you think (wrongly in most cases) that food products meant for shelf
storage will last longer in the refrigerator?

Most apartment dwellers who cook for only one person don't find cold
storage space inadequate. What are the circumstances that make you
want more? -aem
Old 28-07-2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Why not refrigerate everything?

I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
the landlord but on the small side to say the least.

However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
more foods in bulk. �I live alone.

If you live alone why do you need to stash so much food, are you
paranoid about running out of food, are there no stupidmarkets
nearby... it's always better to buy fresh and/or take advantage of the
store's fridges/freezers. And if your landlord is paying for your
electric you'll not be permitted to have an extra fridge or freezer,
and rightly so. And if you're paying for electric you won't be able
to save enough money buying sale items to cover the price of the
appliance and your additional electric bill. If you have extra cash
sitting around you'd be far wiser putting it into an interest bearing
savings account than to invest in foods for stockpiling, many of which
you'll never consume... trust me, simply because you have the space
you will fill it, mainly with larger quantites of perishables than you
can consume before they spoil.

Old 28-07-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
Why not refrigerate everything?

I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
the landlord but on the small side to say the least.

However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.

But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
goods?

Not olive oil either. It solidifies when it's refrigerated.

There's certain things that can't be refrigerated, like some chocolate
coatings for ice cream.

And you probably don't want to refrigerate hard candies like M&Ms and taffy
or you can damage your teeth/fillings.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old 28-07-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I think it depends on where you live. When my dad lived in Hawaii,
they routinely kept anything bugs might like to live in or eat in the
refrigerator or freezer.

Ha!

That was another reason why I was thinking abt a fridge
for everything..... BUGS!!

I have em too here!
Old 28-07-2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

I think you haven't said what the problem is with storing things in
the cupboard. Do you have bug infestations? Do you have phobias? Do
you think (wrongly in most cases) that food products meant for shelf
storage will last longer in the refrigerator?

All of the above

Most apartment dwellers who cook for only one person don't find cold
storage space inadequate. What are the circumstances that make you
want more? -aem

Convenience. To be able to REALLY stock up and only go
to store once a month
Old 28-07-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

To be able to REALLY stock up and only go
to store once a month

Just because it works for you what makes you think all single guys
need more time alone to spend with their blow up doll.

Old 28-07-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Just because it works for you what makes you think all single guys
need more time alone to spend with their blow up doll.

ha ha

u r foony!
Old 28-07-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Also consider wasted energy costs. It costs a lot to keep all that
stuff cold. If I had the freezer anyway, and if the freezer were
keeping ice cream and ice cubes frozen anyway, and if I used flour only
infrequently, then it would make sense to put the flour in a heavy
plastic airtight bag and keep it in the freezer. But I wouldn't buy a
freezer and plug it in for that purpose. My energy bills would go up,
and for what purpose?

Well the question isn't whether to get something or NOT
get something...... as at the very least I WILL be
getting a small freezer

the question is... whether to get a stand alone freezer
or to get another fridge that will allow extra freezer
space as well as fridge space
Old 28-07-2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

(snip)

However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.

(snip)
=================================

I think perhaps you mean "supplement" (to add to) not "supplant" (to
take the place of).

Besides, many fruits and vegetables may be damaged by refrigeration:
peaches, tomatoes, bananas. potatoes . . .

Lynn in Fargo

why you should refrigerate your tomatoes sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 22-07-2015 02:59 PM
refrigerate meat? Eddie Barbecue 16 26-08-2009 11:53 PM
Refrigerate Tahini ? Dean G. General Cooking 5 17-07-2006 03:52 AM
Have to refrigerate frosting? Crispee General Cooking 8 09-07-2006 10:31 PM
Help! Do you need to refrigerate pecan pie? [email protected] General Cooking 3 25-12-2005 07:05 AM