James Silverton

Default White Soy Sauce????

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> "Gina *" > wrote in message
> > I have a recipe calling for "white soy sauce." Is there another name
> > for this? A misprint?? Inquiring minds, etc., etc. TIA
> >
> > ~~~Gina~~~

> White Soy in Japan (shiro Shouyu) has less soybean relative to wheat

whereas
> the dark regular
> soy sauce has more soybean.
> I have tasted Kikkoman white soysauce and to me, it tasted like salty

water.
> I have never tasted any really "good" white soy sauce.

I can't really judge how "good" it is but I suspect that "White" soy sauce
is the same thing as "Light" soy sauce. The latter is a light brown in
color, far from white! Because it obviously does not give as dark a color,
Light Soy Sauce is often recommended for making the ginger salad dressings
used by restaurants like the Benihana chain.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA