Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stupid rhubarb question

Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

The leaves.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

> The leaves.
>
> --
> Jean B.

thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:31:29 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

The leaves
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 17:31:29 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?
>>

> The leaves

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

The part you trim away and don't eat, Silly Boy! (It's the leaves that
are sick-making.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

The leaves. High concentration of oxalic acid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

The stems are O)K, it's the leaves that have...oxalic acid, I think,
and are not edible.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 9:06*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
> > Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

> The stems are O)K, it's the leaves that have...oxalic acid, I think,
> and are not edible.
>
> gloria p

Of course the stems are OK - that's the entire part of the rhubarb
that's ever used.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

> The part you trim away and don't eat, Silly Boy! (It's the leaves
> that are sick-making.)

At the house we have many deer. They chomp the whole thing, down to
the ground. The leaves don't seem to bother them a bit - but we hoped
they'd at least get a tummy ache, darn them. So much for trying your
rhubarb custard cake, Barb.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 14:50:24 -0400:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Kswck" > wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't part of the rhubarb plant poisonous? Which part?

>> The part you trim away and don't eat, Silly Boy! (It's the
>> leaves that are sick-making.)

> At the house we have many deer. They chomp the whole thing,
> down to the ground. The leaves don't seem to bother them a
> bit - but we hoped they'd at least get a tummy ache, darn
> them. So much for trying your rhubarb custard cake, Barb.

I'm not sure that there is much that deer (horn-rats) cannot eat. At the
moment, despite cropping the ivy and practically everthing else in reach
to the ground during the winter, they have left the periwinkle alone.
Periwinkle (Vinca minor) is grown commercially for its alkaloid content
in Hungary and perhaps deer can smell those. Come to think of it, I
don't think they eat daffodils either.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Dora wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 14:50:24 -0400:
>
>> At the house we have many deer. They chomp the whole thing,
>> down to the ground. The leaves don't seem to bother them a
>> bit - but we hoped they'd at least get a tummy ache, darn
>> them. So much for trying your rhubarb custard cake, Barb.

> I'm not sure that there is much that deer (horn-rats) cannot eat. At
> the moment, despite cropping the ivy and practically everthing else
> in reach to the ground during the winter, they have left the
> periwinkle alone. Periwinkle (Vinca minor) is grown commercially for
> its alkaloid content in Hungary and perhaps deer can smell those.
> Come to think of it, I don't think they eat daffodils either.

But don't try planting lilies - or hosta - or *anything*!! I've been
told, however, they steer clear of marigolds. Maybe a ring of
marigolds should be planted around the rhubarb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dora" > wrote:
> At the house we have many deer. They chomp the whole thing, down to
> the ground. The leaves don't seem to bother them a bit - but we hoped
> they'd at least get a tummy ache, darn them. So much for trying your
> rhubarb custard cake, Barb.
>
> Dora

Where's yer shotgun, Dora? <grin>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dora" > wrote:
>> At the house we have many deer. They chomp the whole thing, down
>> the ground. The leaves don't seem to bother them a bit - but we
>> hoped they'd at least get a tummy ache, darn them. So much for
>> trying your rhubarb custard cake, Barb.
>>
>> Dora

> Where's yer shotgun, Dora? <grin>

Gotta good recipe?