Question about frozen rhubarb

Old 29-10-2005, 12:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Question about frozen rhubarb

Not a big pie maker but I have some frozen rhubard. Do I need to thaw
it out before putting it in a pie before it hits the oven? Thanks.
Old 29-10-2005, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Fri 28 Oct 2005 04:38:39p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Not a big pie maker but I have some frozen rhubard. Do I need to thaw
it out before putting it in a pie before it hits the oven? Thanks.

Well, several comments on that. You don't really have to thaw it, although
you will probably have to adjust the baking time. Be prepared to shield the
crust from over-browning. The filling should be bubbling a bit when it's
done. When I've bought frozen rhubarb, I've found that the pieces were too
big for my liking. I let it partially thaw and then cut it in thinner slices
before mixing the filling.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright **
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Old 29-10-2005, 07:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Ophelia" wrote in message
news

I freeze the rhubarb I grow myself so I can't comment on commercially
frozen rhubarb, but I wouldn't put mine in a colander. The liquid coming
off it is not water but juice. I put mine in a pan and cook it down a
bit.
Hey Ophelia.

I've heard of that technique before. (From the pastry bible?) AIR, you can
sugar the fruit and then let it drain in a strainer into a bowl. Cook down
the sugary liquid and your pie will cook faster, be less soupy, the fruit
won't turn to mush, and the bottom crust will thank you. (Sounds a little
like Wayne's trick with pumpkin pie that I'd also like to try sometime.)

Pablo
(Who's thinking about the frozen rhubarb in his freezer.)

Old 29-10-2005, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"pablo" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
news

I freeze the rhubarb I grow myself so I can't comment on commercially
frozen rhubarb, but I wouldn't put mine in a colander. The liquid
coming off it is not water but juice. I put mine in a pan and cook
it down a bit.

Hey Ophelia.

I've heard of that technique before. (From the pastry bible?) AIR,
you can sugar the fruit and then let it drain in a strainer into a
bowl. Cook down the sugary liquid and your pie will cook faster, be
less soupy, the fruit won't turn to mush, and the bottom crust will
thank you. (Sounds a little like Wayne's trick with pumpkin pie that
I'd also like to try sometime.)

Pablo
(Who's thinking about the frozen rhubarb in his freezer.)

Thanks Pablo) sounds like a good idea