Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake: FROZEN RHUBARB?

Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
Rhubarb?

Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.

Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
> Rhubarb?
>
> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.
>
> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
> Lynn in Fargo

Can't help you about the frozen rhubarb but my copy of Barb's recipe
calls for just one cup of sugar. YMMV

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 2:58*pm, "Dora" > wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> > Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
> > Rhubarb?

> > Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
> > whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.

> > Please help asap! *I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
> > Lynn in Fargo

> Can't help you about the frozen rhubarb but my copy of Barb's recipe
> calls for just one cup of sugar. *YMMV
>
> Dora

Thanks, Dora
The frozen rhubarb was fine - I just thawed it enough to cut it into
smaller pieces. Next time I'm going to use one cup of sugar. Should
I cut the heavy cream back from 2 cups to one cup also?
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2:58 pm, "Dora" > wrote:
>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>>> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with
>>> Frozen
>>> Rhubarb?

>>> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint
>>> of
>>> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.

>>> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
>>> Lynn in Fargo

>> Can't help you about the frozen rhubarb but my copy of Barb's
>> recipe
>> calls for just one cup of sugar. YMMV
>>
>> Dora

> Thanks, Dora
> The frozen rhubarb was fine - I just thawed it enough to cut it into
> smaller pieces. Next time I'm going to use one cup of sugar.
> Should
> I cut the heavy cream back from 2 cups to one cup also?
> Lynn in Fargo

My copy says "one pint" - obviously, two cups. Just in case your info
may vary, here's the recipe posted by Barb:

Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb Custard Cake

:Posted by Barb Schaller

1 Two-layer yellow cake mix
4 cups rhubarb -- chopped
1 cup sugar
1 pint whipping cream

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of
the cake batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the
whipping cream (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350º for 50-60
minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
Cream, sugar and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer.

Source:
"Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
> Rhubarb?
>
> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.
>
> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT

Lynn and others who have made this cake, a question for you. I
ordinarily detest cakes made with white or yellow cake mix. To me,
there's an off, ultra sweet, chemically (highly technical term there)
taste. Does the rhubarb offset that awful sweetness? Of course, I could
always take a shot and just make it myself.... I like the idear of
using frozen (slightly thawed) rhubarb.

TammyM, loves Barb's cream cheese coffee cake but not so much her
brownie recipe so she's twofertwo chez moi. Then again, her jammies are
pretty damned good, those Minnysoter ribbon-givers know what they're doin'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
>> Rhubarb?
>>
>> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
>> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.
>>
>> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT

> Lynn and others who have made this cake, a question for you. I
> ordinarily detest cakes made with white or yellow cake mix. To me,
> there's an off, ultra sweet, chemically (highly technical term
> there)
> taste. Does the rhubarb offset that awful sweetness? Of course, I
> could always take a shot and just make it myself.... I like the
> idear of using frozen (slightly thawed) rhubarb.
>
> TammyM, loves Barb's cream cheese coffee cake but not so much her
> brownie recipe so she's twofertwo chez moi. Then again, her jammies
> are pretty damned good, those Minnysoter ribbon-givers know what
> they're doin'

As Barb knows, this cake got rave reviews when she posted the recipe
but is doomed for me. Fresh rhubarb is seldom available here and we
tried raising rhubarb just for this cake. For three years in a row,
the plants died - and not for lack of care. So - the poor cake has
never been made.
Looks like frozen rhubarb will work - thanks, Lynn!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:50:06 -0700, TammyM > wrote:

>Lynn and others who have made this cake, a question for you. I
>ordinarily detest cakes made with white or yellow cake mix. To me,
>there's an off, ultra sweet, chemically (highly technical term there)
>taste. Does the rhubarb offset that awful sweetness? Of course, I could
> always take a shot and just make it myself.... I like the idear of
>using frozen (slightly thawed) rhubarb.

I tried it once with a home-made cake batter and it didn't turn out AT
ALL. I get much better results with a boxed cake mix.

If I don't need the whole huge sheet cake, I make half the recipe in a
square cake pan. (A ten inch pan, I believe.)

Also, I freeze rhubarb from my garden every year, and this cake is the
only recipe I have that uses it. A helpful hint is to thaw the rhubarb
and then squeeze out the excess moisture, same as you would do with
frozen spinach.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:50:06 -0700, TammyM > wrote:

>Lynn and others who have made this cake, a question for you. I
>ordinarily detest cakes made with white or yellow cake mix. To me,
>there's an off, ultra sweet, chemically (highly technical term there)
>taste. Does the rhubarb offset that awful sweetness? Of course, I could
> always take a shot and just make it myself.... I like the idear of
>using frozen (slightly thawed) rhubarb.

I made it once and it was too sweet for us - the rhubarb didn't help.
We don't eat enough cake to make it a do over with less sugar.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:50:06 -0700, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> Lynn and others who have made this cake, a question for you. I
>> ordinarily detest cakes made with white or yellow cake mix. To me,
>> there's an off, ultra sweet, chemically (highly technical term there)
>> taste. Does the rhubarb offset that awful sweetness? Of course, I could
>> always take a shot and just make it myself.... I like the idear of
>> using frozen (slightly thawed) rhubarb.

> I made it once and it was too sweet for us - the rhubarb didn't help.
> We don't eat enough cake to make it a do over with less sugar.

I made it once, but I used my own yellow cake (not a mix), which isn't
ultra sweet, and we really liked it.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:33:20 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>I made it once, but I used my own yellow cake (not a mix), which isn't
>ultra sweet, and we really liked it.

Do you remember if you added extra sugar? Just curious. If I
remember correctly the texture was sort of like a tres leches cake (a
cake I happen to like) - so it wasn't the texture that put me off, it
was the ultra sweetness (which I didn't expect due to the rhubarb
content).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo > wrote in
on
Oct Sat 2009 01:04 am

> On Oct 23, 2:58*pm, "Dora" > wrote:
>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> > Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
>> > Rhubarb?

>> > Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
>> > whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.

>> > Please help asap! *I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
>> > Lynn in Fargo

>> Can't help you about the frozen rhubarb but my copy of Barb's recipe
>> calls for just one cup of sugar. *YMMV
>>
>> Dora

> Thanks, Dora
> The frozen rhubarb was fine - I just thawed it enough to cut it into
> smaller pieces. Next time I'm going to use one cup of sugar. Should
> I cut the heavy cream back from 2 cups to one cup also?
> Lynn in Fargo

I use just about any fruit or fruit combo in it...you need about 4 cups
of fruit.
I add 1 cup sugar and 2 cups whipping cream (as I like
custardy).
I don't think frozen rhubarb would be a problem, (that is if
it is not 1 big solid lump of 4 cups of rhubarb)as long as you can
sprinkle it around the cake pan, it should work ok.

My last version was a strawberry manderin orange cake. It vanished pretty quick at Canadian
Thanksgiving supper.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:50:06 -0700, TammyM wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
>> Rhubarb?
>>
>> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
>> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.
>>
>> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT

> Lynn and others who have made this cake, a question for you. I
> ordinarily detest cakes made with white or yellow cake mix. To me,
> there's an off, ultra sweet, chemically (highly technical term there)
> taste. Does the rhubarb offset that awful sweetness? Of course, I could
> always take a shot and just make it myself.... I like the idear of
> using frozen (slightly thawed) rhubarb.
>
> TammyM, loves Barb's cream cheese coffee cake but not so much her
> brownie recipe so she's twofertwo chez moi. Then again, her jammies are
> pretty damned good

for a moment i wondered how you happened to see barb in her nightclothes.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
> Rhubarb?
>
> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.
>
> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
> Lynn in Fargo

Lynn,
I guess it's too late now but here's my experience
using frozen rhubarb. It seems that if you use it frozen
the rhubarb doesn't sink to the bottom like it's supposed
to. The next time I make it with frozen I'm going to at
least partially thaw the rhubarb. I've done it with totally
thawed 'barb but there's too much "water" when you do that.
That's why I've been doing it with completely frozen 'barb.
The first time it didn't "sink" I thought it was just a fluke
but it's happened several times since so I'm going to go with
partial from now on. Still tastes good though. I think it's
the cold from the frozen 'barb that has to do with it not
sinking.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2:58 pm, "Dora" > wrote:
>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>>> Do I need to do anything different if I want to make it with Frozen
>>> Rhubarb?
>>> Also, my copy of the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and a pint of
>>> whipping cream for one box of cake mix in a 9 X 13" pan.
>>> Please help asap! I need this out of the oven by 1:00 pm CDT
>>> Lynn in Fargo

>> Can't help you about the frozen rhubarb but my copy of Barb's recipe
>> calls for just one cup of sugar. YMMV
>>
>> Dora

> Thanks, Dora
> The frozen rhubarb was fine - I just thawed it enough to cut it into
> smaller pieces. Next time I'm going to use one cup of sugar.

My version of the recipe calls for 1 c. sugar. I once used 1 1/2 c.
because I didn't have the recipe handy and I wasn't sure if it was
1 c. or 2 c. so I split the difference. It was fine, but probably
2 c. would be too much.

> Should
> I cut the heavy cream back from 2 cups to one cup also?

No, no, no! Never! Don't do it! Yikes! That would be
awful!

Kate