Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default On Again, Off Again Pot Roast Disaster!

I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:22:54 -0500, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
>What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

Did you see the picture that goes along with the recipe from the web
site?
That is what it is supposed to look like. Did you follow the recipe
exactly?

Mine has never scorched and burned, if the recipe is followed. And up
here, at 6500 feet altitude, I have to cook it longer. Still doesn't
burn.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:22:54 -0500, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
>What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

Well, for starters.... it burned because you ran out of liquid. Did
you keep the lid on? What was the oven set at and how many hours did
you cook it? You won't be cheating if you check the level of liquid
every now and then.

Try it again. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

====
I cook my pot roasts on top of the stove and not in the oven. I constantly
have to check the pot to make sure the pan does not run out of liquid. The
meat will burn if the liquid runs dry. I keep a cover on the pot. I keep
an approximate 1-1/2 - 2 inches of liquid in the bottom of the pan. I
always add a little water each time it evaporates. The pot roast should be
cooked very slowly for along time over a low simmering heat. I rotate the
meat every 30 minutes or so. I usually cook it for about three to four
hours.
Since I have never cooked a pot roast in the oven, I don't know the
requirements for that type of cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:24:56 GMT, "pfoley" >
wrote:

>"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
>> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

>====
>I cook my pot roasts on top of the stove and not in the oven.

>Since I have never cooked a pot roast in the oven, I don't know the
>requirements for that type of cooking.

This is a particular recipe:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/C...t%20Roast.html

The onions in the recipe provide a lot of liquid/moisture..and I have
never had it go dry. The only way I can imagine it might be too dry
is if the cover is not on to start with, and is only on during the
middle of the cooking. If it is done that way then yes, there might
be a chance of scorching..

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 6:22 pm, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

I don't know what you are shooting for but try a crock pot.

Sirlon Tip Roast
Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup
Pack of Brown Gravy mix
Quarter pack of dry Onion Soup mix.

6 hours on low

Idiot proof.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> On Jan 21, 6:22 pm, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
>> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

> I don't know what you are shooting for but try a crock pot.
>
> Sirlon Tip Roast
> Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup
> Pack of Brown Gravy mix
> Quarter pack of dry Onion Soup mix.
>
> 6 hours on low
>
> Idiot proof.

That may be a bit too salty for some tastes because of the large amount
of salt in the soup mix and soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote

> Terry wrote:

>> I don't know what you are shooting for but try a crock pot.
>>
>> Sirlon Tip Roast
>> Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup
>> Pack of Brown Gravy mix
>> Quarter pack of dry Onion Soup mix.
>>
>> 6 hours on low
>>
>> Idiot proof.

> That may be a bit too salty for some tastes because of the large amount of
> salt in the soup mix and soup.

And again, sirloin anything does *not* say pot roast to me.

Okay, sirloin anything doesn't say dinner to me, either, but that's
me. Still seems a really bad cut for pot roast.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "George" > wrote
>
>> Terry wrote:

>>> I don't know what you are shooting for but try a crock pot.
>>>
>>> Sirlon Tip Roast
>>> Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup
>>> Pack of Brown Gravy mix
>>> Quarter pack of dry Onion Soup mix.
>>>
>>> 6 hours on low
>>>
>>> Idiot proof.

>> That may be a bit too salty for some tastes because of the large amount of
>> salt in the soup mix and soup.

> And again, sirloin anything does *not* say pot roast to me.
>
> Okay, sirloin anything doesn't say dinner to me, either, but that's
> me. Still seems a really bad cut for pot roast.
>
> nancy

Missed that part. Agree that other cuts (such as chuck) would be more
suitable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 9:13 am, George > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

> >> That may be a bit too salty for some tastes because of the large amount of
> >> salt in the soup mix and soup.

> > And again, sirloin anything does *not* say pot roast to me.

> > Okay, sirloin anything doesn't say dinner to me, either, but that's
> > me. Still seems a really bad cut for pot roast.

> > nancy

> Missed that part. Agree that other cuts (such as chuck) would be more
> suitable

The main reason for my suggestion was to use a crock pot instead of the
stove. It turns out perfect everytime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

Thanks for the responses; I followed the Margaret Fox recipe.
Somehow my version of the recipe shows 360^ (I thought that odd).
Would that have had much of an affect?
I browned it in seasoned flour first; would that have had an effect? -
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Well, for starters.... it burned because you ran out of liquid. >

Covered for the first hour.
Open for second.
Covered for third.
Lots of liquid during the middle third, but it all apparently boiled
away.
Beef broth to replace liquid? how much liquid should remain just prior
to third phase? - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> sf wrote:
>

>> Well, for starters.... it burned because you ran out of liquid. >
>>

> Covered for the first hour.
> Open for second.
> Covered for third.
> Lots of liquid during the middle third, but it all apparently boiled
> away.
> Beef broth to replace liquid? how much liquid should remain just prior
> to third phase? - Mike

Why are you doing all this covering and uncovering?

For perfect pot roast, brown it well on top of the stove on
high heat in a bit of oil. Put in maybe a cup of water and cover;
reduce heat to a single-bubble simmer and do not disturb
it for two hours. Then put in your vegetables, bring it up to
a boil again (the meat itself produces liquid to add to the cup
you added) and, again, reduce to the lowes possible simmer.
At the end of an hour, it will all be perfect. That's 3 hours total
braising time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:48:44 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
ups.com...

>> sf wrote:
>>

>>> Well, for starters.... it burned because you ran out of liquid. >
>>>

>> Covered for the first hour.
>> Open for second.
>> Covered for third.

>Why are you doing all this covering and uncovering?

Because that is the method of this pot roast. I have been fixing this
pot roast for ages now...and before that, it came from Margaret Fox,
who says her mother fixed it this way.

It works well. Damsel can attest to this method.
Try it sometime.

There is more than one way to fix a pot roast.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:48:44 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>>> Covered for the first hour.
>>> Open for second.
>>> Covered for third.

>>Why are you doing all this covering and uncovering?

> Because that is the method of this pot roast. I have been fixing this
> pot roast for ages now...and before that, it came from Margaret Fox,
> who says her mother fixed it this way.
>
> It works well. Damsel can attest to this method.
> Try it sometime.
>
> There is more than one way to fix a pot roast.

I bet there is! However, the OP's is not turning out with this method, and
mine turns out great with mine. It was just a suggestion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:50:09 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>> There is more than one way to fix a pot roast.
>>

>I bet there is! However, the OP's is not turning out with this method, and
>mine turns out great with mine. It was just a suggestion.

Well..it might work for him, if he really followed the instructions.
However, he says he is following the recipe..but the recipe doesn't
say to flour it and brown it first.

I would suggest to him to try the recipe exactly as written
first..then get back to us.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

You don't say exactly what recipe you used or what cut of beef. There are
worlds and worlds of difference.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:12:38 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Michael Horowitz wrote:
>> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
>> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

>You don't say exactly what recipe you used or what cut of beef. There are
>worlds and worlds of difference.
>
>Jill

Yes he did. He did my recipe, of which the title is in the topic. The
On Again, Off Again Pot roast. It's under my signature recipes on the
rfc website.
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/C...t%20Roast.html

If he wanted to achieve the results I get with that recipe, he needs
to follow this recipe.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Terry wrote:
> On Jan 21, 6:22 pm, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> > I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
> > What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

> I don't know what you are shooting for but try a crock pot.
>
> Sirlon Tip Roast
> Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup
> Pack of Brown Gravy mix
> Quarter pack of dry Onion Soup mix.
>
> 6 hours on low
>
> Idiot proof.

Sounds like Salty Hell in a Pot to me. Skip the cram of whatever soup
and the pre-packaged seasonings, brown your meat first, add some
carrots and onions, a cup of chicken broth, a cup of white wine,
rosemary, allspice (just a bit), some tomatoes of some sort (just a
bit) and a shit load of garlic and papper. Cook on low 8 hours.
Thicken the sauce with flour or cornstarch. Delightful.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:12:38 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>>Michael Horowitz wrote:
>>> I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
>>> What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

>>You don't say exactly what recipe you used or what cut of beef. There are
>>worlds and worlds of difference.
>>
>>Jill
>>

> Yes he did. He did my recipe, of which the title is in the topic. The
> On Again, Off Again Pot roast. It's under my signature recipes on the
> rfc website.
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/C...t%20Roast.html

You keep posting this.

It looks absolutely AWFUL.

Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.

But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:

> You keep posting this.
>
> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
>
> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>
> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary. I will
bet it tastes incredible.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Jan 2007 22:39:58 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>>
>> You keep posting this.
>>
>> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
>>
>> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>>
>> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

>It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary. I will
>bet it tastes incredible.
>
>-L.

Yes, it does. Rich, incredible beef flavor.

The poster that had problems with this didn't follow the recipe. If
he had, he would have had one of the best pot roasts around.

The simplicity of the preparation belies how good it turns out. The
picture isn't the best, I admit. Sometimes brown foods don't
photograph that well and make the dish look awful. I took what feels
like a gazillion pictures of it, hoping to get one decent one for the
web page. That one was the best.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ps.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> You keep posting this.
>>
>> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
>>
>> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>>
>> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

> It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary.

No, it's the dried and scorched looking tomatoey looking crap on the sides
of the dish. And the sludge-like appearance of the broth/gravy/sauce. And
the lack of vegetables. AND the abundance of garlic. I find the idea of
garlic in pot roast revolting.

>I will
> bet it tastes incredible.

I'm not taking that bet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >>
> >> You keep posting this.
> >>
> >> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
> >>
> >> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
> >>
> >> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

> > It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary.

> No, it's the dried and scorched looking tomatoey looking crap on the sides
> of the dish.

Oh, but that scorched stuff tastes goooood!

> And the sludge-like appearance of the broth/gravy/sauce. And
> the lack of vegetables. AND the abundance of garlic. I find the idea of
> garlic in pot roast revolting.

Really? Man, I put garlic in all my pot roast!

> >I will
> > bet it tastes incredible.
> >

> I'm not taking that bet.

LOL...Well, Christine did me right by turning me on to the Marcella
Hazan roasted lemon chicken. I'm betting the lady knows her food.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Yes, it does. Rich, incredible beef flavor.
>
> The poster that had problems with this didn't follow the recipe. If
> he had, he would have had one of the best pot roasts around.
>
> The simplicity of the preparation belies how good it turns out. The
> picture isn't the best, I admit. Sometimes brown foods don't
> photograph that well and make the dish look awful. I took what feels
> like a gazillion pictures of it, hoping to get one decent one for the
> web page. That one was the best.

Some things just don't photograph well. I took some photos of some
awesome mushroom bolognaise I made, while it was simmering. DH loaded
it onto the wrong file and it came up as one of his screen savers at
work. One of his co-workers saw it and said "Eeew! What's that!" and
he had to explain why he had a shot of icky-looking pasta sauce on his
computer.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote

>> I'm not taking that bet.

> LOL...Well, Christine did me right by turning me on to the Marcella
> Hazan roasted lemon chicken. I'm betting the lady knows her food.

I am not challenging that, not at all. But ... either I need to taste this
pot roast or she needs a new picture!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L.wrote:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it does. Rich, incredible beef flavor.
> >
> > The poster that had problems with this didn't follow the recipe. If
> > he had, he would have had one of the best pot roasts around.
> >
> > The simplicity of the preparation belies how good it turns out. The
> > picture isn't the best, I admit. Sometimes brown foods don't
> > photograph that well and make the dish look awful. I took what feels
> > like a gazillion pictures of it, hoping to get one decent one for the
> > web page. That one was the best.

> Some things just don't photograph well. I took some photos of some
> awesome mushroom bolognaise I made, while it was simmering. DH loaded
> it onto the wrong file and it came up as one of his screen savers at
> work. One of his co-workers saw it and said "Eeew! What's that!" and
> he had to explain why he had a shot of icky-looking pasta sauce on his
> computer.

He should have told them that it was simply a pic of yer menses...heehee...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Christine Dabney" wrote:
> >>
> >>You don't say exactly what recipe you used or what cut of beef. There are
> >>worlds and worlds of difference.
> >>
> >>Jill
> >>

> > Yes he did. He did my recipe, of which the title is in the topic. The
> > On Again, Off Again Pot roast. It's under my signature recipes on the
> > rfc website.
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/C...t%20Roast.html
> >

> You keep posting this.
>
> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
>
> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>
> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

It does look disgusting, looks like someone took a wicked sick dump in
a pot, only much worse... talk about food porn. And that's not a
recipe for pot roast, not even close... in fact it's not a recipe....
looks like a cremation for road kill that went bad.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On 22 Jan 2007 22:39:58 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>>It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary. I will
>>bet it tastes incredible.

> Yes, it does. Rich, incredible beef flavor.

Christine is trustworthy, if she posts a recipe for some dish I
enjoy and doesn't put, say, turnips in it, I wouldn't hesitate to
try it.

> The poster that had problems with this didn't follow the recipe. If
> he had, he would have had one of the best pot roasts around.

OP, after your first disaster, why wouldn't you just follow the
recipe word for word? Then strike out on your own.

> The simplicity of the preparation belies how good it turns out. The
> picture isn't the best, I admit. Sometimes brown foods don't
> photograph that well and make the dish look awful. I took what feels
> like a gazillion pictures of it, hoping to get one decent one for the
> web page. That one was the best.

Some foods don't photograph well. For instance, it was in the news
last week about a $200 baked potato at Four Seasons in NYC. Okay,
it was $200 worth of shaved white truffles, they throw in the potato for
free. Harrrr. Anyway, for all I know it tasted incredible but it looked
like crap I'd throw out.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:39:23 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:12:38 -0600, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>>You don't say exactly what recipe you used or what cut of beef. There are
>>>worlds and worlds of difference.
>>>
>>>Jill
>>>

>> Yes he did. He did my recipe, of which the title is in the topic. The
>> On Again, Off Again Pot roast. It's under my signature recipes on the
>> rfc website.
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/C...t%20Roast.html
>>

>You keep posting this.
>
>It looks absolutely AWFUL.
>
>Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>
>But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

Your loss. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy Christine's efforts in
my own home (cook-ins). She is a fabulous cook. I would try any
recipe she recommends. I've not yet tried this one (haven't had the
opp), but undoubtedly will do before this alleged-winter season ends.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Terry wrote:
> > On Jan 21, 6:22 pm, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> > > I tried subject recipe from the NG; scorched and burned disaster.
> > > What's it supposed to look like when taken out? - Mike

> > I don't know what you are shooting for but try a crock pot.
> >
> > Sirlon Tip Roast
> > Cream of Mushroom or Celery soup
> > Pack of Brown Gravy mix
> > Quarter pack of dry Onion Soup mix.
> >
> > 6 hours on low
> >
> > Idiot proof.

> Sounds like Salty Hell in a Pot to me. Skip the cram of whatever soup
> and the pre-packaged seasonings, brown your meat first, add some
> carrots and onions, a cup of chicken broth, a cup of white wine,
> rosemary, allspice (just a bit), some tomatoes of some sort (just a
> bit) and a shit load of garlic and papper. Cook on low 8 hours.
> Thicken the sauce with flour or cornstarch. Delightful.
>
> -L.

I do SO agree...
I thicken drippings with arrowroot tho'.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:12:38 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > > wrote:

> >>You don't say exactly what recipe you used or what cut of beef. There are
> >>worlds and worlds of difference.
> >>
> >>Jill
> >>

> > Yes he did. He did my recipe, of which the title is in the topic. The
> > On Again, Off Again Pot roast. It's under my signature recipes on the
> > rfc website.
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/C...in%2C%20Off%20
> > Again%20Pot%20Roast.html
> >

> You keep posting this.
>
> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
>
> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>
> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

Doesn't look any worse than many of my potroasts look in the pot. ;-)
The plated shots always look better! She oughta post one of those...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2007 22:39:58 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>

> >cybercat wrote:
> >>
> >> You keep posting this.
> >>
> >> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
> >>
> >> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
> >>
> >> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

> >It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary. I will
> >bet it tastes incredible.
> >
> >-L.

> Yes, it does. Rich, incredible beef flavor.
>
> The poster that had problems with this didn't follow the recipe. If
> he had, he would have had one of the best pot roasts around.
>
> The simplicity of the preparation belies how good it turns out. The
> picture isn't the best, I admit. Sometimes brown foods don't
> photograph that well and make the dish look awful. I took what feels
> like a gazillion pictures of it, hoping to get one decent one for the
> web page. That one was the best.
>
> Christine

Take a plated shot hon.

Seriously.

This is a perfect example. Pork pot roast in the pot is none too pretty
either:

http://tinypic.com/21n1mh4.jpg

Then plated with everything separated, prior to topping with thickened
gravy:

http://tinypic.com/21n1n9t.jpg

It was delicious. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "-L." > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >>
> >> You keep posting this.
> >>
> >> It looks absolutely AWFUL.
> >>
> >> Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
> >>
> >> But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

> > It's the yellow onions on top that make it look a little scary.

> No, it's the dried and scorched looking tomatoey looking crap on the sides
> of the dish. And the sludge-like appearance of the broth/gravy/sauce. And
> the lack of vegetables. AND the abundance of garlic. I find the idea of
> garlic in pot roast revolting.
>
> >I will
> > bet it tastes incredible.
> >

> I'm not taking that bet.

Ooh hon', you've never done a "stabbed" pot roast?
I do it all the time with pork now to eliminate that "musty" flavor that
chilled pork roast tends to get.

Works with beef too!

Prior to roasting, stab the meat deeply about every 1 square inch.
Stuff a sliver (not a whole clove, just a slice of clove) of garlic into
each and every stab.

Cook as usual from there.

The garlic mellows out in the meat and the holes allow more herbal
flavorings to soak into the meat. I like to use fresh herbs when I do
this.

Also works with a dry roast. Top with fresh herbs then cover lightly
with bok choy or cabbage leaves to keep the herbs from drying out during
roasting. Remove said leaves and herbals a bit before finishing to get a
crust on the roast.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:58:59 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"-L." > wrote
>>>
>>> I'm not taking that bet.

>> LOL...Well, Christine did me right by turning me on to the Marcella
>> Hazan roasted lemon chicken. I'm betting the lady knows her food.
>>

>I am not challenging that, not at all. But ... either I need to taste this
>pot roast or she needs a new picture!

Damsel has also said this is the best pot roast she has had. She does
add carrots and potatoes the last hour of cooking, and there is no
reason why you couldn't as well..

But..if you try this roast, try it exactly as written. If you try to
add some other step in it, such as the OP did (with flouring and
browning the meat beforehand) don't come to me complaining that it was
horrible and ruined.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:36:47 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:

Sometimes brown foods don't
>> photograph that well and make the dish look awful. I took what feels
>> like a gazillion pictures of it, hoping to get one decent one for the
>> web page.

>Take a plated shot hon.
>
>Seriously.

Listen, to any of you are taking swipes at my picture.
If any of you want to make my pot roast recipe (as it is written) and
take a much better picture of it, be my guest. And if you do, I would
be delighted to have such picture posted as the companion to the
recipe.

By the way, the recipe comes from a cook I truly respect, Margaret Fox
of Cafe Beaujolais. She had an incredible little restaurant in
Mendocino, CA. I ate there several times, and the food was always
wonderful. I had gotten the book, The Cafe Beaujolais Coobkook before
I ever went there, and was eager to try the restaurant. I was not
disappointed.
There is another recipe in the book which was a standard on her menu:
Chinese Chicken Salad. I had the salad at the restaurant the first
time I went there, and then came home and made it from the recipe in
the book. It was the same as when I had it at the restaurant. I
think that is a sign of a good cookbook, that a recipe's quality CAN
be duplicated in a home kitchen.
My Boned Roast Leg of Lamb also comes from that book. It is hands
down, one of the best lamb recipes I have ever had.

Roast Boned Leg of Lamb
from the Cafe Beaujolais cookbook

1 leg of lamb (about 4 pounds with bone, about 3 1/2 pounds without),
boned,
trimmed of fat and at room temperature
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
6 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dried rosemary)
2 tsp Herbes de Provence or dried basid and thyme
1/8 teaspoon freshly and finely ground black pepper
1 cup dry Marsala or Madeira (I like to use Madeira)
3 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into teaspoon sized pieces

In the bowl of a food processor, place butter, garlic, rosemary,
Herbes de
Provence and pepper. Blend thoroughly and then smear this mixture
all over the
inside of the leg. Roll and tie the lamb. (This can be done hours
ahead of time: I just take it out in time to let it come closer to
room temperature before roasting)

Roast at 375 degrees for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Meat is done (rare)
when temperature is about 135 degrees. Remove
roast from oven and wrap in foil.

Degrease contents of roasting pan and place the remaining juices in a
pan with
Marsala or Madeira, chicken stock, more rosemary, salt, and pepper. (
I use the
same pan I cooked the lamb in.) Boil over medium heat until reduced
by 2/3 and
thickened. Strain.

Remove lamb from foil and add strained juices to the reduction. Cut
lamb into
thin slices. Whisk butter with lamb juice and reduction over medium
heat. It
will become an emulsion. Dribble sauce over lamb and serve on warmed
plates.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >Take a plated shot hon.
> >
> >Seriously.

> Listen, to any of you are taking swipes at my picture.
> If any of you want to make my pot roast recipe (as it is written) and
> take a much better picture of it, be my guest. And if you do, I would
> be delighted to have such picture posted as the companion to the
> recipe.

And here I was trying to be seriously helpful, to the point of even
offering a horrible shot of one of _my_ pot roasts.

<sigh>

Try to help out.......
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:38:57 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:37:55 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:39:23 -0500, "cybercat" >
>>wrote:

>>>Granted, some really bad looking food is very tasty.
>>>
>>>But I will not be trying this recipe any time soon.

>>Your loss. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy Christine's efforts in
>>my own home (cook-ins). She is a fabulous cook. I would try any
>>recipe she recommends. I've not yet tried this one (haven't had the
>>opp), but undoubtedly will do before this alleged-winter season ends.
>>
>>TammyM

>You are so sweet, Tammy..
>I have my share of disasters...but thankfully most of them are when I
>am alone and not serving them to folks.
>
>Others have tried my food too, with Koko and Charliam being among
>them. And some other folks I really respect. I got no complaints
>from those folks.
>
>Christine

I am humbled and honored that a cook of your caliber would site me as
a testament to your abilities. And I get mentioned with Charliam, WOW!
I sure miss him.

Your abilities are unquestioned among those who have had the privilege
of cooking with you.
One thing I noticed about you is the sheer joy you exude in the
process. I love the picture that was taken when we were filling your
squash blossoms at one of the cookins (sorry, can't remember which
one)

I am so looking forward to cooking with you again this fall. DH and I
were talking about it just the other day.

Koko

New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)

Disaster in the making?? Bill Barbecue 5 02-01-2007 04:07 AM
Almost a disaster... D.Currie General Cooking 1 12-01-2006 04:17 PM
Dreaming up Disaster! Andy General Cooking 21 26-05-2005 09:29 PM
My New Years Disaster RMiller General Cooking 0 02-01-2005 01:28 AM
Disaster Dan Emerson Winemaking 34 04-12-2004 08:02 PM