Posted to rec.food.cooking
pablo

Default Question about frozen rhubarb

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
news

> I freeze the rhubarb I grow myself so I can't comment on commercially
> frozen rhubarb, but I wouldn't put mine in a colander. The liquid coming
> off it is not water but juice. I put mine in a pan and cook it down a
> bit.
Hey Ophelia.

I've heard of that technique before. (From the pastry bible?) AIR, you can
sugar the fruit and then let it drain in a strainer into a bowl. Cook down
the sugary liquid and your pie will cook faster, be less soupy, the fruit
won't turn to mush, and the bottom crust will thank you. (Sounds a little
like Wayne's trick with pumpkin pie that I'd also like to try sometime.)

Pablo
(Who's thinking about the frozen rhubarb in his freezer.)