Old 08-02-2004, 06:10 AM
occupant

Default Kitchenaid Bread Disaster!

JaKe wrote:

Knox Graham wrote:

Hello, All !
I received a Kitchenaid Artisan mixer for my birthday..Oh Boy! Time to make
some bread!

I tried their white bread recipe in the book which comes with the mixer.
Tried it twice, in fact. Both times the loaves were small, heavy, and not
fully cooked in the middle.

The major deviation from my old way of making bread is that they tell you to
roll the dough flat then roll it up to form the loaf. Before, I would simply
punch it down a bit then form the loaves.

I'd sure appreciate some help with this and a recommendation of a good
cookbook with recipes using the Kitchenaid,

Thanks a bunch!

Knox G.

Try posting this over at rec.food.baking

Then get Julia Child's Baking cookbook from the library.

--
JaKe, Seattle
"Feeling is more important than technique"

Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 PM
BRevere

Lots of books will reference the Kitchenaid in their recipes.
Try Bernard Clayton New Complete book of Breads---he gives directions for
mixer (but it is a Kitchenaid--I bet) and processor and by hand.
Also Nancy Silverton, Breads from La brea Bakery.
I think Clayton might be the most simple, but silverton will really hold
your hand the whole way through if you are not daunted by a 3-4 page recipe.
I wonder if your yeast was at fault.
Be sure to use the type yeast they are calling for if you follow the recipe
exactly.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Dan Cordes

I agree that the yeast seems to be the culprit. Did your dough rise at all
during the initial rest period, and before you placed the loaf in the oven?

Dan

news:[email protected]_s52...

Try posting this over at rec.food.baking

Then get Julia Child's Baking cookbook from the library.

--
JaKe, Seattle
"Feeling is more important than technique"
John "Bonzo" Bonham

On Again, Off Again Pot Roast Disaster! Michael Horowitz General Cooking 45 30-01-2007 05:17 PM
Almost a disaster... D.Currie General Cooking 1 12-01-2006 03:17 PM
disaster update Dan Emerson Winemaking 7 20-12-2004 11:32 PM
Disaster Dan Emerson Winemaking 34 04-12-2004 07:02 PM
Kitchenaid Bread Disaster! Knox Graham General Cooking 9 06-02-2004 07:29 AM