Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Do You Fix Certain Foods On New Year's Day (For Good Luck)?

Judy wrote:

> Some of our friends say they always start the new year out with a
> particular menu, as it is to bring good luck all year long.
>
> I think they said they fix pork and sauerkraut and red beans and rice,
> but not sure if they have all of that on New Year's Day. We've never
> done anything like that. If we have turkey at Christmas, then we'll
> usually cook a ham for New Years, or vise versa, but it's never the same
> year after year.
>
> Do you have a certain type of food you fix every single year on that
> day, and have you even heard of this being done before?

I like to have black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. I don't believe it brings
me luck; it's just something I like to do. This time around it'll be kale
with mushrooms, smoked grape tomatoes, and black-eyed pea vinaigrette.

Bob