Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Default Barb's rhubarb Cake Question???

I got a fancy smancy tube cake pan...would this work with the Cake or
is the custard likely to stick to it?

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 215 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Monsur Fromage du
Pollet > wrote:

> I got a fancy smancy tube cake pan...would this work with the Cake or
> is the custard likely to stick to it?

I wouldn't. How would you get it out? Invert it? And I think the
baking time would be really wild. Eeeww. I serve it from the pan
rather than inverting to another serving plate. Seems I tried it once
and rhubarb-custard stuff stuck to the pan. Bad idea.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 07 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >, Monsur
> Fromage du Pollet > wrote:
>
> > I got a fancy smancy tube cake pan...would this work with the
> > Cake or is the custard likely to stick to it?

> I wouldn't. How would you get it out? Invert it? And I think
> the baking time would be really wild. Eeeww. I serve it from
> the pan rather than inverting to another serving plate. Seems I
> tried it once and rhubarb-custard stuff stuck to the pan. Bad
> idea.

That's what I thought...but I had to ask. Woulda looked glorious if it
woulda worked.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 215 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
sf

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:38:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Monsur Fromage du
> Pollet > wrote:
>
> > I got a fancy smancy tube cake pan...would this work with the Cake or
> > is the custard likely to stick to it?

> I wouldn't. How would you get it out? Invert it?

Do you have the recipe somewhere on your web site?

Frankly, that rubarb cake idea has never appealed to me, but all of a
sudden I can't wait for rubarb to be in season!
Damsel

sf > said:

>Do you have the recipe somewhere on your web site?

Barb's gonna give you some hell. It's been posted about a dozen times in
the past month. LOL!!! But it's well worth the bandwidth.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb Custard Cake

Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes desserts
fruits

1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the cake
batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the whipping cream
(unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake
springs back when lightly touched.

Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer. Makes
1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

Source:
"Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 258 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat);
2g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 37mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at least
2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out about a
half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar, and
cream.

Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake
±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:

FREECYCLE MOM

I wonder if replacing some of the sugar with splenda would work?

Mompeagram

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> sf > said:
>
>>Do you have the recipe somewhere on your web site?

> Barb's gonna give you some hell. It's been posted about a dozen
> times in
> the past month. LOL!!! But it's well worth the bandwidth.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Rhubarb Custard Cake
>
> Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
> Categories : cakes desserts
> fruits

> 1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
> 4 cups chopped rhubarb
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups
>
> Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn
> into
> greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of
> the cake
> batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the
> whipping cream
> (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until
> cake
> springs back when lightly touched.
>
> Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer.
> Makes
> 1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.
>
> Source:
> "Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per serving: 258 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (44% calories from
> fat);
> 2g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 37mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
> 2 1/2
> Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates
>
> NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at
> least
> 2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out
> about a
> half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar,
> and
> cream.
>
> Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan;
> bake
> ±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)
>

> --
> CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
> United States:
> http://www.stopthehunger.com/
> International:
> http://www.thehungersite.com/

21Twelve

sf wrote:

> Frankly, that rubarb cake idea has never appealed to me, but all of a
> sudden I can't wait for rubarb to be in season!

I made it with frozen mixed berries (thawed) instead of the rhubarb and
people damn near trampled me to get seconds.

Good stuff.

Davil
Melissa

21Twelve wrote:
> sf wrote:
>

> > Frankly, that rubarb cake idea has never appealed to me, but all of a
> > sudden I can't wait for rubarb to be in season!

> I made it with frozen mixed berries (thawed) instead of the rhubarb and
> people damn near trampled me to get seconds.
>
> Good stuff.
>

> Davil

I've also made it with frozen (thawed) cranberries with excellent
results.
Melissa

sf

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:05:47 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> It's been posted about a dozen times in the past month.

yeah, I know... but where is it on her web site???

sf

On 8 Jun 2005 15:58:14 -0700, Melissa wrote:

> I've also made it with frozen (thawed) cranberries with excellent
> results.

I LOVE cranberries... great idea!
sd

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, Monsur Fromage du
> Pollet > wrote:
>
> > I got a fancy smancy tube cake pan...would this work with the Cake or
> > is the custard likely to stick to it?

> I wouldn't. How would you get it out? Invert it? And I think the
> baking time would be really wild. Eeeww. I serve it from the pan
> rather than inverting to another serving plate. Seems I tried it once
> and rhubarb-custard stuff stuck to the pan. Bad idea.

I made this for a get-together hosted by my co-op and it disappeared
quickly (thanks, Barb!). I did cut the cake in the pan and transfer
it to a platter for serving. I cannot imagine trying to invert this
-- it took a little effort to make sure the custard was coming up
with the cake.

sd