st.helier

Default Good luck to our Florida correspondents

"Dale Williams" wrote in message
> I know there's quite a few posters from Florida here,
> just a note to say we're thinking good thoughts for you!

Sitting up in the dead of night watching events unfold from Athens, on a
winters Sunday night (or is it Monday morning yet!!!!) after entertaining
some very jet-lagged guests from Cumbria (who arrived in Auckland this
morning with a gift for moi - a bottle of Highland Park 1958 Limited Edition
Single Malt Whisky (without the "e") - numbered 491 of 665 - oh joy, joy -
have a small glass at hand - almost orange in colour; quite nutty nose with
decided almond flavours - slightly smoky finish - Mmmmmmmmm!

I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.

My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -

"Oh the horror!!"

Condolences!
--
st.h

jcoulter

"st.helier" > wrote in
:

> I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
> Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.
>
> My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>
> "Oh the horror!!"
>
> Condolences!
> --
> st.h

Don't worry George will be here to save the day before the week is through.
But seriously this was one mean strom I am lucky that I was in the early
path. spent most of the day scurying around to get ready only to watch the
storm drop further south. It is one of those reliefs tempered with the
knowledge that my good fortune was not for my southern neighbors many of
whom did not have as much time to prepare as those of us who were
unaffected. Nasty things these storms.

jcoulter

"st.helier" > wrote in
:

> I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
> Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.
>
> My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>
> "Oh the horror!!"
>
> Condolences!
> --
> st.h

Don't worry George will be here to save the day before the week is through.
But seriously this was one mean strom I am lucky that I was in the early
path. spent most of the day scurying around to get ready only to watch the
storm drop further south. It is one of those reliefs tempered with the
knowledge that my good fortune was not for my southern neighbors many of
whom did not have as much time to prepare as those of us who were
unaffected. Nasty things these storms.

jcoulter

jcoulter > wrote in
:

> "st.helier" > wrote in
> :
>

>> I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
>> Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.
>>
>> My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>>
>> "Oh the horror!!"
>>
>> Condolences!
>> --
>> st.h
>>

> Don't worry George will be here to save the day before the week is
> through. But seriously this was one mean strom I am lucky that I was
> in the early path. spent most of the day scurying around to get ready
> only to watch the storm drop further south. It is one of those reliefs
> tempered with the knowledge that my good fortune was not for my
> southern neighbors many of whom did not have as much time to prepare
> as those of us who were unaffected. Nasty things these storms.

Wine to celebrate with-Les Charmes from Macon Lugny, what else (especially
with heavy drinkers who idea of great wine is scotch!)

jcoulter

jcoulter > wrote in
:

> "st.helier" > wrote in
> :
>

>> I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
>> Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.
>>
>> My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>>
>> "Oh the horror!!"
>>
>> Condolences!
>> --
>> st.h
>>

> Don't worry George will be here to save the day before the week is
> through. But seriously this was one mean strom I am lucky that I was
> in the early path. spent most of the day scurying around to get ready
> only to watch the storm drop further south. It is one of those reliefs
> tempered with the knowledge that my good fortune was not for my
> southern neighbors many of whom did not have as much time to prepare
> as those of us who were unaffected. Nasty things these storms.

Wine to celebrate with-Les Charmes from Macon Lugny, what else (especially
with heavy drinkers who idea of great wine is scotch!)

Bill

jcoulter wrote:

>>I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
>>Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.

> Don't worry George will be here to save the day before the week is through.
> But seriously this was one mean strom I am lucky that I was in the early
> path. spent most of the day scurying around to get ready only to watch the
> storm drop further south. It is one of those reliefs tempered with the
> knowledge that my good fortune was not for my southern neighbors many of
> whom did not have as much time to prepare as those of us who were
> unaffected. Nasty things these storms.

Two years ago I was trying to buy a house in Punta Gorda and the first
thing the real estate agent presented to me was a chart of all the hurricanes
in the Gulf since 1859 that showed none had ever hit Punta Gorda/Charlotte
Harbor. I guess Charley made up for it. I bought instead at Daytona Beach
in a high rise condo. The town hall right across the street from me is now
flat. Our power never went off and the wine cooler is still purring.

Bill

jcoulter wrote:

>>I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
>>Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.

> Don't worry George will be here to save the day before the week is through.
> But seriously this was one mean strom I am lucky that I was in the early
> path. spent most of the day scurying around to get ready only to watch the
> storm drop further south. It is one of those reliefs tempered with the
> knowledge that my good fortune was not for my southern neighbors many of
> whom did not have as much time to prepare as those of us who were
> unaffected. Nasty things these storms.

Two years ago I was trying to buy a house in Punta Gorda and the first
thing the real estate agent presented to me was a chart of all the hurricanes
in the Gulf since 1859 that showed none had ever hit Punta Gorda/Charlotte
Harbor. I guess Charley made up for it. I bought instead at Daytona Beach
in a high rise condo. The town hall right across the street from me is now
flat. Our power never went off and the wine cooler is still purring.

Bill

jcoulter wrote:

> How much notice did you get of the storm? I live just north of St Augustine
> within a 1/4 mile of the beach. We still expected to be hit by hurricane
> winds at 9PM Friday. Went to bed sure that I would be swimming by 3am
> instead woke at 6:00 to clearing skies. (St Augustine 14 miles south, was
> the target at the time)

I think when the storm turned into Port Charlotte about 3 PM, we were put on
the path then.

I was worried about forming a wine tasting group in Daytona but a 90
mile drive down to Daytona would be just right for you. Sooner or later
we will have to find a restaurant close to the half way point and tell
some lies. I will be in Maryland until 26 September.

Bill

Mark Lipton wrote:

> "Snack Jack" in Flagler Beach is a good seaside seafood shack,
> unpretentious and simple, but not a place that I'd offer for an offline
> ;-) Surely there must some place worth dining at in Palm Coast?? FWIW,
> my in-laws in Ormond Beach and Port Orange are all still without power
> and will be for days. How Bill got power in Daytona I don't know.
>
> And, Bill, I had no idea that you'd (partially) relocated. Depending on
> circumstances, I might be able to join you two for dinner some time when
> I'm in the area...

We'll find a Palm Restaurant for you Mark. Snack Jack has a $35 corkage fee
now. Only kidding. But it is about the only place on Flagler. There is a
very nice place on the north side of Ormond that has a good wine cellar. I
think it is called Stonewood. I will be down there until Christmas
I think and will look forward to seeing you when the weather turns cold up
there in Indiana.

And everything in Port Orange is closed today. There were 15 power company
trucks from West Virginia in Aunt Catfish's parking lot Friday at lunch.
I guess they left Saturday morning without taking care of Port Orange.

Bill

Mark Lipton wrote:

> "Snack Jack" in Flagler Beach is a good seaside seafood shack,
> unpretentious and simple, but not a place that I'd offer for an offline
> ;-) Surely there must some place worth dining at in Palm Coast?? FWIW,
> my in-laws in Ormond Beach and Port Orange are all still without power
> and will be for days. How Bill got power in Daytona I don't know.
>
> And, Bill, I had no idea that you'd (partially) relocated. Depending on
> circumstances, I might be able to join you two for dinner some time when
> I'm in the area...

We'll find a Palm Restaurant for you Mark. Snack Jack has a $35 corkage fee
now. Only kidding. But it is about the only place on Flagler. There is a
very nice place on the north side of Ormond that has a good wine cellar. I
think it is called Stonewood. I will be down there until Christmas
I think and will look forward to seeing you when the weather turns cold up
there in Indiana.

And everything in Port Orange is closed today. There were 15 power company
trucks from West Virginia in Aunt Catfish's parking lot Friday at lunch.
I guess they left Saturday morning without taking care of Port Orange.

Vino

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:36:40 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>
>"Oh the horror!!"

What was the movie and the actor? I'm getting this line mixed up with
a phrase uttered during the (very) famous live commentary of the
Hindenberg disaster in the 30's. Can't remember who the commentator
was.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Vino

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:36:40 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>
>"Oh the horror!!"

What was the movie and the actor? I'm getting this line mixed up with
a phrase uttered during the (very) famous live commentary of the
Hindenberg disaster in the 30's. Can't remember who the commentator
was.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Dale Williams

>>My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>>
>>"Oh the horror!!"
>>

>What was the movie and the actor?

Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. I'm pretty sure the line was also in the
original, Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

>>My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>>
>>"Oh the horror!!"
>>

>What was the movie and the actor?

Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. I'm pretty sure the line was also in the
original, Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dave

Pardon my interjection, but I am trying to get information on the
situation in Port Orange. My mom is there, and I am here near
Sacramento, California, and can't get any phone numbers in Port Orange
to answer. I would appreciate anything you could tell me. Either
Thanks.

Oh, and the actor you might be thinking of is Marlon Brando as Colonel
Kurtz in "Apocalypse Now".

Vino > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:36:40 +1200, "st.helier"
> > wrote:
>
> >My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
> >
> >"Oh the horror!!"
> >

> What was the movie and the actor? I'm getting this line mixed up with
> a phrase uttered during the (very) famous live commentary of the
> Hindenberg disaster in the 30's. Can't remember who the commentator
> was.
>
> Vino
> To reply, add "x" between
> letters and numbers of
> e-mail address.

Dave

Vino > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:36:40 +1200, "st.helier"
> > wrote:
>
> >My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
> >
> >"Oh the horror!!"
> >

> What was the movie and the actor? I'm getting this line mixed up with
> a phrase uttered during the (very) famous live commentary of the
> Hindenberg disaster in the 30's. Can't remember who the commentator
> was.
>
> Vino
> To reply, add "x" between
> letters and numbers of
> e-mail address.

Mark Lipton

Dave wrote:
> Pardon my interjection, but I am trying to get information on the
> situation in Port Orange. My mom is there, and I am here near
> Sacramento, California, and can't get any phone numbers in Port Orange
> to answer. I would appreciate anything you could tell me. Either

Dave,
FWIW, We've spoken with my sis-in-law in Port Orange on 3 separate
occasions in the past 48 hours. OTOH, we keep getting a busy signal
when phoning the parents-in-law in Ormond Beach. It sounds like it's a
pretty haphazard business right now, so don't panic.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Dave wrote:
> Pardon my interjection, but I am trying to get information on the
> situation in Port Orange. My mom is there, and I am here near
> Sacramento, California, and can't get any phone numbers in Port Orange
> to answer. I would appreciate anything you could tell me. Either

Dave,
FWIW, We've spoken with my sis-in-law in Port Orange on 3 separate
occasions in the past 48 hours. OTOH, we keep getting a busy signal
when phoning the parents-in-law in Ormond Beach. It sounds like it's a
pretty haphazard business right now, so don't panic.

Mark Lipton

Dave

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>> Pardon my interjection, but I am trying to get information on the
>> situation in Port Orange. My mom is there, and I am here near
>> Sacramento, California, and can't get any phone numbers in Port Orange
>> to answer. I would appreciate anything you could tell me. Either

> Dave,
> FWIW, We've spoken with my sis-in-law in Port Orange on 3 separate
> occasions in the past 48 hours. OTOH, we keep getting a busy signal
> when phoning the parents-in-law in Ormond Beach. It sounds like it's a
> pretty haphazard business right now, so don't panic.
>
> Mark Lipton

Mark, Bill, et al:

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I finally got through to mom
about an hour ago. She is sweltering in her trailer, playing solitaire
by flashlight with her cat. A big tree fell over between her home and
the one next to hers. It clipped her screen room, and the screens are
all torn off her windows by flying debris, but she is out of the rain.
No power yet, and mine was the first call to make her phone ring since
Friday night. She said that she went looking for a working phone, but
every pay phone she found had twenty people in line for it, and she
didn't want to wait out in the sun. Which I thought was a good
decision, since she's almost 80. Anyway, she is in good shape, and I
appreciate everyone who took the time to get me info on the situation in
Port Orange.

Best, Dave
Dan the Man

Vino > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:36:40 +1200, "st.helier"
> > wrote:
>
> >My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
> >
> >"Oh the horror!!"
> >

> What was the movie and the actor? I'm getting this line mixed up with
> a phrase uttered during the (very) famous live commentary of the
> Hindenberg disaster in the 30's. Can't remember who the commentator
> was.
>
> Vino
> To reply, add "x" between
> letters and numbers of
> e-mail address.

I'm pretty sure the line from the Hindenberg newsreel was, "Oh, the humanity!"

Dan-O
Dan the Man

Vino > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:36:40 +1200, "st.helier"
> > wrote:
>
> >My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
> >
> >"Oh the horror!!"
> >

> What was the movie and the actor? I'm getting this line mixed up with
> a phrase uttered during the (very) famous live commentary of the
> Hindenberg disaster in the 30's. Can't remember who the commentator
> was.
>
> Vino
> To reply, add "x" between
> letters and numbers of
> e-mail address.

I'm pretty sure the line from the Hindenberg newsreel was, "Oh, the humanity!"

Dan-O
Hunt

In article >,
says...

>"Dale Williams" wrote in message
>> I know there's quite a few posters from Florida here,
>> just a note to say we're thinking good thoughts for you!

> Sitting up in the dead of night watching events unfold from Athens, on a
>winters Sunday night (or is it Monday morning yet!!!!) after entertaining
>some very jet-lagged guests from Cumbria (who arrived in Auckland this
>morning with a gift for moi - a bottle of Highland Park 1958 Limited Edition
>Single Malt Whisky (without the "e") - numbered 491 of 665 - oh joy, joy -
>have a small glass at hand - almost orange in colour; quite nutty nose with
>decided almond flavours - slightly smoky finish - Mmmmmmmmm!
>
>I was contemplating writing some smart-arse comments re elections and
>Florida and Jeb Bush etc etc when I just learned of the death toll.
>
>My favourite line, from a favourite actor in a favourite movie -
>
>"Oh the horror!!"
>
>Condolences!
> --
>st.h

Marlon Brando in Francis Ford Coppolla's "Apocalypse Now" from Joseph Conrad's
"Heart of Darkness?" Wow, now that is getting in the "wine" reference -
Coppolla.

Best of luck to all of our friends in Punta Gorda!

Hunt