Default How do I get large holes in English Muffins

Thanks Mike and George, Yes, my recipe does have both milk and butter.
I have copied the recipe and will try it next time.

George Beasley

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> Regarding those muffins:
> What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
> batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
> separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
> rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut Scottish
> oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.
>
> Dave

The purpose of the cornmeal in this recipe is to prevent the muffins from
sticking to the pan. If you have a heavy non-stick pan, you might try to
eliminate the cornmeal. I think that oatmeal would work too.

Elly

Janet Bostwick

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> Regarding those muffins:
> What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
> batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
> separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
> rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut Scottish
> oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.
>
> Dave

rice flour. Comes in white or brown.

Mike Avery

Dave Bell wrote:

> Regarding those muffins:
> What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
> batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
> separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
> rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
> Scottish oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

Semolina, which is a form of wheat, is a good alternative.

Mike

jimmyjames

> > Regarding those muffins:
> > What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
> > batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
> > separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
> > rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
> > Scottish oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.

> Semolina, which is a form of wheat, is a good alternative.
>
> Mike

I use bread crumbs

Mike Avery

Dave Bell wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:
>

>>Dave Bell wrote:
>>

>>>Regarding those muffins:
>>>What would be a useable substitute for cornmeal, for non-sticking the
>>>batter? I can't eat corn, but some recipes just seem to need the
>>>separation the meal provides. Oats, perhaps? Maybe if I briefly ground
>>>rolled oats in the blender or spice mill? The coarse, steel-cut
>>>Scottish oats seem like they'd be too coarse, as-is.
>>>

>>Semolina, which is a form of wheat, is a good alternative.
>>
>>Mike
>>

>I can tolerate wheat a little better than corn, but try to avoid it.
>This small amount would probably be OK, though.

Usually the English muffins are made of wheat. A little more or less on
the baking surface shouldn't make any real difference.

Mike

Dave Bell

Thanks, Janet! I'll try it out...

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> ea.net...

> >> rice flour. Comes in white or brown.

> > Doesn't get too sticky? That would be perfect for me...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave

> No, it's perfect for non-stick. Just be careful to not use a lot, you just
> want a light dusting, otherwise you get the crunchy feeling in the mouth.
> Use it also for dusting dough that you are putting in baskets or linen to
> rise, it gives great release. If you want the flour markings from the
> basket, sprinkle the basket lightly with the rice flour then regular flour
> over that. I use a small, fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the rice flour
> evenly.
> Janet
> Janet

Dave Bell

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:

> Dave Bell wrote:
>
> >I can tolerate wheat a little better than corn, but try to avoid it.
> >This small amount would probably be OK, though.
> >

> Usually the English muffins are made of wheat. A little more or less on
> the baking surface shouldn't make any real difference.
>
> Mike

Of course - unless I make them myself, with spelt!

Dave
Mike Avery

Dave Bell wrote:

>On Mon, 23 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:
>

>>Dave Bell wrote:
>>

>>>I can tolerate wheat a little better than corn, but try to avoid it.
>>>This small amount would probably be OK, though.
>>>

>>Usually the English muffins are made of wheat. A little more or less on
>>the baking surface shouldn't make any real difference.
>>
>>Mike
>>

>Of course - unless I make them myself, with spelt!

Spelt IS wheat.

It is a primitive wheat, that is tolerated by some people who can't
tolerate modern wheats. However, for many people, it's just wheat. For
people with gluten sensitivities, spelt is a no-no.

I DO wish vita-spelt hadn't used that misleading advertising campaign
touting spelt as a wheat alternative.

Mike

Dave Bell

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:

> Spelt IS wheat.

It might be more accurate to say that what we now call wheat is spelt, or
a descendant of spelt.

> It is a primitive wheat, that is tolerated by some people who can't
> tolerate modern wheats. However, for many people, it's just wheat. For
> people with gluten sensitivities, spelt is a no-no.

And I am one that can tolerate much more spelt than wheat. If I eat enough
of it, or *whole* spelt, I get a similar reaction as from wheat. Still
less severe and shorter duration, though. Case in point: Last night we
were joining a group of friends for a dinner at Chevy's (California
Mexican chain.) Before heading out, I made up a batch of half a dozen
spelt tortillas to bring with me. Ended up pigging out and eating the
entire stack with my habanero steak fajitas, amounting to 1.5 cups of
white spelt flour. *Very* mild reaction, well within my "It was worth it!"
tolerance level...

> I DO wish vita-spelt hadn't used that misleading advertising campaign
> touting spelt as a wheat alternative.
>
> Mike

For some, it is. As usual, each individual is different, and needs to take
responsibility for his own health!

Dave

George, Your recipe is great! I finally finished off the bread I had on
hand and made a batch of English Muffins using your recipe. The muffins
have the larger holes. Thanks a lot. BobbiJo

FREECYCLEMOM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> George, Your recipe is great! I finally finished off the bread I had
> on
> hand and made a batch of English Muffins using your recipe. The
> muffins
> have the larger holes. Thanks a lot. BobbiJo

Me too! Made a 2nd batch yesterday. Thanks!