Do You Fix Certain Foods On New Year's Day (For Good Luck)?

Old 27-12-2011, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do You Fix Certain Foods On New Year's Day (For Good Luck)?

Some of our friends say they always start the new year out with a
particular menu, as it is to bring good luck all year long.

I think they said they fix pork and sauerkraut and red beans and rice,
but not sure if they have all of that on New Year's Day. We've never
done anything like that. If we have turkey at Christmas, then we'll
usually cook a ham for New Years, or vise versa, but it's never the same
year after year.

Do you have a certain type of food you fix every single year on that
day, and have you even heard of this being done before?

Judy

Old 27-12-2011, 02:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

Some of our friends say they always start the new year out with a
particular menu, as it is to bring good luck all year long.

I think they said they fix pork and sauerkraut and red beans and rice,
but not sure if they have all of that on New Year's Day. We've never
done anything like that. If we have turkey at Christmas, then we'll
usually cook a ham for New Years, or vise versa, but it's never the same
year after year.

Do you have a certain type of food you fix every single year on that
day, and have you even heard of this being done before?

I like to have black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. I don't believe it brings
me luck; it's just something I like to do. This time around it'll be kale
with mushrooms, smoked grape tomatoes, and black-eyed pea vinaigrette.

Bob

Old 27-12-2011, 06:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
b.com...
Judy wrote:

Some of our friends say they always start the new year out with a
particular menu, as it is to bring good luck all year long.

I think they said they fix pork and sauerkraut and red beans and rice,
but not sure if they have all of that on New Year's Day. We've never
done anything like that. If we have turkey at Christmas, then we'll
usually cook a ham for New Years, or vise versa, but it's never the same
year after year.

Do you have a certain type of food you fix every single year on that
day, and have you even heard of this being done before?

I like to have black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. I don't believe it
brings me luck; it's just something I like to do. This time around it'll
be kale with mushrooms, smoked grape tomatoes, and black-eyed pea
vinaigrette.

I buy black eyed peas but I don't do them with greens. Nobody will eat them
but me though.

Old 27-12-2011, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

I buy black eyed peas but I don't do them
with greens. Nobody will eat them but
me though.

Would you believe I've never bought black eyed peas, nor have I ever
tasted them...that I'm aware of anyway? Never heard of anyone fixing
them on New Year's Day, as part of a tradition.

Judy

Old 27-12-2011, 08:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

I buy black eyed peas but I don't do them with greens. Nobody will eat
them but me though.

Would you believe I've never bought black eyed peas, nor have I ever
tasted them...that I'm aware of anyway? Never heard of anyone fixing
them on New Year's Day, as part of a tradition.

That's because you're very, very far from the land of cotton.

Bob

Old 27-12-2011, 03:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

I buy black eyed peas but I don't do them
with greens. Nobody will eat them but
me though.

Would you believe I've never bought black eyed peas, nor have I ever
tasted them...that I'm aware of anyway? Never heard of anyone fixing
them on New Year's Day, as part of a tradition.

Judy

I do, every year. It's always been a tradition in our home. I love black
eyed peas and white cornbread!

Cheri

Old 27-12-2011, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 04:41:41 -0600, "Storrmmee" wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
I do savory and sweet crepes and omelettes to order, and we always have a
huge ham, a country pate en croute, a Welsh trifle, a ten-layer dark
chocolate-orange torte, assorted cookies, and a couple of cases of Gruet blanc
de noirs plus orange and mango juices....

that torte recipe would be nice, Lee

Hmmm, it came from Gourmet, around 25 years ago. I'm not at home, so I don't
have the detailed recipe, but from memory:

- Make enough pie crust dough from your favorite recipe for ten nine-inch
rounds. Use orange juice instead of water, and add the grated zest of two
oranges.

- Roll the dough out into disks nine inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick.
Prick all over with a fork, and bake at 350 until beginning to brown at the
edges. Cool completely.

- Make a double batch (two small boxes [3.75 oz.?], or one large) of dark
chocolate pudding --*not* instant! -- and, after bringing to the boil, remove
from the heat; stir and melt in whatever rich, dark chocolate you have handy, to
taste. Even a bag of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips works great. (I like
to reinforce the orange flavor by also adding a teaspoon of blood orange extract
to the pudding.) Cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- On a plate, begin with a pie crust round, then top with about 1/4 inch of the
pudding mixture, and repeat layers until you add the final pie crust round. Do
not top the final pie crust round with pudding.

- Cover and refrigerate as long as necessary - overnight is fine.

- Just before serving, top with fresh whipped cream.

- Slice thinly (because it's *very* rich) and serve with additional whipped
cream on the side..

-- Larry