Rowbotth

Default Freeze & refrigerate flour?

In article . com>,
wrote:

> I have a book on nutrition that says you should freeze flour for 2
> weeks, then keep it in the refrigerater in a tightly sealed jar to
> prevent it from going rancid. Is that true? I kept my corn meal and all
> purpose bleached flour in the their paper bags in the kitchen cabinet
> for a few months more or less and there didn't seem to be anything
> wrong with them.

I have never heard of flour going rancid. Is this maybe a humidity and
temperature rated thing? (I live at about 57 Degrees North and far, far
from large bodies of DHMO. So not much heat 6 months of the year, and
except for wet summers, a place you need humidifiers all year round. I
see a lot of things happen in places like Louisiana to food that will
never happen here, solely due to climate.)

And on the egg thing, I have been buying flour for decades and storing
at room temp. Only once did a 5# bag of flour develop insects, and I
think that was white flour. And that was years ago. I stopped buying
that brand, and the problem has not ever come back. And I will keep
flour maybe a year on a shelf at room temp.

?

H.