Old 15-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Gina *

Default White Soy Sauce????

I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA

~~~Gina~~~

Old 16-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Musashi

"Gina *" wrote in message
I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA

~~~Gina~~~

White Soy in Japan (shiro Shouyu) has less soybean relative to wheat whereas
the dark regular
soy sauce has more soybean.
I have tasted Kikkoman white soysauce and to me, it tasted like salty water.
I have never tasted any really "good" white soy sauce.

Old 16-10-2003, 06:04 PM
James Silverton

"Musashi" wrote in message
om...

"Gina *" wrote in message
I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA

~~~Gina~~~

White Soy in Japan (shiro Shouyu) has less soybean relative to wheat

whereas
the dark regular
soy sauce has more soybean.
I have tasted Kikkoman white soysauce and to me, it tasted like salty

water.
I have never tasted any really "good" white soy sauce.

I can't really judge how "good" it is but I suspect that "White" soy sauce
is the same thing as "Light" soy sauce. The latter is a light brown in
color, far from white! Because it obviously does not give as dark a color,
Light Soy Sauce is often recommended for making the ginger salad dressings
used by restaurants like the Benihana chain.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old 16-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Musashi

"James Silverton" wrote in message

"Musashi" wrote in message
om...

"Gina *" wrote in message
[...]

No, lite soy sauce (usu-kuchi shouyu) is different from white soy sauce
(shiro shouyu).
The white soy sauce is basically clear.

Old 16-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Gina *

I thank everyone for taking the time to reply. Now that I have the name,
I am certain that someplace in my immediate area sells it. ;-)

~~~Gina~~~

Old 16-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I thank everyone for taking the time to reply. Now that I have the name,
I am certain that someplace in my immediate area sells it. ;-)

~~~Gina~~~

If you can't find it locally, Corti Brothers in Sacramento carries it.
They do mail order. Their address and phone number a

5810 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95819-4610
(916) 736-3800

I don't think Corti Brothers has a web site.

--
- Jeff Lichtman

http://swazoo.com/

Making a White Sauce Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 150 27-10-2016 12:23 AM
White BBQ sauce Nonny Barbecue 5 25-10-2009 04:34 AM
White BBQ sauce Brick[_3_] Barbecue 0 25-10-2009 04:11 AM
White Barbecue Sauce [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 04-08-2004 12:49 PM
OK, I tried the white sauce... Jack Curry Barbecue 2 25-02-2004 11:19 PM