Dan Emerson

Default disaster update

Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
this going to be a problem?

Current project, ripping up the floor boards down to the cement
foundation. Jesus what a cock up!

Just whining over spilled wine. Sorry for my pathetic public appeal
for commiseration.

Dan
Tom S

"Dan Emerson" > wrote in message
om...
> Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
> finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
> a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
> the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
> this going to be a problem?

I'd guess not, since wine doesn't support the growth of pathogens. Still,
that's a hell of a mess.

OTOH, it provides justification to build a separate winery/cellaring
facility on the premises. Run that by SWMBO! ;^D

Tom S

Tom S

"Dan Emerson" > wrote in message
om...
> Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
> finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
> a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
> the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
> this going to be a problem?

I'd guess not, since wine doesn't support the growth of pathogens. Still,
that's a hell of a mess.

OTOH, it provides justification to build a separate winery/cellaring
facility on the premises. Run that by SWMBO! ;^D

Tom S

Rob

Dan Emerson wrote:
> Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
> finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
> a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
> the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
> this going to be a problem?
>
> Current project, ripping up the floor boards down to the cement
> foundation. Jesus what a cock up!
>
> Just whining over spilled wine. Sorry for my pathetic public appeal
> for commiseration.
>
> Dan

Are you worried about mold? I don't think it's a problem. I know
there's a whole industry based on deadly mold that's going to spore up
and climb the stairs and strangle the entire family one night, but what
I've read that's not likely unless you live in a very specific area of
Texas. The mold spores have been there forever, you just finally gave
them enough moisture to pop to life.

Dry it out thorougly, Lysol like crazy (or some other disinfectant),
and keep it dry. They'll go back dormant, or die.

Before you worry about the mold too much, you should worry much more
about the 20-something seems-nice-but-a-bit-aloof boarder with a knife
fixation you're renting the basement to. :-)

Rob

Rob

Dan Emerson wrote:
> Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
> finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
> a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
> the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
> this going to be a problem?
>
> Current project, ripping up the floor boards down to the cement
> foundation. Jesus what a cock up!
>
> Just whining over spilled wine. Sorry for my pathetic public appeal
> for commiseration.
>
> Dan

Are you worried about mold? I don't think it's a problem. I know
there's a whole industry based on deadly mold that's going to spore up
and climb the stairs and strangle the entire family one night, but what
I've read that's not likely unless you live in a very specific area of
Texas. The mold spores have been there forever, you just finally gave
them enough moisture to pop to life.

Dry it out thorougly, Lysol like crazy (or some other disinfectant),
and keep it dry. They'll go back dormant, or die.

Before you worry about the mold too much, you should worry much more
about the 20-something seems-nice-but-a-bit-aloof boarder with a knife
fixation you're renting the basement to. :-)

Rob

Rob

Dan Emerson wrote:
> Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
> finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
> a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
> the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
> this going to be a problem?
>
> Current project, ripping up the floor boards down to the cement
> foundation. Jesus what a cock up!
>
> Just whining over spilled wine. Sorry for my pathetic public appeal
> for commiseration.
>
> Dan

Are you worried about mold? I don't think it's a problem. I know
there's a whole industry based on deadly mold that's going to spore up
and climb the stairs and strangle the entire family one night, but what
I've read that's not likely unless you live in a very specific area of
Texas. The mold spores have been there forever, you just finally gave
them enough moisture to pop to life.

Dry it out thorougly, Lysol like crazy (or some other disinfectant),
and keep it dry. They'll go back dormant, or die.

Before you worry about the mold too much, you should worry much more
about the 20-something seems-nice-but-a-bit-aloof boarder with a knife
fixation you're renting the basement to. :-)

Rob

Ray Calvert

"Dan Emerson" > wrote in message
om...
> Just an update to my disaster story. You remember my bursting of a
> finished 54 litre carboy of Cabernet? I tossed the carpet and opened
> a window to let the room air out. Well, mold had started to grow on
> the floorboards. I now have mold spores throughout the house. Is
> this going to be a problem?
>
> Current project, ripping up the floor boards down to the cement
> foundation. Jesus what a cock up!
>
> Just whining over spilled wine. Sorry for my pathetic public appeal
> for commiseration.
>
> Dan

Should not be a problem if you keep airlocks on you carboys. I don't think
it can get to the rest of your wine. Ohhhh, you were worried about the
house.....

Sometimes you house have to get thinks in perspective ;o)

Ray

Dar V

Dan,
After hearing about your current situation, I guess I'm glad I stick with my
little 1 gallon carboys. Although it is a lot of small batches, I don't
take a big hit if something goes not-quite-right. There's stuff out there
that will kill it - bleach. As the previous poster said - dry it out, clean,
and it should be okay. Hang in there, and good luck.
Darlene

disaster pants phaeton General Cooking 2 14-01-2011 04:26 PM
Disaster in the making?? Bill Barbecue 5 02-01-2007 04:07 AM
Almost a disaster... D.Currie General Cooking 1 12-01-2006 04:17 PM
My New Years Disaster RMiller General Cooking 11 02-01-2005 09:26 PM
Disaster Dan Emerson Winemaking 34 04-12-2004 08:02 PM