Dave Berger

Default Advice about terracotta pizza oven

Hello,

I am a first time poster here. I have just moved into a house with an
installed Portuguese pizza / bread oven. This is made out of
terracotta and has no chimney and a cast iron door. Our problem is
that we can't seem to get it working with charcoal without smoking
ourselves out. I am tempted to put a chimney on it and just light a
fire in there.

Is this a bad idea? Any advice?

Thanks,

Dave
Lucy

Hi Dave,
I'm kinda new here too.. I did a newsgroup search on 'food' just before
thanksgiving and found this place, and also rec.food.cooking..
I have no clue about your pizza oven thing.. I just wanted to say welcome.
hehe
lucy

"Dave Berger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I am a first time poster here. I have just moved into a house with an
> installed Portuguese pizza / bread oven. This is made out of
> terracotta and has no chimney and a cast iron door. Our problem is
> that we can't seem to get it working with charcoal without smoking
> ourselves out. I am tempted to put a chimney on it and just light a
> fire in there.
>
> Is this a bad idea? Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

RsH

It is possible that the heat is supplied by a source outside the oven
chamber, either a different chamber that surrounds the oven or is
below the oven and has a different door and does connect to the
chimney, or electric elements built into the floor and walls of the
oven and controlled by a thermostat you have yet to discover.

Indirect heat is the way the Romans built the heating for their bath
houses, or others built their heating in their medieval houses, with
the fire in the outside chimney warming the room on the other side of
the brick wall. If the oven is for use, that would be my best guess.
It may have gas heating somewhere if the house as gas, or it could
have electric elements built into the brickwork under the terra cotta.
See if you can find out who installed the thing, or if the neighbours
know anything about it, or if the prior owners are still around and
can fill you in.

RsH

------------------

On 26 Dec 2004 11:55:33 -0800, (Dave Berger)
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am a first time poster here. I have just moved into a house with an
>installed Portuguese pizza / bread oven. This is made out of
>terracotta and has no chimney and a cast iron door. Our problem is
>that we can't seem to get it working with charcoal without smoking
>ourselves out. I am tempted to put a chimney on it and just light a
>fire in there.
>
>Is this a bad idea? Any advice?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave

R.S. (Bob) Heuman - Toronto, ON, Canada
Independent Computer Security Consulting
Web Site Auditing for Compliance with Standards
> or >
Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!