FoodBanter.com

-   Asian Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/)
-   -   White Soy Sauce???? (https://www.foodbanter.com/asian-cooking/20829-white-soy-sauce.html)

Gina * 15-10-2003 06:12 PM

White Soy Sauce????

I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA

~~~Gina~~~

MB 15-10-2003 06:49 PM

White Soy Sauce????

> From: (Gina *)
> Subject: White Soy Sauce????
>
> I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
> for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA
>
> ~~~Gina~~~

I do not know if there is such soy sauce(white soy sauce) in any other
countries in Asia, but at least there is one in Japan.
It is called "Shiro Shouyu" in Japanese.
For many dishes which do not want any darkening colour added to, this white
soy sauce would be used.
I would say that this sauce has got beautiful amber colour and
tastes sweet as the ratio of soy beans and wheat is 1 : 9 to brew.
I have a jar of in white soy sauce pickled garlic cloves. This is a great
accompaniment for freshly steamed rice. Oh my, I can eat 5 bowls of rice
with this!!!
MB

Sister Mary Mary Quite Contrary 15-10-2003 09:50 PM

White Soy Sauce????

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:12:06 -0400 (EDT) (Gina *)
wrote:

>I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
>for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA

In Thai cooking white soy (litteral translation) is the light brown thin
soy sauce, salty but not a strong soy taste. Black soy is the thick dark
and sometimes sweet sauce with a strong soy taste.

Sister Mary, Mary Quite Contrary, OPI
mmqc @ convent.opi

Musashi 16-10-2003 04:05 PM

White Soy Sauce????

"Gina *" > wrote in message
> I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
> for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA
>
> ~~~Gina~~~

White Soy in Japan (shiro Shouyu) has less soybean relative to wheat whereas
the dark regular
soy sauce has more soybean.
I have tasted Kikkoman white soysauce and to me, it tasted like salty water.
I have never tasted any really "good" white soy sauce.

James Silverton 16-10-2003 06:04 PM

White Soy Sauce????

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> "Gina *" > wrote in message
> > I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
> > for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA
> >
> > ~~~Gina~~~

> White Soy in Japan (shiro Shouyu) has less soybean relative to wheat

whereas
> the dark regular
> soy sauce has more soybean.
> I have tasted Kikkoman white soysauce and to me, it tasted like salty

water.
> I have never tasted any really "good" white soy sauce.

I can't really judge how "good" it is but I suspect that "White" soy sauce
is the same thing as "Light" soy sauce. The latter is a light brown in
color, far from white! Because it obviously does not give as dark a color,
Light Soy Sauce is often recommended for making the ginger salad dressings
used by restaurants like the Benihana chain.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Musashi 16-10-2003 07:02 PM

White Soy Sauce????

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Gina *" > wrote in message
> > > I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
> > > for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA
> > >
> > > ~~~Gina~~~

> > White Soy in Japan (shiro Shouyu) has less soybean relative to wheat

> whereas
> > the dark regular
> > soy sauce has more soybean.
> > I have tasted Kikkoman white soysauce and to me, it tasted like salty

> water.
> > I have never tasted any really "good" white soy sauce.
> >

> I can't really judge how "good" it is but I suspect that "White" soy sauce
> is the same thing as "Light" soy sauce. The latter is a light brown in
> color, far from white! Because it obviously does not give as dark a color,
> Light Soy Sauce is often recommended for making the ginger salad dressings
> used by restaurants like the Benihana chain.
>

> --
> James V. Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

No, lite soy sauce (usu-kuchi shouyu) is different from white soy sauce
(shiro shouyu).
The white soy sauce is basically clear.

Gina * 16-10-2003 07:53 PM

White Soy Sauce????

I thank everyone for taking the time to reply. Now that I have the name,
I am certain that someplace in my immediate area sells it. ;-)

~~~Gina~~~

Jeffrey Lichtman 16-10-2003 11:41 PM

White Soy Sauce????

> I thank everyone for taking the time to reply. Now that I have the name,
> I am certain that someplace in my immediate area sells it. ;-)
>
> ~~~Gina~~~

If you can't find it locally, Corti Brothers in Sacramento carries it.
They do mail order. Their address and phone number a

5810 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95819-4610
(916) 736-3800

I don't think Corti Brothers has a web site.

--
- Jeff Lichtman

http://swazoo.com/